Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 27/06/2018 at 14:47, musicbassman said:

Well, if we're going back a bit, here I am playing with a band called East Side Cruisers at the Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road in1975.............

.................  '63 Precision !  Wonder where it is now................

Old band pics002.jpg

Great pics.

Looks quite similar to my 63, but then again most stripped ones do look pretty much the same...

Another first for us last night, we played a high school prom. Was a little unsure how we would go down but knew the organiser so trusted her. Picked mostly our newest songs age wise but needn’t have worried as it was the classics that went down really well.  Seeing kids of 16 blasting out stuff I was inging when I wa s their age 30 years ago was a real buzz if a bit weird if I think about. We wouldn’t have been singing stuff from the 50s at that age. We set up early as they had a DJ on first and after us as well. When we played our set the crowd completely changed bar a few hardcore dancers but the dance floor was full the whole time. The site staff helped us load unload as well so great night. Plus a request for a repeat next year.

• Like 1

Just back in from a gig on the other side of Oxford. Private birthday party, we were constantly told we were too loud and asked to turn down until we could barely hear each other on stage. Quite a few people dancing, but also quite a few who just wanted (not unreasonably) to catch up with friends and family and didn't want music to get in the way Which is fair enough, but someone had booked us! Bandleader is a smart cookie and made sure we were paid before we started. They booked us for two hours of music, starting just after 7 pm but somehow expected us to hang around until midnight. Which we didn't. Even as we were packing up people were asking us to stay and carry on, but no more money was offered so we didn't. As we were leaving, the bar staff put the pub's 'entertainment system' on, and it was much louder than we had been playing!

Stopped off at a friend's party on the way home in the hope of a jam, but the band had already packed and left. 

Just remembered, I used my Gibson EB4 for all three sets tonight, sounded great. It's only the second gig I've played with it since buying it last Autumn, think it deserves to be taken out more often. Felt incredibly light compared to my usual Fenders.

Next gig is with the Grateful Dudes in Dorset next weekend. Playing 2 sets on Friday and 2 completely different ones on Saturday. Should be fun!

Edited by FinnDave

Just returned from a bouncing gig in town , it was races today so there were plenty of well oiled punters about. 

A couple of loose cannons but nothing outrageous so a good time was had by all , they really were shouting for more  but the midnight curfew put that idea to bed 

Played the Tockwith Beer Festival with both my bands last night.  Third outing of my Limelight Fretless - sounded great.  Very friendly event in a marquee with an appreciative crowd and I'm pretty sure both bands will be asked back next year.

41312077120_36053540f8_b.jpg

Edited by Kirky

Another depping gig with The Flotonics from Amesbury. Same venue as before, The Duck Inn, Laverstock.

Thoroughly enjoyable gig playing Motown and soul music. Not a big crowd but The Flos always attract a few of Salisbury's muso crowd. Tich from Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich was there watching. Word must be getting around about my bass playing😂

• Like 1

Played well, paid well but the distance was a bit too much for me. 520 kms round trip. Left home at 1.45pm yesterday, got in this morning at 6.45am. It was a double 50th birthday celebration. Lovely hosts, great food and whatever we wanted in the way of drink (not me, I drove back so orange and lemonade all night)

Probably all in for next couple of days.

By the way, when we started playing, it was still 28 degrees, at nearly 10.pm!!

Edited by leschirons
Left something out.

Friday night supporting the Wildhearts, then Saturday night doing a local benefit gig our frontman organised for a friend of ours. Both brilliant gigs but I didn't play well as I was feeling rather ill. No-one else seemed to notice so who cares?! Me! I hate making mistakes. 

Another nice wedding gig on the weekend. 
A castle that was built in the mid 15th Century in Gloucester. 
Nice.
But it was a cool gig for a different reason.
Remember the Boo Radleys?
"Wake up Boo!"?
Probably been woken up to it by GMTv for many a year?
Well the lead singer was at the wedding as he is good friends with the bride. 
We played "Wake up Boo", with him singing as the bride and grooms first dance.
First time he's sung the song live in 20 years! 
He's done Glastonbury, and now he's played with The Big Easy. Nowhere else for him to go, so he may as well retire 😆
Real tidy bloke too.
You want picture proof?
Ok
ZorpPAF.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FuNkShUi said:

Nice.
"Wake up Boo!"?
He's done Glastonbury, and now he's played with The Big Easy. Nowhere else for him to go, so he may as well retire 😆
Real tidy bloke too.
You want picture proof?
Ok
ZorpPAF.jpg

That makes me smile ….. it's a great feel good pop song....cool😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

Fun! Love the quality of those backing vocals.

Blue

Thanks Blue. These two are our dream team... we have a number of singers that form the line up. Jules on the left is a well seasoned singer - has been pro and has loads of experience , Jo on the right is a complete newbie - has only done about 15 gigs in her life - all with us - was very nervous at the start but now has run the lead female spot on her own a couple of times. She can nail 'Respect' - not an easy song to sing. The girls take the lead on about half the numbers and alternate with each other as Martin the guitar player and male singer can't sing all of them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FuNkShUi said:

Nice.
"Wake up Boo!"?
Real tidy bloke too.
You want picture proof?
Ok
ZorpPAF.jpg

That's amazing. He's a great singer and I'd heard he'd given up music for good...

The Boos are well worth investigating beyond Wake Up Boo for those that haven't done so 😊 

12 hours ago, Raymondo said:

That makes me smile ….. it's a great feel good pop song....cool😎

It is good fun to play! 

8 hours ago, Dankology said:

That's amazing. He's a great singer and I'd heard he'd given up music for good...

The Boos are well worth investigating beyond Wake Up Boo for those that haven't done so 😊 

He has given up. He is a psychologist now. 
As i say, real tidy bloke too. We had a good laugh with him.

• Like 2

Just come back from playing a big garden party in the sunshine as part of a charity fundraiser. 

Watching the football this afternoon we realised we might need "Three Lions" should they win.

When it got to 2-0 I reached for my bass and a few texts later we'd all had a go at learning it as our set closer. 

Went down a storm. Of course it did! Probably not the most accurate version ever delivered but  even by our own last-minute standards that was a personal best. 

Oh yeah and it was my first gig with my new Jap Fender Mustang. It was great. 

Edited by bassbiscuits

Corporate gig, 5:00-9:00

Pros

1. Above average pay.

2.Paid in cash as soon as we arrived.

3. Load in was fantastic. ( See pic )

4. Brand new large stage

Cons

1. We're not a corporate/ functions band. We're a bar band.

2.Band wasn't playing up to my standards tonight.

3. The guests had absolutely no interest in the band.

SUMMERFEST tomorrow;

MAPLE ROAD!

SUMMERFEST 2018

Sunday July 8th at 5pm on the ULine Rock Stage.

The weather is going to be fantastic, and It's going to be a great night with Seven Dust as the 10pm headliner!

Blue

IMG_20180707_231355.jpg

Edited by Bluewine

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Corporate gig, 5:00-9:00

Pros

1. Above average pay.

2.Paid in cash as soon as we arrived.

3. Load in was fantastic. ( See pic )

4. Brand new large stage

Cons

1. We're not a corporate/ functions band. We're a bar band.

2.Band wasn't playing up to my standards tonight.

3. The guests had absolutely no interest in the band.

SUMMERFEST tomorrow;

MAPLE ROAD!

SUMMERFEST 2018

Sunday July 8th at 5pm on the ULine Rock Stage.

The weather is going to be fantastic, and It's going to be a great night with Seven Dust as the 10pm headliner!

Blue

IMG_20180707_231355.jpg

What? And no local hands to help? 😉

That, my friend, is quite the dream load-in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lurksalot said:

We did a quick scratch of the 3 lions as well , everyone sang along and that was all that mattered really 😂

We were asked to cover a gig as previous band pulled out at last minute..obviously didn't realise the footy was on.  had a bash at 3 lions but the drummer sulked (he's a Scot lol)  Given the short notice we played a great set to a small but very appreciative crowd in the garden of the pub, plenty of leftovers from the hog roast too so we all got doggy bags (well in my case moggy bag lol)

A three gig weekend for my blues band!!  Friday night at the Duck and Drake in Leeds, Saturday lunchtime at Yeadon Carnival (and back home in time for the England match) and Saturday night at the Junction in Otley.  Loads of feedback from regular listeners saying the Saturday gigs were the best we've ever played and sounded, which is nice after 6 years playing together.  Hoping we can maintain then momentum for our gig at the Blues Bar in Harrogate next Friday(13th).   

Edited by Kirky