Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just played at a cool little event called The Rafters are Ringing, in a place called Fearon Hall in Loughborough, Leicestershire. Beautiful old Victorian building which the organisers of this three/four times yearly event are trying to bring back into use as an arts/music venue.

Three bands on the bill, covering some quite experimental stuff, and good turnout, and home made cookies and cakes! Result.
Hope the organisers succeed in making it a regular established event.

Easy gig for getting back in to the flow after a couple of weekends off as there werent enough punters to put any pressure on us but tougher in that the playing area was all bare laminate flooring and hard surfaces, had to work at he EQ's to stop it getting too boomy. Despite it being a quiet venue we still managed to pick up an outdoor multi band festival type gig for next summer where apparently good quality PA and lights will be provided. And we got paid.
Other amusing thing was that when I got to the venue I realised it was the same place I played t what turned out to be my last gig with the last band I was in. Only last Nov or something but obviously so memorable I'd completely forgotten it,

Edited by KevB

Last November our singer was diagnosed with what the docs thought was pancreatic cancer & had his op on dec 20th 2015. Came out of it OK and we thought we would be in maintain mode for two or three months. Found out he had lesions on his lymph glands & he underwent some major chemo and radiation therapy. Looked like a walking corpse.
W did a benefit gig for him In late July and he got up and did a couple of songs and seemed like he was doing better.
Three weeks later the docs confirmed he was 10)% clear! YAY!!

So last night was our first gig back with the regular lineup.
Could not have been a better one. A club at one of those caravan and chalet holiday park venues in Northamptonshire, where we played to an absolutely packed house, who really made the night. Up and dancing to the first song, lengthy applause after each and every tune and THREE encore at the end of the night. I was pissed off - knackered and way past my bedtime. :lol:

A great welcome back gig for Paul. Oh and we were offered 3 gigs for next year on the strength of it. Ker-ching.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1474224517' post='3136366']
Last November our singer was diagnosed with what the docs thought was pancreatic cancer & had his op on dec 20th 2015. Came out of it OK and we thought we would be in maintain mode for two or three months. Found out he had lesions on his lymph glands & he underwent some major chemo and radiation therapy. Looked like a walking corpse.
W did a benefit gig for him In late July and he got up and did a couple of songs and seemed like he was doing better.
Three weeks later the docs confirmed he was 10)% clear! YAY!!

So last night was our first gig back with the regular lineup.
Could not have been a better one. A club at one of those caravan and chalet holiday park venues in Northamptonshire, where we played to an absolutely packed house, who really made the night. Up and dancing to the first song, lengthy applause after each and every tune and THREE encore at the end of the night. I was pissed off - knackered and way past my bedtime. :lol:

A great welcome back gig for Paul. Oh and we were offered 3 gigs for next year on the strength of it. Ker-ching.
[/quote]
Nice ending. Hats off to you for supporting your singer.

Last night was our first gig as a band since July, following a bit of a break for holidays etc. We played at The Swan in Banbury, one of our favourite venues to play, always a good crowd and lots of fun. A pretty unremarkable gig really, yes we played well, got a good audience reaction and all the rest if it, but we are so well rehearsed everything seemed a bit, I don't know, efficient? I appreciate we're payed to be like that but I just felt like we lacked that spark last night, I like the buzz when things are a bit 'flying by the seat of the pants' if you get my drift. Next week we're playing a 40th in a remote part of Wales so I'm sure the buzz will be very much in evidence.

Wanted to share the horns. Someone recorded bits of the gig (on a phone) with reasonable quality.

First track was a surprise that i hadn't played in years. Drummers count-in between breaks was interesting. 6 one time, 5 the next?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-4VrxeQ-3Y[/media]

Second track - not cool but the punters love it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI_dLAbBEf4[/media]

Just back from one of our regular gigs near Swindon. Place was quiet during the first half (and half of those who were there left during our set!) but filled up again in the second set, so we played a double length set to keep them there. Well work out by the end, but we had plenty of them up and dancing and singing along. Landlady pleased and wants us for a couple of dates next year as well. My £150 Ashdown combo (Ebay bargain) received compliments on its tone and punch.

Friday gig on the fringe of the Looe Music Festival. Incredibly hot and sweaty, and everyone having a great time. Had some minor tech problems with frontman's amp, sorted at half-time, and one idiot who decided to initiate a mosh in a rammed pub. That ended with him being thrown out and his gf injured when she got shoved (by him, probably not intentionally ) right into the band. She will doubtless be sporting many bruises and aches and pains by now. Didn't do so bad myself, as she knocked the PA speaker over onto me. Caught it with my shoulder and managed to stop the whole thing crashing down. Gig continued to satisfactory conclusion!

Edited by Telebass

We played a 40th birthday party in Machynlleth, West Wales last night. Lots of fun as it was a weekend away with the boys, a nine hour round trip in the minibus, all of us crammed into one B&B 'family' room. I'm getting a bit old for this kind of thing on a regular basis but every now and again it's great.
The party itself was a typical family do, grandparents down to toddlers and all ages in between. I'm not entirely sure our set was totally appropriate for the audience but it's what the hostess wanted and we went down well enough. Lots of goodwill and free drinks from the friendly natives afterwards. We played tight and well despite my inability to get a good tone from my bass / amp combination, although as usual it was only me who seemed to care. Next stop, The New Inn in Buckingham in a couple of weeks.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1474460546' post='3138168']
Great playing BottomE - how do you resist the urge to dance?!?
[/quote]
Thank you, very kind. If i move n stage i either get a trombone in the face or a singer/sax player knocking themselves out on the head-stock of the bass (not always a bad thing).

I'm dancing inside :)

Friday night with The Alibi... Brilliant. Tight as a gnats chuff and lots of compliments

Saturday night, [i][u][b]NOT [/b]with the Alibi[/u][/i], rather less so on all fronts, and ended with my fretted L2500 getting a nasty ding.

Sunday morning rehearsal with Watson Hall & Webb working through an originals set for the end of the month and on new songs & arrangements...A joy as ever

Yay, must be first back from this Sat BC'ers gigs. Pub neither I nor any other band member had played before even though its no more than 30 min drive for any of us. There was a 60th birthday party with stage, DJ and lights set up in another part of pub yet we were still expected to play. Fortunately the DJ turned his stuff off when we were on but it was all soul and sixties stuff. We were clearly not the right band for the venue. Actually there was a very small number of ardent rock fans who really liked us. When they said we could cut the second set short I just told the drummer we were basically getting paid off, chalk it to experience and move on. Imagine our complete surprise when at the end of the night the manager offered us 3 more dates for next year - bizarre!

Was gig number 5 as a returned bass player. A long drive for a dep gig at a big pub in Crowborough. Its a pub we played a few months ago (was gig number 1)and they asked us back.

Did ok, now starting to relax a bit more and enjoying the job. Now the thought of playing for two hours isn't such a big deal. Would have been quite happy to carry on a bit longer.

Some well oiled sorts were having fun which was entertaining to watch, plus good feedback from the punters and the landlord, made a good night.

Small pub gig yesterday aft/early evening to a select and mostly partisan crowd, many singing along to what we were playing which is always nice to see. Very positive feedback from a couple of punters afterward. Gear broken down and loaded, band paid by 7:30pm, easy stuff.

100 club on Friday and a soaking wet festival on Saturday (both on drums). The 100 club really blew me away, what a great drum sound! Best sound on stage I've ever had. RockStock festival on Saturday was cool. Loads of people there, everyone looked soaked, ad perhaps sozzled. At one point the PA cut out and we played acoustically for a bit. It was a challenge, but also a bit of a relief as when the PA was working it was horribly distorted. Anyway, two good nights!

The Rigger in Newcastle under Lyme on Friday,local one for us with two other corking local acts. Very happy as the place was quite busy and my svt pro had its first run out since repair and worked a treat, went down well and we not rehearsed between this gig and the last so was a real buzz..

Just back from the monthly open mic blues jam at Matt & Phred's in Northern Quarter, Manchester - the first time I've played there. Kept it simple and solid, and got a roar from the punters and lots of good warm comments. The other two bass players there both played much more ripply complex basslines, but I honestly think mine worked better for the two chaotic young shredders on lead guitars with me. I'm pretty pleased :)

We played a 9:30 to 1:30 Saturday night. Not too bad. Good energy and sound for the 1st 2 sets, then things started to wind down.

Got home at 3:00am and every bone in my 63 year old body ached.

Collapsed in my bed. Fell asleep with all my clothes and shoes in.

It's a tough racket.

Blue

Edited by blue

One of those nights where a great gig is spoilt by a couple of twunts! We have a girl that comes to see us and many other bands and just dances all night. Of course there's a knob who decides to try and dance with her and writhes around trying to copy her moves. No problem so far, she's got a lovely temperament and gets it all the time. It's going well, good response, people up dancing and cheering. Get to the penultimate song and right at the end the above twunt gets pushed by his twuntish mate straight into our guitarist and they're all over the place, guitarist regains his balance, finishes song, puts down his guitar (top end PRS) and goes for them! Our singer (his missis) sees what's going to happen and manages to cut him off at the pass before it all kicks off. Damned shame, always a good gig there but spoilt by a couple of knob ends!! Let's hope tonight is less eventful!!

Stupidy loud, like the one we did last week. Not sure sure what the craic is with sound enginerds in the North East at the moment, but standing out front and listening to some of the other bands that we shared the gigs with was painfull to the point of me walking out last night.Yeah, punk and rock music needs a bit of poke but it shouldn't be unbearable.

The outside of the building was shaking, I thought the windows where going to blow... crazy.

We had a good gig though, the sound levels on stage where okay and it was all for charity. Same again tonight, Gateshead this time.

I'm just home from tonight's gig with the band, our first time at The New Inn in Buckingham. Hopes were not high as we loaded in due to the handful of drinkers glued to the TV in what is a small pub with one bar. More people came in as gig time approached and by the time we were a few songs into part one of the set the place was rammed, with one of the most 'up for it' crowds we've ever played to. Absolutely brilliant, loads of dancing, singing along, spilt beer and smiling faces. We played really well, great sound from my rig and from the band as a whole. The crowd wouldn't let us go with two encores demanded and afterwards lots of hands to shake, drinks offered and backs slapped. Definitely one of the best gigs we've done and certainly one of my favourites.

I'd definitely recommend the venue to any bands wanting to play there; very friendly, amenable landlord too. Very happy. I'm now at home with my first beer of the night (I was driving) trying to come down from the post gig high before I drag my tired body to bed.

Next stop The Bell in Banbury (back on home turf) next weekend.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass