Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We were back at The Bell in Bicester last night, fourth or fifth time they’ve had us back, always a great gig - nice pub with a good crowd. 

Hot and sweaty last night as I knew it would be, so I left the Fender at home and took my cheapo J&D as I knew it’d get drenched, although within half a song I regretted not doing what I’ve been meaning to do for yonks: sand down the glossy neck. Sticky hands all night. No complaints though, we had a blast and made a few new friends too.

CBF251EE-0756-4A26-A1F8-DB581BCDC914.jpeg

4 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

Our band fund-raises for Cancer Research UK - £429,000 in 8 years and hoping to hit £500K by Christmas.

Great work!

Your band must have paid part of my salary at some point. :)  (no, we haven't got a cure yet... but we keep learning, thank you!)

Well, the first set at Pillars was very hot. We started playing at 8:00. The crowd was sparce but by 8:30 the place was packed including the balcony.

Interesting, it was still not our crowd, yeah lots of people having a good time but I don't think they really understand live 70s hard rock or what we do.

Our first set was almost 2 hours long.

The crowd stayed a respectable size, 2nd and 3rd sets we're ok, a C+ if you will.

Overall it's a good venue. We've been playing there for over 4 years. 

Last night we were told the place is being sold. The new owners don't know if they're going to continue having bands.

"Don't Know" sounds like no to me.

Blue

FB_IMG_1521511791624.jpg

Edited by Bluewine

We played an awards night in the Park hotel in Northampton - there was a pro PA and lighting setup so we just provided our own backline. good onstage monitoring, but listening back to my zoom recording the FOH sound was a bit bizarre. Vocals were great, but the instrumentation was a bit muddy. It didn't help, our dep keys man playing all over my bass parts. I had a massive barney with him in the break - opening number - the chorus he starts hitting octaves with the left hand - a really crap bass line - just the root - it completely overwhelmed my lines and was made even worse by the giant subs out front. I gave him the death stare - I could see his hands on the keyboard - he flatly denied doing it when I spoke to him later. I shall be reviewing whether I'm prepared to gig with him in future.

43 minutes ago, dontregartha said:

We played an awards night in the Park hotel in Northampton - there was a pro PA and lighting setup so we just provided our own backline. good onstage monitoring, but listening back to my zoom recording the FOH sound was a bit bizarre. Vocals were great, but the instrumentation was a bit muddy. It didn't help, our dep keys man playing all over my bass parts. I had a massive barney with him in the break - opening number - the chorus he starts hitting octaves with the left hand - a really crap bass line - just the root - it completely overwhelmed my lines and was made even worse by the giant subs out front. I gave him the death stare - I could see his hands on the keyboard - he flatly denied doing it when I spoke to him later. I shall be reviewing whether I'm prepared to gig with him in future.

next time accidentally step on his left hand before the gig...

• Like 2

Slightly weird, using someone else's gear, stood on the wrong side of the stage. Short 40 minute spot then the rest of the nigh having a few pints and watching the other 2 excellent bands and £3020 raised for the Alzheimer's society. All in all a winner of a gig.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2018 at 18:46, Bluewine said:

Well, the first set at Pillars was very hot. We started playing at 8:00. The crowd was sparce but by 8:30 the place was packed including the balcony.

Interesting, it was still not our crowd, yeah lots of people having a good time but I don't think they really understand live 70s hard rock or what we do.

Our first set was almost 2 hours long.

The crowd stayed a respectable size, 2nd and 3rd sets we're ok, a C+ if you will.

Overall it's a good venue. We've been playing there for over 4 years. 

Last night we were told the place is being sold. The new owners don't know if they're going to continue having bands.

"Don't Know" sounds like no to me.

Blue

FB_IMG_1521511791624.jpg

Liking that Hofner Club!

• Like 2

Guest adi77
14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I've watched your clip about a dozen times. Very clever and you guys sound great.

Vlue

Way cool :) i was a bit scared, the sync between the delay and tremolo bit and changing those chords for that soft solo

thanks again blue :)

Played the first gig with my new band tonight,my first gig in 10 years!

We only played for 20 minutes opening a charity boxe event, in front of about 200 people. During our second song my bass strap fell off and somehow I managed not to let the bass fall. Apart for that and too many mistakes, I guess it went well.

Looking forward to the next.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Iacopo San said:

Played the first gig with my new band tonight,my first gig in 10 years!

We only played for 20 minutes opening a charity boxe event, in front of about 200 people. During our second song my bass strap fell off and somehow I managed not to let the bass fall. Apart for that and too many mistakes, I guess it went well.

Looking forward to the next.

straplocks????