Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

15 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Was one of three deps in a four piece band playing in a large pub in Reading last night. Completely unrehearsed and not even a set list, just songs and keys called and busked on the spot. Went surprisingly well, good low pressure gig, paid on the spot, good crowd and back home soon after midnight which wasn't bad for a 35 mile post gig drive. Looks like more in the pipeline as well.

Played the sunburst/rosewood/tort Precision I got from Josh on here last week, wonderful bottom end that was shaking the stage. I think it's promoted to 'favourite bass' after its first gig with me!

Nice!

Blue

Great gig last night, opened at Manchester Apollo, soundchecked early, had a pint in the Apsley (Boozer next door), had a great laff, played well, all the tech worked, back in Scunthorpe for 11pm, and a phone call and thank you from the main act (famous comedian) happy day...tbh, this happens a lot lol

The one and only gig of the year for the Yeasties, at our works Christmas do.  So a lot riding on it, wanting to give people a good time but not mess up in-front of work colleagues, and play as best as we could. Sound man managed to get a decent sound given in the works canteen is just a glass-box with a roof and wooden floor.  We had a good balance on stage just from the backline. A bit nervous to start, some slight fluffs from all of us at various points, two pedal failures (rhythm guitarists and my switch pedal-thankfully in middle of last song). But great night, everyone was jumping and dancing and I just didn't want stop playing.

F*cking infuriating. 

Private party, ticketed event at a beautiful old manor house. 

Gig was fine, on packing down some guy rugby tackles an unsuspecting victim right across the dance floor, knocking one of our PA tops clean over, which then landed on my foot. Think I've broken a toe, plus one of our subs and my cab got covered in beer. Cab seems fine, just smells like whatever cheap p*ss he was drinking. 

The owner tells me he has it on CCTV but found it kind of funny and isn't interested in doing anything about it. 

The other guests inform us that the attacker had been looking for a fight all night. There were 150 people there and not a single security guard. It's a nice venue, but that guy should have been kicked out or the police called. All the other guests could see it coming. 

What chocolate starfish goes looking for a scrap at an Xmas party?! 

Dunno what security regs are, but I'm not happy it came down to us to break the fight up and because it was staffed properly out equipment and my foot are potentially damaged! 

4 hours ago, M@23 said:

F*cking infuriating. 

Private party, ticketed event at a beautiful old manor house. 

Gig was fine, on packing down some guy rugby tackles an unsuspecting victim right across the dance floor, knocking one of our PA tops clean over, which then landed on my foot. Think I've broken a toe, plus one of our subs and my cab got covered in beer. Cab seems fine, just smells like whatever cheap p*ss he was drinking. 

The owner tells me he has it on CCTV but found it kind of funny and isn't interested in doing anything about it. 

The other guests inform us that the attacker had been looking for a fight all night. There were 150 people there and not a single security guard. It's a nice venue, but that guy should have been kicked out or the police called. All the other guests could see it coming. 

What chocolate starfish goes looking for a scrap at an Xmas party?! 

Dunno what security regs are, but I'm not happy it came down to us to break the fight up and because it was staffed properly out equipment and my foot are potentially damaged! 

I would think you could have some redress againts the organisers if you are injured or your kit damaged. Not an area I have any experience in but I bet a few on here will have. I don’t go out on the big dos at work because of one guy who always tries to start fights with random strangers when he has a few. Some people are just idiots.

Edited by T-Bay
  • Like 1

And I thought my gig last night was crap, hope your toe is alright M@23 😕

We just had a venue with a sound limiter, and an indifferent audience who didn't want Christmas songs a week before Christmas. Given the poor pay, I can't see us going back next year.

• Like 1

My last gig with my band last night.

A few songs in an elderly lady came up to me and asked if I could turn my bass down as it was affecting her pacemaker!

This is a new one on me. Does anyone else have experience of this?

Difference a day makes, after the hectic and enthusiastic gig on friday, we played a gig on saturday, 300yds down the same road, much better venue to play at, almost noone interested.

Were even going to finish at 11:30 as there didn't seem much point being there, then a large group of christmas people (about 30) came in and wanted to dance, so we extended it and it sort of rescued the evening.

2nd ever 16 CS gig, at the Doll's House, Abertillary...

Discovered one band had pulled out due to it being past their bed-time or something similar. So we were on first; there were about 30 people in there, 25 of whom left 1/2 hour before we came on due to lots of parties in town.

So we played - got a reasonably good reaction from the assembled throng (!), no major pink torpedo-ups, tight and no excessive speeding up. Which was nice! And the "headline" band made a right racket!

But a long way to go (1hr50) for 5 punters, £20 travel money and 3 beers each.

That's the joy of being a new originals band (not The New Originals, obvs:) ) with no demo. Still, it'll be mixed by the New Year when we should soon be headlining major venues like The Vaults at Bishop's Castle!

Did a repeat of my first gig yesterday, same works place, mostly the same crowd I think and same result - it was a blast. I was much more confident than this time last year but no surprise as have a good few gigs under my belt now. The set went down well and everyone went home happy. We were asked to carry on playing, much like last year, and did as we were enjoying ourselves so much. This seems to be becoming an annual event and we are pencilled in for next year already. Nothing now until the back end of January.

Done a lot of gigs all over the NE of Scotland this festive period but my last one was last night. Been booked to play in a local bowling alley in the bar area. Was a very busy turn out but with it being "mad Friday" it was expected. We were originally booked to play 9-12 but was asked to do 7.30-10.30, no problem for me as I get to leave early. Was an unusual setup and we started playing after everyone had done their game of bowling and sat down for their food. Luckily our first set has a number of relaxed chill songs but still, could see a lot of people getting annoyed at us while they eat their food. Anyway, we get into the second set and have a busy dance floor then all of a sudden 9pm hits! Everyone suddenly grabs their coats and leaves, obviously to go into town to the other bars. We are then left playing to a small amount of people which definitely did put a bit of a downer to the end of the night. Anyway, I have another show at the same bowling alley tonight and I assume it will probably go the same way. 

2 hours ago, MarshallBTB said:

Had a great local pub gig lined up last night, got the Christmas songs in the set and everything....

Turn up to find we've been double booked, but we somehow managed to still get paid in full! Easiest gig I've ever done !

We had this happen to our only two gigs booked in November, both double booked and we lost out.

It amazes me that pub landlords/owners cannot even manage a simple diary at times, very frustrating.

I made it clear to both of them that we would not be playing either of their venues in 2018.

We played a regular haunt last night , it was ok , but it took a while before they warmed up , it was a lot quieter than we expected , and according to a few around many other pubs were quiet too.

we played reasonably but seemed oddly out of touch with each other , mainly singer and guitar maybe , but simple arrangements got mistakes on them , strange !! 

Still a break till mid January might allow a bit of time to re-focus 

happy Christmas all :drinks:

Out with the 6 piece soul band last night. Did a pub/restaurant gig last night which meant no soundcheck, though we pretty much keep the desk as is most gigs. except the bloody drummer starts whinging about the kick drum not being loud enough in the subs ( a regular whinge - we once spent two hours at a venue fannying around with that - the issue is isolating the kick mike from the on stage bass sound so we start getting feedback). Anyhow he'd turned up late an was whinging about the space for the kit and how we'd agreed to slice a bit off the money to add an extra girl singer - which made a great deal of difference.  Drummer played half the first set like a tw*t with no effort at all - then when the percussionist had a word started playing like a madman so I ended up putting the ear protection in. I'm fed up with having my eardrums shredded by maniac cymbal playing. Punters had a great night and they were dancing from the start to the finish, but today I feel knackered after 30 mile 1.30 am drive home.

Rant over 

I almost hesitate to post this. Yet another gig in a tiny pub for very little money but another great audience and the band were on fire.  I think peopla are beginning to realise I am telling the truth when I say over the PA that we are doing songs the rest of the guys have never played and often never heard before.  This is more fun than ayone has a right to have. 

Next one should be interesting - 2 acoustic guitars and double bass, no drummer on thursday the 28th!

And I am still bloody amazed that I actually have an audience for gulf shore music after all the years of never being able to get an audience for it!

I will shut up and stop gushing now, sorry.

Last night was an interesting one, played as part of a scratch band that got put together with about 3 hours notice, the guitarist and singer had met but never played together before and the drummer and myself were complete strangers to the group.

It was actually a lot of fun and worked much better than I thought it would, it helped we had a bit of time to jam through some of the set before the doors opened. That and the others were cracking musicians.

The timing was unusual too - 2x 50 min sets, first set began at midnight and we finished at 2am. What with it being Christmas eve today, the kids were up early, so I got about 2 hours sleep, but I'd hapily do a gig like that again another day.

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Sounds good; if only I knew what the genre sounds like..! :$  More power to your elbow. B|

Florida round to the east Texas panhandle.  It winds up being a sort of porridge of  old soul and R n B mixed up with some Tex-Mex, New Orleans jazz and a slight influence from country music.

Hence I don't usually get a bunch of people  who show up knowing what to expect.  I suppose I should pot some stuff on here or at least links.

19 hours ago, RandomBass said:

An insightful view of your gig. Thanks for sharing lol. Just good you got paid for it 😀

I've had a few meh gigs, so good to see I'm not alone.

i'd tell you more but it was such a damp squib i didnt want to put a downer on the holiday

oh and i twas a free bar all evening but thats not really much of a help when you have to drive - on the plus side it was a private christmas office do for some people who have booked us many times before and support us very well, so thats all good too :D 

On 12/15/2017 at 19:19, FinnDave said:

Was one of three deps in a four piece band playing in a large pub in Reading last night. Completely unrehearsed and not even a set list, just songs and keys called and busked on the spot. Went surprisingly well, good low pressure gig, paid on the spot, good crowd and back home soon after midnight which wasn't bad for a 35 mile post gig drive. Looks like more in the pipeline as well.

Played the sunburst/rosewood/tort Precision I got from Josh on here last week, wonderful bottom end that was shaking the stage. I think it's promoted to 'favourite bass' after its first gig with me!

Nice!

Blue