Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just back from a very pleasant Sunday afternoon/early evening gig in Swindon. My first time out with the Cartoon Heroes, playing music a little different to the psychedelic blues rock I do with the Wirebirds. Thoroughly enjoyed myself, didn't embarrass myself, and received plenty of compliments on my playing. Best of all, home by nine for dinner!

On Saturday night the folk punk originals band played its first gig within the boundaries of the Peak national park.
A gruelling drive on minor roads in the rain to a Royal British Legion in a quaint stone village.
We weren't quite sure what to expect but we got the sort of welcome a small rural community off the beaten track can give if they like you.
I think a couple of the band might still be there drinking.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1488233407' post='3247157']
On Saturday night the folk punk originals band played its first gig within the boundaries of the Peak national park.
A gruelling drive on minor roads in the rain to a Royal British Legion in a quaint stone village.
We weren't quite sure what to expect but we got the sort of welcome a small rural community off the beaten track can give if they like you.
I think a couple of the band might still be there drinking.
[/quote]

Was that in Hope?

I gigged at a club in hope many years ago and had a similar experience.....I didn't want to go home :gas:

Played the Maze on Sunday night. I had a few tech issues that turned out to be the battery cable inside my line switcher snagging on the switch. Lots of tap dancing, so not very slick on the changes. Unfortunately though, my opinions of the sound guy weren't changed at all. Based on punter reports it was probably ok out front (you could hear the singer anyway), but stage sound was appalling. There was so much bass coming out of the rear monitor that I had to almost turn my amp off - it was just loud enough to try to add some hint of definition to the mushy boom that washed over the stage, but basically inaudible. When I say 'mushy' I mean that I inadvertently failed to disengage my delay pedal - see above - at the end of an intro and played a whole song without noticing it was going through a tape loop effect. That mushy. The audience looked a bit confused... and then I noticed the LED staring back at me. Oops.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1488272078' post='3247321']
They do seem to rotate a bit, I hope you get the better one next time!
[/quote]

The problems seem to be primarily bass related, which is annoying because it makes it look like the problem is me. They have a monitor for a drummer at the back of the stage, in a corner - so like a massive horn in effect - with bass pumping out of it, but we don't have a drum kit so there's no noise barrier between it and us. All he had to do was turn me down in it, but didn't seem to understand the problem. If it were a clean crisp sound it wouldn't be an issue, but it's the usual hammered old wedge. Result = bass soup. Quite dispiriting really and it's happened often enough in 'proper' venues to put me off gigging. I really can't enjoy it if I can't hear myself properly/at all. To put it in perspective, the bass soup was so thick up there that I actually disconnected one of my cabs and turned my amp down to 2(!). That's quieter than I play at home. If I added any more low end, the singer couldn't hear herself. My amp was really just a very big DI box. I'm playing again tonight and if I get any more aggro, I'm considering my options.

Supported a Burlesque Show last night in Glastonbury. The Burlesque Show organiser sang 6 songs with us as part of the event and we finished with 'The Stripper' tune and we were warned in advance the women would be doing a full frontal to us and not the audience.
2 words: nipple tassles!

Good fun but their show needs to be a lot slicker. Still beats sitting at home....!

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1488587268' post='3250373']
Tonights gig was superb. Played a jazz/reggae fusion gig with my band. The sound guy told me it's the biggest crowd he can remember at the venue. Good to know.

[/quote]

nice pic! looks like fun :)

Late night gig at a local venue... for some reason there was a lot of Spanish people around, which resulted in a lot of bemused faces when we introduced one of our songs, about a trout, that includes the word for trout in Spanish as part of a call-answer thing with the audience :lol:

We played at the Punch Bowl in Warwick last night, having been asked back after our first gig there in the summer. My first gig with my recently acquired Ashdown MAG300 4x10 combo. I spent the whole night trying to get myself heard through the mix, partly down to overall volume and partly down to my amp just underperforming, disappointingly. I was quite happy with my performance but as a band we had a few, er, timing issues which are frustrating. On the upside we got rebooked for later in the year, and I met Markstuk of this parish, who made the effort to come out and say hello.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Last week not last night, thought I’d posted this but seemingly not.

My hard-rock/metal band (Versus Ursus) played The Purple Turtle in Reading again – it really is a great venue; well organised, decent stage area, nice sounding PA with monitors that actually work! The two other bands on the bill played great & as a nice change from the usual multi-band originals nights they were of a similar genre to us so there was some good cross-over for the crowd.

Was my first gig with my new bass – the precision tone cut through brilliantly, honestly can’t believe I’ve steered away from P’s all these years! Slightly annoyingly my amp went into power-protection mode twice during sound-check which is weird & did put me off a little but I changed plug socket for the set and it didn’t do it again so hopefully it was just a dodgy socket.

We played well & had some nice feedback from the crowd both during the set & after when we were drinking – of which we did a lot as it was a local gig so none of us had to drive!

Another infuriating 'where is my bass in the mix' night. Hollow wooden stage - as soon as the Cajon kicked off, the whole bass sound evaporated into a resonating mush. I dutifully counted bars all night and tried to stay awake. People clapped and asked about CDs (ask your Dad) afterwards. I recorded the other bands set on my phone. They sounded great (sort Iranian folk/fusion - all sung in Farsi) - no bass player and no drums touching the floor. I'm looking forward t playing with them again next month.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1486885829' post='3235188']
Friday night: short-notice gig at the Thistle Park Tavern in Plymouth, due to a cancellation. Did it as our original 3-piece line up as per when we started - a few weeks off 10 years ago! Blimey, where did that go...
Really enjoyed going back to a trio, and the punters loved it too.
Must do more as a 3-piece!
[/quote]

Not great news for the forth or fifth member of your band 😂😂😂😂😂😂