Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

played my first pub gig since 1995 last Thursday night, headlining a 5 act showcase.

1st impression - I forgot how hot stagelights can get hehe

2nd impression. wow what a buzz.

3rd impression hmmm no mistakes tonight, maybe there is something to be said for playing sober and straight :)

4th impression woweee what a BUZZ !

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1508356771' post='3391696']
We usually do well at this particular bar. I have no idea what happened. There was a big University of Wisconsin football game that night but I'm not sure that was the reason for the poor turn out
[/quote]

Sometimes there appears to be no reason a gig you thought would be busy turns out empty (and vice versa) - sometimes it is just everyone decided to not turn up.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1508684269' post='3393750']
one word: Drunks.

I detest drunks who lose their senses. Which is a tough one when I spend so much time playing to people who get a bit drunk :lol: but most are ok. However, from time to time, the annoying drunk is inflicted upon me.
[/quote]

One of the things I have real problem with is drunks. Maybe it is because I don't drink, which maybe makes me less tolerant or understanding of drunks, or because I am not as used to being in pubs, but I really have problems handling them and quite glad that they never seem that interested in the bass player!
A few weeks ago there was one drunk guy kept crashing into the microphones, or kicking the floor lights, then at half time I went out, assuming the guitar player wouldn't leave things unattended as he was there but he did so came back to the drunk guy on the drums, pushed him out as he almost tripped over everything else (our fault for someone not being there, I wouldn't have done that).

On Friday night I was playing a pub with a rock covers trio. We had just gone back on after the break when a lady of a certain age approached the stage area and asked, ‘Are you the band?’

I swiftly replied, ‘No, we’re painters and decorators’.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1509286154' post='3397779']
On Friday night I was playing a pub with a rock covers trio. We had just gone back on after the break when a lady of a certain age approached the stage area and asked, 'Are you the band?'

I swiftly replied, 'No, we're painters and decorators'.
[/quote]

:) :)

Not a bad name for a band 'painters and decorators' or 'Painter and the Decorators"

Edited by FinnDave

Unlike last weekend we struck gold last night.

We played Ariba's in Butler WI last night. We play there every Holloween.

Great crowd, over $125.00 in tips alone (I know you guys frown on tips, but tips are a big part of our culture). The band was really burning it up to a packed and very engaged crowd. Packed is around 75 people.A rival band even came out to see us.

It was 7-11 show.

Gigs like this make it all worth while.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509294539' post='3397861']
Great crowd, over $125.00 in tips alone (I know you guys frown on tips, but tips are a big part of our culture).
Blue
[/quote]

I certainly wouldn't frown on tips, especially of that much! Sadly, it's just not something people do over here very often.

Saturday night at The Queens Hall in Nuneaton. We played the big room upstairs last time we were there, but this time it was on the tiny stage downstairs. It went really well but they cut our set from 45 minutes to 28 (we have a timer on stage). I wouldn't normally mind but some fans had travelled quite some distance, and spent a significant amount on their train tickets, for 28 minutes, and they seemed a bit annoyed. Oh well!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1509361807' post='3398260']
Saturday night at The Queens Hall in Nuneaton. We played the big room upstairs last time we were there, but this time it was on the tiny stage downstairs. It went really well but they cut our set from 45 minutes to 28 (we have a timer on stage). I wouldn't normally mind but some fans had travelled quite some distance, and spent a significant amount on their train tickets, for 28 minutes, and they seemed a bit annoyed. Oh well!
[/quote]

Getting your set time chopped always annoys me, I think multi act bills need to allow for a proper change over time between bands, most seem to go for 15mins which always leads to timing problems.
I'm suprised they put you downstairs too, we've struggled to fit on that stage without a drumkit!

[quote name='Tony p' timestamp='1509379084' post='3398448']
Getting your set time chopped always annoys me, I think multi act bills need to allow for a proper change over time between bands, most seem to go for 15mins which always leads to timing problems.
I'm suprised they put you downstairs too, we've struggled to fit on that stage without a drumkit!
[/quote]

I agree. My band can set up in 10 minutes and get off stage in 5, no problem, but lots of others just seem to take ages. If every single band were as quick as we are (and some have some complicated setups) then 15 minutes changeover would still be too tight.

Absolutely brilliant gig at a rather nice bar in central Edinburgh on saturday night. About one third through the gig the punters started shifting the tables away so they could dance. Fantastic reception, packed bar, I am hoping for multiple return bookings :)

Played my newly aquired Aria SWB lite EUB, as well as the T40, all through the surprisingly adequate PJB briefcase, all polite 100w of it.

A couple of people took some shaky videos with mobile phones, but they give the idea.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/FAMILYCOMESFIRST63/videos/746511582347080/"]https://www.facebook...46511582347080/[/url]

[color=#0000EE][url="https://www.facebook.com/FAMILYCOMESFIRST63/videos/746688308996074/"]https://www.facebook...46688308996074/[/url][/color]

[url="https://www.facebook.com/FAMILYCOMESFIRST63/videos/746501762348062/"]https://www.facebook...46501762348062/[/url]

Edited by razze06

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1509380308' post='3398457']

I agree. My band can set up in 10 minutes and get off stage in 5, no problem, but lots of others just seem to take ages. If every single band were as quick as we are (and some have some complicated setups) then 15 minutes changeover would still be too tight.
[/quote]

Surely you must have lights and sound set up by a third party.

Blue

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1509380308' post='3398457']
[/quote]

Anytime I've played in a multi band, short turnaround situation, the back line is provided (often by the 'main' band, sometimes by the organisers) and the drummer only needs breakables s the rest of the kit is in place and ready mic'd. For me, setting up means plugging my bass into the amp and I'm ready to go, leaving the stage means simply put amp on mute, unplug the lead and walk off. More like 15 seconds than 15 minutes!

A gig in my local , and SWMBO was happy to collect me me , so all good except ....... on this basis it is not a good idea to quaff a pint setting up , have another to start the first set and then kill another before the break , when one gets to a certain age , 20 minutes is just not long enough to prepare for 1 1/4 hours of a second set accompanied by 2 more pints , nothing to do with playing ability after a few pints , but massively due to not having the ability to empty the bladder sufficiently in the break .
A great gig nevertheless , but I will be on either wine or whiskey for the first set tomorrow night. :lol:

Consecutive posts for me on the thread , tonight's gig was the best ! A fund raiser for the village pre school nursery , pub rates of pay , on a proper stage with the best view of the best looking crowd we have ever played to :D
We have made an executive band decision to seek out pre school fundraisers to play at very competitive rates :lol:

Ed to add the gig was about 500 Metres from home, beer provided and half the ladies recognised me from the decorations I do on the house for the trick or treating they did on Halloween !

Edited by lurksalot

just got in from a gig in Paignton, all going well untill 15 minutes from the end when guitarists amp just suddenly dies, completely. No back up plan, gig abandoned 15 minutes still to go, awful and embarassing, punters and landlord very forgiving. If my amp dies (and it has in the past) I simply finish off DI to the PA, no fuss, the show goes on, what is it with guitarists and their "tone"? Not letting that happen again!

Boroughbridge last night. Mostly hard drinking farming/countryfied types who's sister and wife are often the same person. I'm always wary of it , expecting to find them building a whicker man in the car park BUT...

5 mins before we went on a coach party of young Chinese tourists walked in. They were staying in the hotel over the road. Much singing and dancing and trying to be politically correct gagwise ensued and a great time had by all.

As we drove off home we could hear a bunch of them outside their hotel still singing Living on a Prayer !

Never been filmed by so many people at the same time - I fully expect to be big in China by tea time and a state visit by Tuesday.

Oh - and I won a Pakistan cricket shirt and hat in a raffle so I might apply for citizenship.

About to leave for a tea time gig near Hemsworth at a toilet called The Tank. Rough as fcuk there. I think the last person who walked in that actually had a job got lynched.

Saturday night gig at the Lion, a biker's bar on the Cas Vegas strip (locals will know where I mean).

The sixth gig with the new singer and it is starting to gel now. He has had a lot of new material to learn with very little rehearsal, but you can see he is starting to feel more comfortable now and it is starting to come together. Great crowd helped make it a great gig,the best so far with the new lineup.

Edited by peteb

Ha - the Lion , Castleford !! Had a few weird nights in there over the years. We stopped doing it - and the Lionfest - several years ago because if they weren't pinned to the back wall with volume they weren't happy plus - weirdly - they didn't get the humour of playing such things as tainted love and Abba in a hard rock style. They just thought we 'got them wrong' !!

We do the Junction up the road from time to time but ....well , Cas is Cas. Were I asked to prove to any extent that it's not grim up North then I wouldn't use it as a defence exhibit.

Just looked on FB - sure I know your new singer - didn't he used to be in Phoenix Rising and other PurpleRainDio type bands?

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1509983203' post='3403017']
Ha - the Lion , Castleford !! Had a few weird nights in there over the years. We stopped doing it - and the Lionfest - several years ago because if they weren't pinned to the back wall with volume they weren't happy plus - weirdly - they didn't get the humour of playing such things as tainted love and Abba in a hard rock style. They just thought we 'got them wrong' !!

We do the Junction up the road from time to time but ....well , Cas is Cas. Were I asked to prove to any extent that it's not grim up North then I wouldn't use it as a defence exhibit.

Just looked on FB - sure I know your new singer - didn't he used to be in Phoenix Rising and other PurpleRainDio type bands?
[/quote]
I really like playing the Lion - one of the best audiences on the circuit. Let's face it, if you want to be [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]pinned to the back wall with volume, then the Balls are probably the sort of band for you...! [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dunno about [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Phoenix Rising, but Pete seems to have been been in a number of Rainbow / Dio / Sabbath type bands. I'm sure that you will have crossed paths at some point - he is from your neck of the woods and been pretty busy on the circuit... [/color][/font]