Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a wedding last night held at the local football club, on a very long but narrow stage. Got in the morning to set up and stripped all the gear down at night so we could comeback this morning to pick it all up. Didn't feel comfortable leaving the P bass so took that home with me. Was a small wedding with just a handful of people up and dancing. Tool them till half way through our 3rd and final set to finally get everyone up but we got a lot of really great and positive feedback from everyone after we finished playing.

We had an amazing gig in a pub/hotel in Chertsey last night. Probably the most enjoyable one I've ever done.

Its a regular one that has been getting better every time we play there. We're getting a bit known in the area and its the sort of place that can be really good fun if you get the right crowd in.

The missus came along with me and we met some friends for dinner in the venue before the gig - the guys in the band said they'd set everything up so i only had to rock up 5 mins before we were due to start and plug in/tune up. Result!! We also booked a room so i didn't have to drive 70 miles home afterwards and the boss gave us a discount and threw breakfast in for free.

The crowd were up for it from the first note and didn't stop dancing and singing for 2.5 hours. Hot sweaty loud and a full on high energy set. We just had a 5 minute breather at half time so we didn't drop the crowd. There was a leaving party in the bar next door and a masked ball going on upstairs - by the second set most of those guests were jumping around in main bar where we were playing. We usually pull about 80/100 people to this one - the owner said there were about 450 watching us and quite a few drifting in and out and it was the best night he'd ever had there.

We got some great good quality video that really caught the feel of the night and we played a blinder as a band - no mistakes, the best sound we've had there and absolutely the right set for the venue. And we got paid extra.......

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1506886108' post='3381823']
:useless:
[/quote]

I'm on it Dad
Just figuring out how to upload 10gb of video so i can share it on our social media without it blowing our internet up and taking 5 days

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1506884380' post='3381802']
We had an amazing gig in a pub/hotel in Chertsey last night. Probably the most enjoyable one I've ever done.

Its a regular one that has been getting better every time we play there. We're getting a bit known in the area and its the sort of place that can be really good fun if you get the right crowd in.

The missus came along with me and we met some friends for dinner in the venue before the gig - the guys in the band said they'd set everything up so i only had to rock up 5 mins before we were due to start and plug in/tune up. Result!! We also booked a room so i didn't have to drive 70 miles home afterwards and the boss gave us a discount and threw breakfast in for free.

The crowd were up for it from the first note and didn't stop dancing and singing for 2.5 hours. Hot sweaty loud and a full on high energy set. We just had a 5 minute breather at half time so we didn't drop the crowd. There was a leaving party in the bar next door and a masked ball going on upstairs - by the second set most of those guests were jumping around in main bar where we were playing. We usually pull about 80/100 people to this one - the owner said there were about 450 watching us and quite a few drifting in and out and it was the best night he'd ever had there.

We got some great good quality video that really caught the feel of the night and we played a blinder as a band - no mistakes, the best sound we've had there and absolutely the right set for the venue. And we got paid extra.......
[/quote]

You didn't just dream all this did you?

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1506884380' post='3381802']

[/quote]

great to hear you nailed it. Gigs like this make all the bad ones worthwhile to go through....almost hehe

Friday night I played at Rock Stock and Barrel Autumn Gathering (or something like that). I don't know how many were watching as I couldn't see past the 5th row of people. Most of the people at this festival seem to know us and our songs so that helped. The sound on stage was great. It sounded like he'd forgotten to turn the drum-fill on which suits me fine, as the guys at the front always have things too loud

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1506843131' post='3381388']
...Last night was a welcome contrast to the night before, where we played to an almost empty pub on the edge of a town in Wiltshire and the landlady was trying to pick a fight with the band!
[/quote]

It sounds like we're missing out on a great story here!

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1506910752' post='3381932']
great to hear you nailed it. Gigs like this make all the bad ones worthwhile to go through....almost hehe
[/quote]

It creates a problem too - we already know that the next one wont be in the same league....

Did a support slot on Saturday night for a cool local blues/r'n'b band, which went down well. Spoke to quite a lot of people who'd specifically come to see us, which was nice.

Then did a solo guitar gig on Sunday but was so knackered i struggled, and the place was pretty empty anyway, so turned out to be quite a gentle night out.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1506931496' post='3381988']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]...Last night was a welcome contrast to the night before, where we played to an almost empty pub on the edge of a town in Wiltshire and the landlady was trying to pick a fight with the band![/size][/font][/color]
It sounds like we're missing out on a great story here!
[/quote]

Yes, it will be told once we sure there is no truth in her reporting us to the police! All I can say at this stage is that if anyone is offered a gig around Melksham it might be worth checking with me that you're about to play the gig you'll never forget, for all the wrong reasons!!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1506939575' post='3382070']
Yes, it will be told once we sure there is no truth in her reporting us to the police! All I can say at this stage is that if anyone is offered a gig around Melksham it might be worth checking with me that you're about to play the gig you'll never forget, for all the wrong reasons!!
[/quote]

Can't wait, I love a bit of gig drama :)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1506939575' post='3382070']
[/quote]

Got a feeling I [i]might[/i] know that venue ;)

Checklist:

4 hour drive down due to accident on A52. We arrived just in time only to have...
Set time shifted by an additional 2 hours due to folk ensemble who simply refused to stop playing.
Inadequate PA system.
One monitor between 5 people
Massive crosswind stage R > L and no shelter.
Several members of band decided to hang around after we played delaying exit time even further and guaranteeing we got stuck in exiting event traffic.
I arrived home 3 hours later than promised, despite making it very clear that my deadline was non-negotiable due to family.

One foot out of the door.

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Had a reggae gig last night at an awesome 80's weekender at Butlins Skeggy and used a hired in backline of ampeg gear provided by the venue. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]I have no idea what wattage they were but as usual I brought my F1-x to plug into the pwr amp input or the return socket and both times options I could not get any clean headroom even with the F1-x down really low.
I decided to forget my F1-x and go from my bass into the front of the ampeg head via the venues DI box and even then I could not get any clean bottom end everything was middly and distorted like the speaker was being pushed too hard. The keyboard player came over to see if he could EQ the thing whilst I played and he is a good producer and couldn't get anything with any weight at any useable volume without distortion. In the end we had to settle for a low volume middly tone with the bass setting on the head just under the 12 o'clock and the volumes on my bass just under 50% open and use the floor monitors. But even they were unable to give me any decent bottom end. Our regular sound engineer was out front and confirmed the sound FOH was perfect which was a relief to know it wasn't my bass.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]We played well but, there is nothing worse than taking a decent bass that you know sounds awesome and not be able to hear that sound.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Yes I could always take my own rig but these are all weekend events with multi-band setups and the transfer time between bands is short and just a line check so we don't usually carry our own backline on these gigs for convenience.
This is the rig I was provided with but I have no idea what wattage it delivers.
[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1506843131' post='3381388']
We had great gig last night (Saturday) at a village pub in Buckinghamshire. Our first time there, but unlikely to be our last! Went down a storm, played 3 hours in 2 sets with a 15 min break and they still wanted more! Bonus for me was that a bunch of my biker mates that I've not seen for a while came along and were really enthusiastic. I use my Epi Thunderbird, Rootmaster 800 head into Barefaced Super Compact, a good punchy set up that takes up very little space.
[/quote]

Ooh which pub? I would love to come and watch next time you get there if its localish!

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1506892171' post='3381885']
Wednesday 27th I was playing with my pickup band and at the end of the first number this chap from the audience went and spoke to our keyboard player. He then sat down at the piano and played for the rest of the set.
Don Airey.
Damn he can play!
[/quote]

Now THAT is a story..who got the KB players share of the dosh? :lol:

Edited by Oopsdabassist

Nice crowd for a Sunday gig, 3:00-7:00.

We're so lucky to have a following built up over the last 12 years.

It was nice to understand that people had called The Road House to confirm we were performing as well as seeing and responding to all our social media promotion.

The band was on fire, it's a great sounding room.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1504913072' post='3368336']
In the States we have a Federal Law. No twerking if your over 40.

We enforce this law with a hefty fine, community service and in some extreme twerking judgements, jail time.

Blue
[/quote]

:D

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1506962250' post='3382352']
I love Sunday afternoon gigs, but we don't get to pay them very often.

Having people keen enough to call the venue to make sure you're paying there is very cool!
[/quote]

Thanks Dave

Blue