Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Outside, beautiful weather, 5:30-9:30 budgeted Church Festival Gig.

Nice crowd and the band was playing at a level that meets my standard.

I even ran into Frankie Carr from 60s hit makers The Critters.

A fun night.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1503176334' post='3356289']
Outside, beautiful weather, 5:30-9:30 budgeted Church Festival Gig.

Nice crowd and the band was playing at a level that meets my standard.

I even ran into Frankie Carr from 60s hit makers The Critters.

A fun night.

Blue
[/quote]

You want to watch that Frankie Carr, Blue. Looks like he's trying to nick your bass...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1503160764' post='3356156']
Last night we had the most aggro I've had at an Edinburgh gig, oddly enough whilst doing a barely amped acoustic trio set in a tiny pub on Rose Street. It was fine until a group of guys in their 40s and 50s came in. They were conservatively dressed middle class guys of the sort you might see going to the rugby. I think it was one of those things where a group of work mates go out and drink rounds and no-one wants to admit that they can't really hold their drink. First they were shouting requests at us (we don't do requests), then trying to sing over us, then one of the drunker of the party stumbled into the guitar player. The guitar player is no shrinking violet, and some curt words were had. The bar staff then told them that none of the group would be served, but didn't explicitly tell them to leave. Just when we thought things were starting to calm down, we ended up with one of them squaring up to the band and threatening the guitarist as his friends tried to usher him out of the door. About half of the party (who had already been served) stayed around giving us dirty looks for the next hour while the others hung around outside.
No-one got hurt, but the gig was no fun at all and not worth what they were paying us. I do think the bar staff could have dealt with things better too.
[/quote]

That sounds like a horrible situation to find yourself in. I've had a few 'incidents' over the years with over zealous punters that have necessitated me having a firm word, but never have I experienced someone squaring up to a band member. Considering we play exclusively in environments where alcohol is flowing freely I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

The bar staff may not have handled things properly but it sounds like you and your bandmates behaved with restraint and dignity.

I've just got in and am relaxing with a cold beer after tonight's gig at Horleyfest, a local festival near our hometown of Banbury, celebrating its 10th anniversary.

We headlined the main stage, playing a 1 hour 45 minute set which was mainly played after sunset. With no lights on the audience we were playing to a vast expanses of black, with no audience visible to us at all, which was weird. It's difficult to engage with a crowd that you just can't see.

Stage sound was rubbish to be honest, I couldn't hear anything other than the drummers cymbals and the lead vocals. All in all, a strange gig and one that I'll just put down as one of those that you do, remember little about and move on to the next one.

Next stop for us is the Vaultstock festival in Banbury next Saturday, which I'm really looking forward to, and our final festival of the summer before autumn comes and we go back to the usual two hour set pub circuit.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Just in and unloaded after playing a private party gig between Lechlade and Swindon. The venue was a large marquee in a field, the event was a 50th wedding anniversary. Very professionally put together, proper stage, large generator, everything went very smoothly. i was playing with a guy I do occasional gigs for, but hadn't payed with since December, bit we went straight in with a different (and very good) drummer with no rehearsal and came out smiling. I used my Gibson Thunderbird through an Ashdown Rootmaster (non evo model, bought here on the the forum and had it since yesterday!) through my Barefaced Super Twin. I was happier with my sound than the guitarist was with his, but we both suffered tuning problems as the temperature fluctuated widely.

Overall, a good gig, well paid, well received by a happy audience and we enjoyed playing.

Just got back from Beautiful Days festival near Exeter.
Wasn't expecting much as we were headlining a minor stage with stiff little fingers on the main and other bigger bands in the other music tents but we ended up playing a storming set to an ever increasing crowd of happy campers bopping about and a finale covering the levellers "what you know" with most of them on the stage too :).
Got paid, got passes for our families and got to see some cracking music too, so happy days all round.
Apart from the living hell that the m5 has become over the years....
Next stop " Hobofest" down in the Forest of Dean

Just did a 30 minute set at the Mid Somerset Show. Got there at 3.00 pm for a 3.15pm start only to find I could not see the entrance to the Show. Drove around for 5 minutes and eventually parked opposite despite having a permit. Got into the Show, no Steward knew where the Music tent was, spent 10 minutes wandering around ahuge site asking people in the mud. Eventually found our Tent and started the set 15 minutes late. Then the rain started outside...
Music was fine, the rest not so.

Did the gig that was the subject of my happy band tale thread last night and had a blast.

The odd problem with the sound "on stage" but was apparently good out front. Every one enjoyed the two acoustic covers acts that started proceedings and then we had them all dancing and singing along to an hour or so of Stereophonics songs.

I wore myself out and have spent most of today in bed as a "Fibromyalgia payback" but It was worth it.

Mention in despatches to our very own KevB who came along to see us too.

Played in Melksham, Wiltshire, last night. Good venue, very enthusiastic audience and decent management, an ideal gig but an hour and a half from home for me, which combined with a one AM finish made for a late night. Still, I was in my bed by 4 AM. It obviously went as well as I remember, as today we have been re-booked.

We played at the annual Vaultstock festival at The Wine Vaults in Banbury last night, with several other local bands. We had an absolute blast, hour and three quarter set as the sun went down to a large and appreciative crowd. Really good sound from my EBMM Stingray which I was gigging for the first time in a few months, and as I was using a provided amp it meant I was able to travel light and enjoy myself after I'd played. Lots of support from the other bands and it was great to catch up with some old friends too. My only drama was the provided amp (TC Electronic BG250) cut out mid song, about seven songs in. Switching it off and on again fixed it but I spent the rest of the set wondering it would cut out again, luckily it didn't. So all in all a very enjoyable evening and I'm still on a high today. A few beers around some of the late bars with our frontman and several friends, and that's it for our summer festival season, back to two hour pub gigs for the next few months! Next stop for us is a private event in September.

Played at a local wedding Fayre yesterday, turned up at half 8 in the morning so I could get in nice and early with all my equipment and the bands (PA, yes I carry that all around with me). Got all setup and sound checked for around 10.15, was given a table and space right next to another band. Went and grabbed brunch at the local spoons with the rest of the band while everyone else for the day came and set up, grabbed a shower and got changed. Played 2 half hour sets, 1pm and 3pm. Was pretty tight with the space given and pretty much and the guitarist standing on my toes. We played all the usual wedding hits and also did the chain by fleetwood Mac. Fayre finished at 4pm, got packed up came home and had a beer, all in all it was a great day. Especially since we got booked for 5 more weddings next year, I'm now playing 10 weekends straight through June, July and August next year.

On Saturday night I played as part of Rendition at the Elleray, Windermere. Parking is always an problem and a Bank Holiday Saturday made it worse. The crowd in the pub/hotel were fun and many visitors (unsurprisingly). Talking to a local who said that with Cartmel Races being on there were fewer locals. Still we had a great night. I was concerned with my own mental and physical fitness as I'd just returned from over 2 weeks in the USA at 7 hours time difference. Still I only felt it as we got the penultimate song. I'd chosen to keep my gear simple for this event as space is limited, and the BB425x rang out marvellously through the MB500 and BF Midget.

This was the second time I'd been there with Rendition and this time we didn't get caught out by the 11PM curfew. It is a hotel as well and people want to get to sleep. So we started earlier. We had some visitors who said how much they enjoyed the band and had only planned to stop for a quick drink and ended up staying the whole night! We had some great personal feedback from both visitors and locals.

Weired, DJ was playing out on the terrace when we got there and never stopped playing when we struck up inside. Unfortunately it was a lovely evening and most people stayed outside. He also didn't want to pay us and said we had agreed to play for free until I showed him the email he sent agreeing £300.
Not sure we will go back.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Not sure we will go back."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Really?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :D[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1503160764' post='3356156']
Last night we had the most aggro I've had at an Edinburgh gig, oddly enough whilst doing a barely amped acoustic trio set in a tiny pub on Rose Street. It was fine until a group of guys in their 40s and 50s came in. They were conservatively dressed middle class guys of the sort you might see going to the rugby. I think it was one of those things where a group of work mates go out and drink rounds and no-one wants to admit that they can't really hold their drink. First they were shouting requests at us (we don't do requests), then trying to sing over us, then one of the drunker of the party stumbled into the guitar player. The guitar player is no shrinking violet, and some curt words were had. The bar staff then told them that none of the group would be served, but didn't explicitly tell them to leave. Just when we thought things were starting to calm down, we ended up with one of them squaring up to the band and threatening the guitarist as his friends tried to usher him out of the door. About half of the party (who had already been served) stayed around giving us dirty looks for the next hour while the others hung around outside.
No-one got hurt, but the gig was no fun at all and not worth what they were paying us. I do think the bar staff could have dealt with things better too.
[/quote]

Bar staff should have had that under control at an early stage before it reached that point. Punters shouldn't be hassling the band in that way. Disgraceful. What bar was it out of curiosity ?

Dave

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1503778918' post='3360901']
Did the gig that was the subject of my happy band tale thread last night and had a blast.

The odd problem with the sound "on stage" but was apparently good out front. Every one enjoyed the two acoustic covers acts that started proceedings and then we had them all dancing and singing along to an hour or so of Stereophonics songs.

I wore myself out and have spent most of today in bed as a "Fibromyalgia payback" but It was worth it.

Mention in despatches to our very own KevB who came along to see us too.
[/quote]

Well done Raymondo. Great that you did it, enjoyed it and even tho suffering afterwards deep down you know it was worth it.
Hopefully you can do another occasional gig or even a short spell on stage with them would be good. Pretty sure the new bassist would be ok with you doing a few songs.

Take care and wish you all the very best.
Dave

The Wirebirds had a great Saturday night gig on their home territory, Swindon, with a good enthusiastic crowd - best way to spend Saturday night I can think of! Landlord had changed since the gig was booked, but the new guy was fine, really enjoyed the music and wants us back soon.

Our second gig with our new, more powerful, PA speakers, and the vocals are much clearer now.

I played my Thunderbird through Ashdown Rootmaster 600 evo and Barefaced Super Twin - bass heaven! Lots of clear, grunty bass, and the master volume was only about 10% open! I had the input level turned down as well, but the bass was still punching the back of my legs quite hard.

Nothing until next Saturday now, it's going to be a long week!

I depped for my old band at a garden party... I'd left 2 1/2yrs ago (a bit messy) but the olive branch was always there and despite the fact half the set was new to me & the drummer couldn't remember a couple of the older songs I could, we really nailed it. Surprise gig of the year for me & I'd definitely do it again, if asked.