Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

14 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

We had a great little gig last night in Anglesey , we were recommended to the landlord and when he enquired we priced it at a decent amount for it . 1 and a 1/2 hour trip each way , a small crowd , free drinks for the band and a good night was had by all . 

A recall for the pub and a local festival possibly, also lots of talk of parties and recommends to other parts of the island , so a result 

I'm getting quite comfortable with my Gordon Smith shortscale , when practising the controls seem pretty insignificant tonally , but at gigging volumes there seems to be just enough to get the sound about right . 

Me and the wife go to Anglesey often. It's a great place for sea kayaking ( her, not me, I'm walking/drinking a circuit of the coastline bit by bit) and reasonably accessible from the Midlands. We'll be there for a week in August. Do you have a band page on Facebook or a website? It would be great to come and see you.

21 hours ago, Bluewine said:

An e kit might help. Thing is, a lot of people are not into the " loud rock band" thing.

We're a loud rock band and we try to appeal to the folks that are still into loud rock. We tell the owners what we are before they book us. We're not background music.

Blue

We're a noisy rock band too. The drummer just bought a perspex screen fishtank thing to limit his volume and it works a treat. Tightens everything up and the cymbals don't kill us anymore. It doubles up as place for us to hide when it gets rowdy....

36 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

The drummer just bought a perspex screen fishtank thing to limit his volume and it works a treat.

Lawks! I might suggest that to our drummist, though whether he wants to spend nearly £300 is a different matter!

Does it mean you can actually turn everything down just a touch so as not to induce tinnitus in every audience member?

1 hour ago, Len_derby said:

Me and the wife go to Anglesey often. It's a great place for sea kayaking ( her, not me, I'm walking/drinking a circuit of the coastline bit by bit) and reasonably accessible from the Midlands. We'll be there for a week in August. Do you have a band page on Facebook or a website? It would be great to come and see you.

That sounds cool , our facebook page is 

https://m.facebook.com/TheRazorsBand/?ref=bookmarks

we update the page regularly with gigs so hopefully we will be back on the island in the summer 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Lawks! I might suggest that to our drummist, though whether he wants to spend nearly £300 is a different matter!

Does it mean you can actually turn everything down just a touch so as not to induce tinnitus in every audience member?

Yes we can. We stick the kick thru the sub in the PA with the low end cut a bit, emphasise the top end click a touch and use my bass to sit under the top end. It's sounding much better and we're constantly getting "great sound" comments from the punters and landlords.

The problem we have in smaller pubs is not scaring the punters with the drums. This really works to tighten and contain everything and standing next to the cymbals isn't an issue anymore for me. 

And his screen was £600 with a flight case. Weighs a ton though.....

Edited by Mudpup

We separate the band from the crowd with a line of 4 mics, two monitor wedges and a large floor fan (singer gets hot - I freeze!). You get the odd stray, but I'm usually able to repel boarders with the headstock!

Last night we had a great gig at the Rose and Crown in Rushden Northants, packed rowdy crowd, but we went down well and got three enquiries. The bar team were helpful - security clearing the path out when we pulled out the gear. I had to use my little Ashdown Electric Blue DI'd into the PA as my Hartke died the night before and i had to do the whole show through the PA. 

7 hours ago, grumpyguts said:

I managed to get cramp in my left hand playing Footloose - it's late in the second set - trying to play that bassline with a stump of twisted digits didn't go too well..

That’s no good.... are you prone to it? I used to get it a lot in my fretting hand, my thumb would lock itself into my palm. Once it had happened it was game over for the night. It usually happened late in the set, last song as a rule but we had to abandon encores on a couple of occasions. I realised it only happened when I couldn’t hear myself well, and was subconsciously playing and pressing too hard to compensate.

16 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Both gigs were covering for someone who'd had to cancel so it was all a bit of a bonus and handy money to pay for the for new tyres my car needed after having a blow out doing 70mph on the M5 last weekend....

Nice, I recently bought new tires for my car with gig money.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

An absolutely fantastic debut for Retribution at a small bike rally in Yorkshire.  A few brain farts on my part but the band were very well received and we've been invited back for next year which works for me.   Now to hit the venues in Derbyshite/Nottinghamshire and see what dates we can pick up

I played my first gig with a new band on Friday and all went really well. A very small pub, so we were all crammed up next to one another, and I couldn't hear myself but it was great to be back gigging again after my previous band came to a stall last June.

Nice thing at the break. I got talking to a guy who'd been sat at the bar quite close to us. Turned out he was an ex-pro musician who'd had to give up some years ago due to ill health. We got chatting, he asked if he could have a noodle on my bass, said yes. Then he asked if he could sit in on a number or 2. The rest of the band were fine with it, so I had an extra long break :D  So, Bill, if you're on here, lovely to meet you and your playing is miles better than mine 

• Like 1

My 1st gig of the year was on Saturday night depping for the Flotonics. Their singer is our function band's ex singer and asked me to dep about 4 months back. It's been 4 months of slowly absorbing 30 old skool soul numbers.

The 2 rehearsals leading up to the gig impressed me. The guitarist has a cellar full of equipment so you just bring your instrument and plug in (drummer has the choice of 2 kits). We rattled through 28 tunes in about 2hrs and then chat over a pint in the pub. No other band I've been in has that work rate.

Gig itself was in Laverstock just outside Salisbury. Nice, friendly boozer but with a hen night on as well (mmm...pub rates with a party going on!). During soundcheck one of the party seemed very drunk and started making herself known to the band, telling us to keep playing and asking us "do you know any Queen?" She must've passed out soon after as I didn't see her again all evening.

Once we started the hen party were right there dancing and only stopped for fag breaks and the bit where the hen kisses/gropes/tries to purloin a pair of pants from a punter. Odd venue for a hen do but in the end they were our crowd and enjoyed it most, everyone else just watched.

1st gig playing 5 string (ibanez sr1205), 1st gig depping. Very good musicians so I really worked hard for this gig. Drummer Ley was in a band signed to CBS in the early 70s and you could tell, his drumming was some of the best I've had the pleasure of laying down a groove to. Singer is ex pro too. Guitarist and keys are of equally high standard with fantastic BVs. They seemed to enjoy my take on some of the basslines and were very complimentary (I hope they weren't just being nice).

Anyway, job done. I'm happy, punters were happy, rest of band happy. Looking forward to their bassist dropping out again B|.

DSC_2455.jpg

• Like 3

We had a blast of a gig at The Inn, Greatworth near Banbury last night. I expected a country pub with a couple of chilled out villagers. No, we got a pub full of the most ‘up for it’ party people we’ve seen for ages! Greatworth appears to be the kind of village where everyone goes out to the local at the weekend; it’s just far enough out of town that it’s easier to stay in the village than start getting into taxis etc.

We were squashed into a corner of the bar which meant we were eyeball to eyeball with the friendly crowd, who made us very welcome incidentally, which I always enjoy. Pretty much the whole pub was up and dancing from the word go, and didn’t sit down all night. We were still playing at midnight, they wouldn’t let us stop.

Really good tone from my MIM Jazz Deluxe and Genz Benz rig, sounded great.

When we were packing down I asked the landlord if the residents minded bands playing into the early hours? ‘No’, he said, ‘they’re all in here!’

We left having made some new friends and a return booking for later in the year - can’t wait to go back!

E9EBD17C-6CD3-4443-A1AD-806071054801.jpeg

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

We had a blast of a gig at The Inn, Greatworth near Banbury last night. I expected a country pub with a couple of chilled out villagers. No, we got a pub full of the most ‘up for it’ party people we’ve seen for ages! Greatworth appears to be the kind of village where everyone goes out to the local at the weekend; it’s just far enough out of town that it’s easier to stay in the village than start getting into taxis etc.

We were squashed into a corner of the bar which meant we were eyeball to eyeball with the friendly crowd, who made us very welcome incidentally, which I always enjoy. Pretty much the whole pub was up and dancing from the word go, and didn’t sit down all night. We were still playing at midnight, they wouldn’t let us stop.

Really good tone from my MIM Jazz Deluxe and Genz Benz rig, sounded great.

When we were packing down I asked the landlord if the residents minded bands playing into the early hours? ‘No’, he said, ‘they’re all in here!’

We left having made some new friends and a return booking for later in the year - can’t wait to go back!

This. It's so great to hear of positive buzzing gigs like this when many seem immersed in doom and gloom.BrunoBass, can I ask what sort of material/covers you're playing?

5 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

This. It's so great to hear of positive buzzing gigs like this when many seem immersed in doom and gloom.BrunoBass, can I ask what sort of material/covers you're playing?

It was a really good night; our last few pub gigs have been a bit underwhelming mainly due to largely apathetic crowds, despite our best efforts. It does get you down a bit so I think we all needed a really good gig. 

We play modern-ish rock and indie covers, stuff like Green Day, Foo Fighters, Muse, Royal Blood etc with a few oldies given an alt rock treatment, for example Addicted To Love. It’s all energetic stuff but I think on Friday it wouldn’t have mattered what style we played; I felt like the crowd were just up for a good night regardless. Still buzzing now! 

• Like 1

Second outing in a year with a Rock / Pop covers band last night. The band has had constant line up changes and we are on vocalist no. 4 (he had done 2 rehearsals and the gig last night was his entry into the band proper). It was a "90 percenter" so was really happy with that.

Just need to get the diary populated with more dates now :)

15 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Greatworth appears to be the kind of village where everyone goes out to the local at the weekend; it’s just far enough out of town that it’s easier to stay in the village than start getting into taxis etc.

Same here - little village pubs where the age range is 18 to 80 (actually 82). Very friendly as it is the drummers home village. Very very cosy but had a certain charm to it...

halfmoon.thumb.jpg.f5e126ee1cee33ab80707b8ad309b83c.jpg

• Like 1

We had a blast playing Ariba's last night in Butler.

Low ceilings and carpeted floors made it easy to dial in our sound.And the bar was right next to our spot in the front of the room.

Nice crowd and Ariba's now has bands on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night.

Blue

IMG_20180506_024549.jpg

FB_IMG_1525591103217.jpg

Edited by Bluewine

Turned out well, it was a new venue for us in Burgess Hill and though the crowd seemed like hard work, they were enjoying it and dancing......just at the other end of the bar from where we were, so we couldn't see them.

Still, venue were happy and wanted to give us more bookings, so worked out overall.

Played a small country pub in Roydon near a river outside in an open sided wooden gazebo.  The great thing about the temperature dropping to just above freezing once the sun set was it drove the small biting insects away.