Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1500763607' post='3340098']

Care to elaborate? Given the number of ways it can go wrong, I'm genuinely amazed when it goes right.
[/quote]

I'm not sure.

While I had fun, I wish we had more time to rehearse.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1500775773' post='3340122']
Gig was great, apres gig feast was great and 3 rebookings for next year. all in all a result.[/quote]

Nice!

We'll have to see what happens next weekend. We have a nice County Fair gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

Another festival last night, this time small local one at a village called Doveridge. 5 Hill Out were playing in a good-sized village hall adjacent to the main field. Given the rain this was to our advantage as the place was rammed full. We went down a storm and sold a good wodge of CDs. A break now for holidays and then we play at The Green Meadows festival near Peterborough on 11th August.

Played Saturday evening at a pub on the edge of Exeter where they had a family festival (bouncy castles etc) from mid afternoon. By the time we went on there were plenty of well oiled folks who were up and dancing from the first song. We mixed the set list up and threw in three or four songs we hadn't done for a couple of years and our drummer and one of the guitarists hadn't played before and they all went surprisingly well. Rebooked for next year's event !

Two great gigs this weekend, Friday was our annual perfformance at the summer party for Young Epilepsy which is a school for sufferers of Epilepsy and associated conditions. It's always a really fun gig as the audience is so enthusiastic, we had great sound too which always helps - we often seem to when playing outside.

Saturday was a local venue which is always busy for us, plenty of dancers and one of the bar staff said at the end of the night "you guys are always good, but tonight you really killed it" which was great to hear.

Without meaning to, we didn't take a break, just played through for 2.5 hours; I think that helped as it kept the momentum going.

My new Lakland continues to impress, it sounds fantastic through my EBS rig and is just so easy to play. I ended up taking a solo during Forget You on Friday night and it felt so easy to get find the notes I was looking for - I felt like Jerry Barnes (though that would be mostly in my head :lol:)

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1500839206' post='3340549']

Without meaning to, we didn't take a break, just played through for 2.5 hours; I think that helped as it kept the momentum going.[/quote]

That good endurance. You'll need it if you ever come to the States and do a standard bar gig. You'll play the 2.5 hours take a 15-20 minute break then go back and play another 2 hour set😁

Blue

Hi,

We played at 'priming the Pump' in Westbury on Saturday.
First gig for this incarnation of the band and went really well.
We also played in the acoustic tent before hand, which was quite interesting.
Hoping they raise enough money from this event to put on a full festival next year in Trowbridge.

Regards,
Do
ug

Busy weekend. Started off with an hour and a half on the back of a truck for a 'charity' do. I wasn't convinced on the charity part but the place has been good to us and will carry on being so no issue. The sound was done professionally and very well, but it was chucking down with rain so apparently we sounded great but it was from in the building as everyone was sheltering from the rain!
Then the evening was a working men club type event. We had been told the venue wasn't a great one to play as noone went near the stage, they stayed in the quiet room. Turned out they had an engagement do in there so there were a lot of people. First 90 mins was fairly non responsive, but after a break (and time for a raffle!) the second half was a lot more enthusiastic.

Then sunday we did what is becoming a regular, outside a pub in their fixed tent on top of a hill - normally very busy (as it is a local beauty spot) but not so busy when we started due to the rain. However, it filled up well. There is a gap between the covered stage and covered audience where the singer normally stands, there was a downpour and we found the stage leaked, so a short break while we dried the equipment off and changed the mains extensions and back on again. There was a lot of dancing, and it was the oldies who were doing it, great atmosphere and fun night.

But ended the night with a headache and a sore elbow!

Deerstock festival yesterday. It was gorgeous and sunny when we got there. 2 hours later, just as we were about to begin our line-check the heavens opened. Apparently it was the worst downpour of the weekend, people were soaked, the stage was soaked, we were all nervously looking at the electrics... anyway, a load of people actually stood in the rain and watched us singing along. I couldn't believe it! Some fans are apparently fanatic.

My rack tom was just under a hole in the stage roof. Every time I hit it, I got splashed in the face. Very refreshing :)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1490004843' post='3261325']
Saturday night at The Station in Ashton near Manchester. A tiny pub packed with pissed up punks throwing beer and vegetables at the bands. It was an experience!
[/quote]
Sounds like my idea of hell. I'd rather give up altogether than play gigs like that!

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1500889789' post='3340789']
Sounds like my idea of hell. I'd rather give up altogether than play gigs like that!
[/quote]

Hah, I think the front man would agree with you! For me it was a new experience, pretty fun, and definitely "punk"

Two gigs yesterday, 2 different bands, first Soul ,second Americana.

One on the back of a Trailer that must have failed its MOT 20 years ago! Narrow, slippy and uneven ( and that was just the drumming!). Soundguy was clueless and there was just 1 monitor for 7 of us. Oh, and the organiser came over just before we were starting telling us she had 2 acts written in at our time, so our 45 minute set became 30 minutes.....

2nd gig at Prime the Pump Folk Festival in Westbury in the evening. Proper sound, the engineer came out to meet us, checked out our requirements (although they were sent in advance) and did the front of house sound. Another tech. did our individual monitor sound from on stage with a tablet. We got to play the full 45 minutes, although usual drummer could not make this gig, sometimes nice to play as a 4 piece!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500859115' post='3340668']
That good endurance. You'll need it if you ever come to the States and do a standard bar gig. You'll play the 2.5 hours take a 15-20 minute break then go back and play another 2 hour set

Blue
[/quote]

I would like to do one of your 4.5 hour sets for the experience, not sure I'd want to do it every week though :D

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1500896606' post='3340871']

I would like to do one of your 4.5 hour sets for the experience, not sure I'd want to do it every week though :D
[/quote]

It's been tough in me, because it's summer we do more festivals which are usually a little over an hour. I got use to it but then last Friday we're back to reality, 4 hour bar gig.😣

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500912661' post='3341037']

It's been tough in me, because it's summer we do more festivals which are usually a little over an hour. I got use to it but then last Friday we're back to reality, 4 hour bar gig.😣

Blue
[/quote]

I get that. We haven't done a full length set for weeks (although our 2-2.5 hour gigs aren't quite up to your set lengths Blue!) as it's all been 45-60 minute festival slots just lately. We're going to have to get used to doing pub gigs again.

Great one tonight, outside, at my own village Auberge. Warmish night and big crowd for the venue. Kept them all there until the end and loads up dancing.

Loads of band fun on stage and the icing on the cake was a guest sax player and a 90 second drive home.

Edited by leschirons

We played the Follyfest in Faringdon last night. Main stage, 8 pm, a good slot, but a wet one. Still had a reasonable crowd watching us, dancing in the rain! It was our fifth year there and I'm sure we'll be there again next year too.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501350021' post='3344230']
I've never been to the UK.

As a kid I always heard the phrase "Foggy London Town". I thought it was just a joke thing.

My point, is it ever nice outside?

Blue
[/quote]
Ha! We've had a great summer but the rainy season has started now. It's a great ice breaker having such unpredictable weather!