Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Last night at The Crew in Nuneaton, the pub under the Queens Hall venue. They let us use the 'proper' changing rooms upstairs and I had a sneak down onto the big stage itself. Our drummer had actually played up there in a support slot years ago. The format is a bit odd on a Sunday, acoustic acts from 2pm then a break then an electric act on from 7:30 with a 9:30 finish. It was an agency job and he came in to check us out. He had used the singer and guitarist when they went out as a duo but hadn't seen the new full band. We expected him to watch a few songs and go but he ended up staying to the end of the second set and immediately went to the landlord to get us back in on a Saturday night. Some positive feedback from punters after the gig, even a few coming up randomely to shake our hands as they were leaving. One punter told our guitarist in the half time break it was the best opening set he'd heard there in ages and they like their rrock bands down that neck of the woods so we left with a feeling of job well done. Considering the football and tennis finals were that day it wasn't a bad turnout (football on screens whilst we were playing) so hopefully a good crowd in for our return in August.

Good weekend by the sounds of it Kev. I really enjoyed your first set on Saturday night (I had to leave before the second set as we were all a bit "tired and emotional" after a 10 hour drinking session ;) )

You will struggle to find a venue that your drummer hasn't played in mate. He
is awesome (as you well know from a previous band) and has played in some fabulous bands over the years.

Good luck buddy.

Gig last Sunday... first time in a new venue for us... while the Euro 16 footbal finals were on.

Yup... at one point we played to ONE bartender. There were two guys in the kitchen who'd come out to hear us from time to time... By the end of the gig (3h slot) there were maybe 10-12 people. They made noise, 'though... and bar manager apologised to us for not having realised what night it was and said he loved us and we'll be back on Friday/Saturday slots.

We actually had a ball. When you have just a handful of people really enjoying it, it's easy to give them all your attention... and it was fun. Glaswegians... when they're good they're the best :lol:

A really enjoyable gig last night.....we were on 3rd in a line up of 4 bands and i have to say we rocked it! Stage sound was good, sound Eng and foh was good. The landlady made me a nice big cup of tea.....oh and we got asked by the headline band to do an encore which ate into their time slot a little. All good :)

Edited by Number6

First of 3 gigs for the weekend last night. Pub gig and used my compressor (which is another story altogether see the effects threads). Place soon warmed up - lots of dancing and frivolity. Some nice compliments about sound, 3 encores and plenty more bookings at the venue. Tonight is a private party, Sunday is a festival. £500 for the weekend doing what i love. WIN.

Last night I played a short solo acoustic spot at The Road Test in Banbury, which is a brilliantly diverse open mic event organised by Freddy Le Cragg of this parish. I did three original songs, just me and my Tanglewood acoustic straight into the PA. I used to play there on a monthly basis but once the band got busy I had less time to attend, but with the band on a summer break I've got time to do my own thing. I missed it!

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1468692970' post='3092739']
Last night I played a short solo acoustic spot at The Road Test in Banbury, which is a brilliantly diverse open mic event organised by Freddy Le Cragg of this parish. I did three original songs, just me and my Tanglewood acoustic straight into the PA. I used to play there on a monthly basis but once the band got busy I had less time to attend, but with the band on a summer break I've got time to do my own thing. I missed it!
[/quote]
Indeed he did

Turned up to set up for our gig this evening, to be shown a space 2 metres by 3, where we (5 piece - drums, bass, 2 guitars and keys, 2 vox + PA) were expected to play. Venue seemed surprised when we said it couldn't be done. The so-called "agent" had visited and said it would be fine, apparently. Didn't even unload the kit from the cars. Bloody waste of an evening :angry:.

So I've got my rig down to a nice lightweight one speaker solution, Markbass LM3 and a Shroeder 212pl 800watt 4ohms. Mostly been playing pubs since getting it together but last night played a largish marquee tent for a charity festival. Oh my, what a sound! No PA back up, just vocals and a bit of bass drum through it so I cranked it a bit thinking I would get a bit lost with everyone (guitar/keys) turned up to push the sound out. Normally have the volume on about 10 o'clock and that is at the most for a biggish pub, went up to just before 12 o'clock and my girlfriend who was sat right at the back behind quite a big crowd said she had never heard me so loud! Great fun gig, we were second last on so chilled with a beer to hear the final band, had a little boogie! Louder than all the other bassists apparently!! I can live with that!!

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/widget42/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc296/widget42/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by barneyg42

Played at a Hells Angels MC bike event on Friday. Every track was greeted with an absolute wall of silence! We kept our heads down, got on with it and at the end of the gig the VP of the club came up to our guitarist and said it was brilliant and they loved it! What??? Speaking with the sound engineer afterwards we were told "you're walking out...that's a good sign!!!!!" :unsure:

Contrast that yesterday with a tiny village social club with maybe 20 people in there and the place bounced. Not really a rock venue but we were enthusiastically received and the venue want us back later this year. It just goes to show that you never can tell.

Edited by DaytonaRik

Interesting Rik, we are doing a MC annual bash at the end of this month so will be interesting to see if we are met with the 'wall of indifference' too. Our last night in a small pub out in the sticks, was never going to be a big crowd and it was a fixed small fee plus a percentage of the bar take, however we ended up with about same as a few of our other low end pub gigs so fortunately we drove them to drink ;)

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1468737686' post='3092910']
So I've got my rig down to a nice lightweight one speaker solution, Markbass LM3 and a Shroeder 212pl 800watt 4ohms. Mostly been playing pubs since getting it together but last night played a largish marquee tent for a charity festival. Oh my, what a sound! No PA back up, just vocals and a bit of bass drum through it so I cranked it a bit thinking I would get a bit lost with everyone (guitar/keys) turned up to push the sound out. Normally have the volume on about 10 o'clock and that is at the most for a biggish pub, went up to just before 12 o'clock and my girlfriend who was sat right at the back behind quite a big crowd said she had never heard me so loud! Great fun gig, we were second last on so chilled with a beer to hear the final band, had a little boogie! Louder than all the other bassists apparently!! I can live with that!!

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/widget42/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc296/widget42/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]
Hey dude, was playing in the band before you (Solice) - sounded pretty good from behind the marquee when I was packing my stuff away and ain't nothing wrong with being loud! Loved your cover of The Chain" btw!

[quote name='Bassmurf' timestamp='1468781513' post='3093291']

Hey dude, was playing in the band before you (Solice) - sounded pretty good from behind the marquee when I was packing my stuff away and ain't nothing wrong with being loud! Loved your cover of The Chain" btw!
[/quote]

Cool stuff!!! Loved your set, your TC rig was loud!!! I had the same rig at one time but wanted a lighter weight set up!! Everyone loves the Chain, it just has to be done!! It was a great day!! Keep rocking dude!!!

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1468750590' post='3093030']
Played at a Hells Angels MC bike event on Friday. Every track was greeted with an absolute wall of silence! We kept our heads down, got on with it and at the end of the gig the VP of the club came up to our guitarist and said it was brilliant and they loved it! What??? Speaking with the sound engineer afterwards we were told "you're walking out...that's a good sign!!!!!" :unsure:

Contrast that yesterday with a tiny village social club with maybe 20 people in there and the place bounced. Not really a rock venue but we were enthusiastically received and the venue want us back later this year. It just goes to show that you never can tell.
[/quote]

Same thing happened to us a couple of years ago. We played a clubhouse out in the wilds of Ayrshire and got mostly indifference at the end of each song. Bloomin scary. After the gig, the guy who ran the social side said we were brilliant and they loved us!!

After the gig, we had the fastest load out ever in case we got sh**ged or shot. Or one then the other :unsure:

[quote name='JonesTheCat' timestamp='1468791627' post='3093402']
I played in front of an audience for the first time ever last night.

I was terrible. It's all up from here!
[/quote]

Congratulations on having the guts to get up and do it. And make sure you get up and do it again soon! 😊

50th birthday bash booking on saturday was fun, nobody books an 80s band unless they are up for it, so these generally work out to be a blast

Support slot on sunday for a Take That tribute , enjoyed our set and the atmosphere after , drank far to much Larger in the sun.

Getting to old to do 2 in weekend then go back to work monday .

Frustrating day yesterday. Our singer and her other half had provided music as a duo at her departmental annual summer party (marquee on university campus) but this year asked for the full band. Set up, sound checked and then we knew there was a big gap before our set (only wanted 1 hour in between quizzes and stuff). Had to set up early so I had to take the full day off work (and I work for same Uni as the singer but in a different building). Then we get a message that one of the vice chancellors has an office nearby and doesn't want the noise, vetos the whole gig. Much to-ing and fro-ing going ever up the greasy pole of seniority but the final outcome was no show so we just had the break it all back down again. Lots of grumbling from the guests when it was announced we couldnt play. They didnt have the money on them either so singer will have to chase that up next week. Ah well, gigs tonight and tomorrow so it's all history now.