Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501350021' post='3344230']
I've never been to the UK.

As a kid I always heard the phrase "Foggy London Town". I thought it was just a joke thing.

My point, is it ever nice outside?

Blue
[/quote]

It was pouring with rain when I loaded up for tonight's gig, raining as I drove there, raining while I unloaded the car, still raining after the gig when we reloaded the cars, still raining just now when I unpacked the car at home.

Another local gig, in Witney, last night. Standard pub gig, not as many as we'd like to have seen in the audience, possibly a result of the pub failing to advertise the gig anywhere inside or outside the pub, or on their Facebook page. We had a good time, though!

Gig at a great venue Route 44 in brum with This Elegant Chaos and Mallen as well as us, we all had fun. Sadly a punter on Facebook felt we were ok but not brilliant, I replayed that we would aim our bar higher next time kind of dampend the night for me tbh. Conner win them all :)

Played a new local music venue, place very full of punters.
Really hot and humid inside but a great gig.
The owner had her diary ready at the end and rebooked us again for October.
Got absolutely soaked packing the gear away in the car, really lashing it down with rain.

Had a dep gig with a band called Soul Kinda Wonderful at the livestock festival in North London last night. It was a really good gig. I enjoyed playing and the most important thing was that the crowd loved the show and wanted us to go on for longer and longer. Good news is the band have asked me to do another gig with them in August. :-)

I had a dep gig. Pub band playing fairly locally, standard tunes - Town called Malice, Brightside etc with a few less common tunes like Highway star. Wasn't packed but a fun atmosphere and we were pretty tight considering we hadn't rehearsed together. Loud though - I only too a GK mb212 combo and had it over halfway with everything the PA as well. Fun night and looking forward to playing with them again in a few weeks.

Played st my local on Friday night , but it was strangely flat, we got some great compliments from a few. But overall we just didn't engage them , odd.
The singer was tired and probably didn't really try hard enough with any banter , though the song delivery was top notch. Thinking about it, we did rattle through the sets, put an extra number in near the death , stretched out a couple of endings and still finished 10 mins early :lol:

Two gigs yesterday, both joint 60th birthdays, first one for a set of twins, the other for a husband and wife.

There wasn't a lot of space on stage at the first gig as we were in a marquee in the garden on the singer's home made stage; it's a great stage, but depending on who we have on drums, and therefore the size of their kit, it can be a bit cramped. Fortunatley the singer has recently upgraded his monitors, so I put the EBS rig back in the car and used my little GK MB500 as a pre-amp into the PA. It sounded good on stage, apparently good out front too.

It's a good amp, but I prefer the EBS sound, so I suspect I'll be after a Microbass II at some point for similar situations.

The audience enjoyed it, even though the rain stopped any dancing, was a good gig.

I didn't enjoy the second gig so much, it was in a horrible sounding room at a hotel, so I couldn't get a good sound all evening, that coupled with the inevitable requests to turn down and fatigue from the first gig made it less fun.

Nice people though and when they did get into it, the audience definetly had a good time.

Washington County Fair 4-7.

Great sound we used some new highly powered subs and JBL mains. All druns miced with over-heads.

It was a tent show, 80°, no clouds with a breeze.

We were allowed to bring our vehicles onto the grounds and park right behind the tent. So great load in and out.

Great engaged crowd, mostly over 60 folks that truely get what we do.

Stage volume under control, really nice.

Great band vibe from the moment we arrived.

Huge bar with 8 servers a few feet away from the stage.

The bands performance met my expectations. For those that read my posts know that does not always happen.

Stand Outs;

"Too Rolling Stoned" Robin Trower
"Gators" Original

Blue

Edited by blue

Wistful festival - small affair in a barn, way too loud but people didn't seem to mind, we played well and they were shouting for more

Some of the "fans" are getting a bit too familiar - before we played one of them pulled my hair, and another called me a c**t when I refused to kiss her!

My daughter just sent me a great pic she took of two of the band during our Friday night gig at Faringdon Follyfest. I think it captures a lot of the fun of playing these places.

[attachment=250325:DSC_0763.jpg]

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1501543128' post='3345471']
My daughter just sent me a great pic she took of two of the band during our Friday night gig at Faringdon Follyfest. I think it captures a lot of the fun of playing these places.

[attachment=250325:DSC_0763.jpg]
[/quote]

That's an awesome pic Dave. Definitely worth blowing up and framing.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501543442' post='3345474']
That's an awesome pic Dave. Definitely worth blowing up and framing.

Blue
[/quote]

Thanks, Blue, I might just do that.

Edited by FinnDave

Weird and wet. Took on a dep not knowing what this French guitar led trio even played😂

No setlist, just shouted out incorrect names of songs in wrong keys???

Played everything from Howlin wolf to Nancy Sinatra. Lasted an hour before downpour. Still, got paid and home early.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501350021' post='3344230']
I've never been to the UK.

As a kid I always heard the phrase "Foggy London Town". I thought it was just a joke thing.

My point, is it ever nice outside?

Blue
[/quote]

I'll have you know, Blue, that we have fantastic summers in the UK. Especially in the North West.

This year's was on a Wednesday. I was in work, unfortunately... :D

• Like 1

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1501869363' post='3347966']

I'll have you know, Blue, that we have fantastic summers in the UK. Especially in the North West.

This year's was on a Wednesday. I was in work, unfortunately... :D
[/quote]

Cool, good to know. I was really disappointed watching several Glastonbury shows and it seemed like it was always raining.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501870127' post='3347976']

Cool, good to know. I was really disappointed watching several Glastonbury shows and it seemed like it was always raining.

Blue
[/quote]
The Tories pay for the rain to make sure that the liberals of this country can't enjoy themselves, it's a little known but completely true fact.

• Like 1

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1501282927' post='3343864']
I miss gigging :(
[/quote]
Me too. This year has been my quietest ever. I've got a total of three gigs in the diary for the rest of the year and I'm bored bored bored. I've checked gumtree, jojnmyband, everywhere looking for something to fill the gaps and there's nothing even remotely interesting out there.
Starting to wonder if this, together with my increasingly painful arthritic fingers, is a sign that it might nearly be over for me. :(

What a belting gig at Nottingham's Tap & Tumbler - great in house system well engineered and a crowd of mixed-ages that basically were up for a night of Thin Lizzy classics and wanted to be entertained. It was definitely a hot 'n' sweaty one - my gig shirt was still damp 8 hours afterwards! The punters loved my usual walk-around-the-pub during Emerald/Suicide - up on tables, outside, all makes for an entertaining evening.

Think Lizzy take their usual August sabbatical to allow for family time but what a great way to sign of the first part of 2017 - looking forward to playing there again soon.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1501885738' post='3348079']

Me too. This year has been my quietest ever. I've got a total of three gigs in the diary for the rest of the year and I'm bored bored bored. I've checked gumtree, jojnmyband, everywhere looking for something to fill the gaps and there's nothing even remotely interesting out there.
Starting to wonder if this, together with my increasingly painful arthritic fingers, is a sign that it might nearly be over for me. :(
[/quote]

Then you need to come to central France mate. It's quite bizarre, surrounded by cows, farmers and old ladies in surgical stockings, gigwise it's busy. Last night's gig (played a blinder) was my 6th in 8 days including a dep I took on. At it again tomorrow afternoon so that'll be 7 in 10 days.

It's seasonal, April till maybe October, but there's lots going on.

As Leslie Crowther used to say "come on down"

Nice gig at the Jericho in Oxford. We played a short set, then the unusual Pink Diamond Revue, then we backed up the excellent Anton Barbeau, who went down a storm.
The evening started with Laima Bite (pronounced Bitta, I think), a singer songwriter with a most enchanting voice, and dark songs.
One of the regulars said it was the best Thursday in a year there.

So a seven mile trip up the road to a nice house and walled garden for a one-hour jazzer for a birthday. Vocalist, tpt, sax, keys and me on double bass. Turned up at six and sat in car while rain pissed down. At six thirty man emerged from the trees and said in two minutes this will stop and I'll get my man to help you carry your gear in. Turns out he's a multi millionaire banker and birthday is for his mum.

So we set up in this sumptuous garden by a massive water feature full of coi carp and see about twenty antique iron chairs facing us on which staff are placing immaculate white cushions. At seven we are just about ready and the family come up from the house and we do an hours programme while the family are served pink champagne and canapés by the staff. We play Happy Birthday to You, the family dance and a great time is had by all. At the end they all come up and chat and ask about our instruments and tell us how much they've enjoyed the music. Then after a turn round the water feature they go back into the house for supper.

While we're packing up it turns out that in addition to the agency fee the man has given us £20'each as a tip. Some plutocrats are thoroughly decent people who know how to behave without ostentation.

Ceilidh for a wedding party on the top deck of [url="http://www.frigateunicorn.org/"]HMS Unicorn[/url]. Almost a perfect gig - early start and finish by wedding standards, local for most of the band, enthusiastic crowd who knew the dances already, and decent acoustics.

Then while loading out, the van's sliding side door fell off its rails...