Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, DrBike said:

After doing an extra long encore and packing up the van we made a point of "mingling" and got lots of good feedback from the punters and more importantly from the landlord/manager who commented on the fact that we entertained rather than just played. 

Hoping we'll be back there again on a regular basis! 

Me and/or the drummer often do a bit of mingling after the last song , it lets the punters and the landlord know you are interested and sows the seeds for recall before you hold your hand out for the cash 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Me and/or the drummer often do a bit of mingling after the last song , it lets the punters and the landlord know you are interested and sows the seeds for recall before you hold your hand out for the cash 👍

^Same.

Definitely worth doing.

• Like 1

Saturday night we played another very small pub. The owner loves music, he's in a band himself which played before us, so it's still a good place despite its size (or lack of).

It all went well. We don't play rock and pop crowd pleasers, we're a blues band,  so it's always nice when people like and are complimentary about what you're doing, despite probably not knowing 60% of your set.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 1

Another dep with a band wot I've been depping with. Nice lads, and they play all the songs I grew up listening to, so it's nice to finally play them.

I've done four or five with them now, so I'm getting confident enough to chip in with BVs now, too.

Here's a clip of Cinnamon Girl:

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

3 gig weekend and a monday recovering (probably as i was so hot last night and didn't drink much).

1st already described, the second, sunday afternoon our first open air gig of the year, and what was a regular last year. Local beauty spot, and coincided with lovely weather. The crowd was really big and they were really responsive, singing, clapping, dancing through to the end. Absolutely great gig. Then tear down, dash home, have something to eat and head out to a local newish pub. Large crowd, couldn't have really cared if we were there or not.

We had a small crowd of dancers and enthusiasts at the front, but the rest of the pub, although you could see them singing along or dancing amoungst themselves, no interaction from us at all.

Strange thing is, the drummer spent ages trying to get a gig at that pub, then they said they weren't doing gigs, then we went onto lemonrock, and got a gig from them the following week, then they contacted us 2 weeks later with a cancelation (but we were already busy), then they asked us back this week.

18 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Another dep with a band wot I've been depping with. Nice lads, and they play all the songs I grew up listening to, so it's nice to finally play them.

I've done four or five with them now, so I'm getting confident enough to chip in with BVs now, too.

Here's a clip of Cinnamon Girl:

Nice Job, love those vocals.

Blue

6 hours ago, lurksalot said:

If i did that I’d be sacked for not helping break down and hump the PA and lights!

11 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

If i did that I’d be sacked for not helping break down and hump the PA and lights!

We all leave the gig at the same time , we all pitch in , the cash isn't shared till we are ready to go .

for 1 of the band to spend 10 minutes showing some respect seems a no brainer to us . Some jobs take more effort than humping PA and lights if you've not done it before  :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lurksalot said:

We all leave the gig at the same time , we all pitch in , the cash isn't shared till we are ready to go .

for 1 of the band to spend 10 minutes showing some respect seems a no brainer to us . Some jobs take more effort than humping PA and lights if you've not done it before  :D

Yes, we all stay to tear down, pack and load lights and sound. Nobody splits while others are working.

Blue

In all seriousness my predecessor was sacked because he went missing when gear got loaded/unloaded. It's how some people are...

Edit: oh, and to be fair he refused to wear band 'uniform' and do backing vocals!

Edited by Mickeyboro

Don't often post in here (not sure why), but we had a weekend of gigs that was a bit different to our usual.
We usually play one or two weddings a week. But the venue for the wedding this weekend was a bit different....a hippy commune.
I don't know if that's the PC thing to call it (not sure what else to call it tbh) , but that's what it was.
And it was brilliant!!!  Such a fantastic venue. about 5 miles from any neighbours. All off grid and self sufficient.
Fantastic venue. Big open fields with various places to sit, all trees and bushes adorned with decoration. A really cool vibe , as you'd expect.
The actual wedding room was a massive circular stone building, that was decorated beautifully. Great sound in there. The bar staff were people who lived there, and were super friendly. All drinks were free (not so good for us as we don't drink when we play, but thought it was worth a mention). Amazing. Had so much fun!
Then on Sunday we played a public gig. Only play 2 or 3 a year.
We headlined a local cider festival, and there were about 500 odd people. Had a great laugh again. 
Top weather, top weekend. 

24 minutes ago, FuNkShUi said:

Don't often post in here (not sure why), but we had a weekend of gigs that was a bit different to our usual.
We usually play one or two weddings a week. But the venue for the wedding this weekend was a bit different....a hippy commune.
I don't know if that's the PC thing to call it (not sure what else to call it tbh) , but that's what it was.
And it was brilliant!!!  Such a fantastic venue. about 5 miles from any neighbours. All off grid and self sufficient.
Fantastic venue. Big open fields with various places to sit, all trees and bushes adorned with decoration. A really cool vibe , as you'd expect.
The actual wedding room was a massive circular stone building, that was decorated beautifully. Great sound in there. The bar staff were people who lived there, and were super friendly. All drinks were free (not so good for us as we don't drink when we play, but thought it was worth a mention). Amazing. Had so much fun!
Then on Sunday we played a public gig. Only play 2 or 3 a year.
We headlined a local cider festival, and there were about 500 odd people. Had a great laugh again. 
Top weather, top weekend. 

That commune sounds very like somewhere I played a few years ago - it wasn’t in north Devon was it?

24 minutes ago, DrBike said:

Regarding "mingling" it's always after the "tear down" and preferably after we got paid! 

When I was in function world, we often couldn't pack down until the end of the gig so inevitably 'mingling' occurred before that. Some members of the band could mingle so much they were useless  at the pack down anyway.....xD

16 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

There's a drummer 'round our way who actually starts dismantling his kit during the last song. By the end of it, everything that can be unscrewed has been.

I knew a guy like that. He used to (annoyingly) put his cases behind him on stage for easy access too. Whilst I'm all for a reasonably smartish get out of a gig, I really don't get what the rush is to save a few minutes afterwards, and it can give the wrong impression to bookers if the band are rushing around as soon as the last note has died away. Our band used to call them 'Doris Day' gigs ( quick pack away, quick pack away etc.... apologies to younger BC ers.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, casapete said:

Our band used to call them 'Doris Day' gigs ( quick pack away, quick pack away etc.... apologies to younger BC ers.)

Couple of East London/Essex covers bands I worked with - when they turned up at a venue and realised that either they were slightly unsuitable for the booking, or the place was a dive, they'd talk about doing a

Go Go Fo..........

Get on, Get off, F*** off.....................

• Like 1

Well, I didn't have anything booked last night, but I do know how my gig tomorrow is going to be - completely silent, as it has just been cancelled. I was offered another gig for tomorrow earlier in the week and turned it down as I was already booked, but now have no gig and no money. Really need to get the 'promotors' to tighten up on this sort of behaviour, it seems to be happening more and more.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Our gig tomorrow was cancelled too - double booking at the venue 😕

We got double booked for a gig we hadn’t even been booked for...

We played at a pub in Warwickshire in February, and left without making a return booking as the girl who booked us was off sick. She then messaged me the other day apologising profusely for double booking us next week and could we reschedule for later in the year? Happy to do so, but we had no booking for next week 😐