Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

IMG_0515.thumb.jpg.b0935dfd3b761e657e8a47f5a7557f57.jpg

Is it just me (and my mild OCD) that likes things coiled up neatly so you don't have to spend fifteen minutes undoing the knots at the next gig?  

It's not just you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Is it just me (and my mild OCD) that likes things coiled up neatly so you don't have to spend fifteen minutes undoing the knots at the next gig?  

It's not just you. Electric string does that as soon as you turn your back. 

Buying cables I look for those neat little elastic-and-hook loops some have which make it easy to secure them into some semblance of order which might stay put until the next time they come out of the gig bag. 

16 minutes ago, josie said:

It's not just you. Electric string does that as soon as you turn your back. 

Buying cables I look for those neat little elastic-and-hook loops some have which make it easy to secure them into some semblance of order which might stay put until the next time they come out of the gig bag. 

I’m glad it’s not just me. But it gets worse, because...

...you can buy the hook and loop stuff in different colours. I have black for stuff the band owns, red for the mains and xlr leads for the lights, and yellow for everything I own.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

I’m glad it’s not just me. But it gets worse, because...

...you can buy the hook and loop stuff in different colours. I have black for stuff the band owns, red for the mains and xlr leads for the lights, and yellow for everything I own.  

That's not worse, it's better! 🙂 I also have little coloured ribbon ties on the ends of all my cables so I can tell (1) which end belongs to which and (2) which cables belong to me. I'm trying to get the others to visibly tag mic stands and PA stands too so we know for sure who should go home with exactly what. 

I was playing with The Upstagers at The Whyteleafe Fair this afternoon. Managed to get some of the passers by to watch a bit of the band but these events are always hit or miss.

Good news is that one of the local pub owners was running a beer stand and we're now doing a gig at his boozer in a couple of weeks - result! 😊

37216402_194802487865200_4956879656767717376_o.jpg

41 minutes ago, josie said:

That's not worse, it's better! 🙂 I also have little coloured ribbon ties on the ends of all my cables so I can tell (1) which end belongs to which and (2) which cables belong to me...

Snap..! The coloured cord end goes to the console; yellow for Xlr, red for jacks and blue for speaker cable. I've the same PA cables for over fifteen years, thanks to knowing which are mine. I, too, fit thin velcro loops for keeping the cables coiled up neatly. S'easy, really; now even our singer knows how and what to plug in where, and how to tidy 'em up afterwards. Result..! :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blimey, seems to be all competitions with us. Tonights gig was at the international gliding championships.

Seriously "up for it" audience but well boozed up as  I imagine they'd all spent the week stone cold sober for the competition so it was let your hair down time. We played well and got booked for next year.

7 hours ago, josie said:

That's not worse, it's better! 🙂 I also have little coloured ribbon ties on the ends of all my cables so I can tell (1) which end belongs to which and (2) which cables belong to me. I'm trying to get the others to visibly tag mic stands and PA stands too so we know for sure who should go home with exactly what. 

And worse/better......

All the cables etc our church band uses are 'communal', ie jacks, XLR, and cables for our individual in-ear mixers, and are stored in separate  colour coded boxes.  The cables themselves have TWO tags, one to match the box they are kept in, but the second tag denotes their length.  Drummer needs long ones as he’s farthest from the stage box, bassist is closest so needs the shortest.

Helped out at a sort of gig yesterday.  Three of my grand-daughters were taking part in a dance show, and my son-in-law did the sound and lighting (he’s a semi-pro DJ).  Venue was a small theatre, but we couldn’t use their rigs, so I was roped in to help set up.

As well as the usual synch’d music and lights he had ‘shadowgraph’ screens each side of the stage.  

The (almost) two hour show went off without a hitch, but I’m not sure the total of five hours set up and pack down time was completely worth it (except it was for our kids!!)

Edited by Baxlin

I felt we had a great gig last night.  It was a 50th birthday party, venue was a beautiful walled communal garden area from and old manor house.  The hawaiian theme suited the beautiful summers evening perfectly!

The audience took a long time to warm up to us, I think some of that was to do with set list but mostly the fact that people didn't come to watch music, it was a social evening with BBQ food and booze on tap that had most occupied - we were largely in the background.  That being said as the sun set and the drink flowed more and more people got up and started dancing.  Being called for 3 encores is never a bad sign!!

We are a hobby band and don't gig much, it was the first time I'd played live for a year - nerves were high on my side but we sounded tight and I'd played as well as I ever have done.  A couple of wrong notes and one time (during encore) I messed up a little but on the whole a fun evening!

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 2

Bit of a tense one last night for us. As we soundchecked at Sheffield City Hall it became apparent that our singer was really struggling with his voice, and we worried we may have to pull the gig. Fortunately he decided to go ahead, and after a few dodgy moments in the first 3 or 4 songs his voice somehow regained it's strength and he powered through the rest! Really pleased, as we always have a good crowd in Sheffield, and they didn't disappoint - up on their feet in the 2nd set and lots of smiling faces. Great venue too, with top staff and facilities. All in all a good gig for us, made better by good pizza and beer in the nearby Brew Dog bar too!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, josie said:

I use a bit of red tape on all my stuff.
When there's a 'drink spill' issue - usually best to wipe down before pack away - usually the bar staff will have a cloth they can lend you.
Sticky cables in the morning are not very nice - and if its the bad gear - you might not find them until the next week.

We played a return gig at the Rose and Crown in Rushden last night - the 'stage' is an alcove opposite the bar - bear in mind we are a seven piece - its a bit snug. Still we got the whole show in there including back drop, full PA and foldback. Most of the bags and cases had to go outside to the motors.

This is an odd venue - we went on at 9.00 for the first hour and had a an audience of about 40 - second set at 11.00 - the place was rammed - largely good tempered crowd (last time we had some real pillocks in there) - There was one punch up - a girl started leathering her old man just in front of us. They had good security and they were carted out - the manager had put one of those screens that they use around tables on the street across the front of the stage so the singers didn't have the mics knocking their teeth out.

34 minutes ago, dontregartha said:

There was one punch up - a girl started leathering her old man just in front of us. 

Ok, you got me on this one. Can anyone tranlate this into Yankee talk?

Leathering? Is it something I might enjoy? :)

Blue

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Ok, you got me on this one. Can anyone tranlate this into Yankee talk?

Leathering? Is it something I might enjoy? :)

Blue

😂

leathering is the art of fisticuffs outside of the marquess of queesnbury's rules 😏

Alternatively, a girl started beating up her boyfriend at the event 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dontregartha said:

so the singers didn't have the mics knocking their teeth out.

Seen a three piece band in a local about 6 weeks ago. The bass player/ lead singer got exactly that. Both front teeth, very neatly, right out and into a pint of Guinness on the floor. Was vary hard to watch, but he never missed a word and finished the set. 

Unfortunately one of our favourite venues is like that, no separation between the band and the group with people pushing past and knocking your mic over or into you, can get a bit wearing sometimes. And then once some guy fell through the drum kit, took a bit of effort to stop the drummer using him as the drumkit. And normally an overly drunk woman will fall over a monitor that she should have been near.

8 hours ago, lurksalot said:

😂

leathering is the art of fisticuffs outside of the marquess of queesnbury's rules 😏

Alternatively, a girl started beating up her boyfriend at the event 👍

Ok, not what I was thinking at all.

Although as " hard up" as I am, even a beating from an attractive lady might  not be all that bad.

And I have no idea where the invisible bear is. :)

Blue

• Haha 1

It was ok. The band was sounding pretty good.

We played a biker Road House, but is was some sort of an event. They raffled off a Harley.

There were a lot of people and they had bars set up outside.

Some people were into us and some not. It is what it is., a 4 hour bar gig, 3-7.

Blue

IMG_20180708_230848.jpg

We played an 'end of term' party for staff at a school. Lovely evening so we set up outside. The staff had been on it since getting rid of the kids at 15:30 so were suitably merry. 

Finish the first song and about half the staff disappear giggling, -not a good sign....Only to return a fee minutes later in fancy dress. They're raided the drama studio, lol! 😂 Best one was the inflatable sumo suits,! 

Next song, I spy the climbing frame, and manage to scale it to the top without missing a note, big jump off as the chorus drops. 

Three songs from the end, the head takes a call of a noise complaint and the news that the Police are on their way. We run through them quickly and save 'YMCA' til the end, so that if the police do turn up at least it'll be funny. 

Weirdest, but funniest one in a while! 

1 hour ago, peteb said:

So have I, not so much Harley events but definitely 'backpatch' biker club ones. 

It happens everywhere for us. We're not really a band for dancing.

Also guys in the USA tend not to dance. The single guys looking for action with the ladies sort have to dance or your chances of getting anywhere are slim 

I can't dance and I won't dance. I'm way to self conscious. Some guys can get out there and don't have a care in the world. That ain't me.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine