Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='joey1234' timestamp='1467029214' post='3080548']
<p>So I did my first gig as a solo artist on Friday (24/06) at the night and day café. It was my first time playing solo in fornt of an audience needless to say it was nerve racking. I sat and listened to the other bands soundcheck and thought I can do this and I did. I fluffed a few times but played through. I didn&#39;t get booed (which was nice). I am feeling really positive now its time to record an EP and promote :D</p>
<p>Jobo</p>
<div style="left: -1000px; top: 8px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute;">&nbsp;</div>
[/quote]

What did your solo act involve? Are you playing bass solo or doing something else?

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Hey @PaulGibsonBass

I am playing guitar couple on a beat up old Effie I've had for 20 yeas (sounds awesomely sh1t) and some on a steel string acoustic. I joined a band playing bass last year after a 5 year hiatus to have kids.
I played 5 originals and 3 covers.
Jobo

[quote name='joey1234' timestamp='1467030174' post='3080564']
Hey @PaulGibsonBass

I am playing guitar couple on a beat up old Effie I've had for 20 yeas (sounds awesomely sh1t) and some on a steel string acoustic. I joined a band playing bass last year after a 5 year hiatus to have kids.
I played 5 originals and 3 covers.
Jobo
[/quote]

Nice one. Same as me, bass in a band and acoustic solo Singer-Songwriter stuff. Hope it went well 👍

[quote]Nice one. Same as me, bass in a band and acoustic solo Singer-Songwriter stuff. Hope it went well [/quote]

Yeah it went really well, I don't have a very good singing voice, so I was expecting people to boo, and they applauded and wooped quite a bit so did wonders for my confidence. My original stuff is very sea sick steve-esque

Spanky Van Dykes in Nottingham, with Trojan Soundsystem. Funny setup as the stage is shallow and the DJ desk was where the drums would normally go.

The DJ's specs for their decks included eight squash balls, four concrete slabs and horsehair matting/special foam - apparently this is the best base to protect the decks and their hifi cartridges from the huge swathes of vibrating bass.

Decent turnout and good reception. Paid gig plus beer. Win.
Trojan were great, especially Supa4, their blind MC on the mic.

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20160701_212457_zpst6jrv5pk.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Edited by Roland Rock

Festival gig near St Ives in Cambridgeshire. Large marquee with a stage each end and alternating bands. We went on 2nd to last and had a blast. Immediately got asked to headline it next year so must have done something right. Good crowd who were well up for a boogie and a singalong. Good times.

Played the Beat Generator in Dundee on Friday night. Bit of a mad dash up after work. Great venue, good sound man and we went down well. Back home for 2 30 am and back up at 7 for work :(

Played the Glennroy in Balloch last night. Supposed to be on at 10 pm but got delayed by that bloody football! Good gig, lots of positive noises and as there is a night club right next door to the pub, lots of "interesting" sights when loading the gear up.

Overall a good weekend. A day of chilling out now.

The Badass Weeds played a big outdoor party near Shrewsbury last night..
Funnily enough it rained about 5 minutes after we started, but luckily we had a roof on the stage, unlike the revellers.
They were far enough gone not to notice - they also seemed not to notice our computer with backing track (samples) crashed twice.
And against our usual policy, we did a cover - Last Night a DJ Saved my Life - in order to let the party organiser sing. We didn't hold back from spoiling it with a very loud and distorted guitar solo.
Roll on our next outdoor gig, just before Craig Charles at Green Meadows Festival in August.

Friday night was a dep gig for a wedding at a small country pub in Sussex, played well, crowd were definitely up for it, was a good night. Or rather it was until packing up when I found the can of energy drink I'd had in my bag had leaked and there was a pool of poundland brand red bull in the bottom of my cables bag. So, spent some time cleaning everything when I got back.

Saturday was a private party for a rich fellow who does a garden party once a year for his family, was a good gig but we were set up in the swimming pool, which made dancing difficult and was quite warm and humid; but we played well and the audience was appreciative, if mostly outside the room we played in.

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/Mobile%20Uploads/20160702_220043_zpstv8q70zn.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/Mobile%20Uploads/20160702_205917_zpsgm5r6dvj.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Did a little open air festival at local football club, filling in for a last minute cancellation, heavens opened halfway through the set, but everyone huddled in the tents and gazebos and we carried on regardless, you can see the trees blowing mightily in the background here. Apologies for pic/sound quality it was just a camera on vid setting on top of the sound desk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Aev0J6Kmk

Saturday night we played at the Dun Cow in Daventry, opening for an excellent young rock band called Fall From Glory, the lead singer of whom just happens to be my daughter, so it was a very proud moment for me. I've seen them loads of times before but to play on the same bill as my little girl's band was something special. We opened with our usual hour set of rock covers before FFG played their hour of (mostly) originals. Our singer joined them for a song too.
They are a very entertaining act to watch too; loads of energy, and the lead guitarist is quite the showman. That's probably one of our weak spots, playing to the crowd so it was great to see - always lots to learn from watching other bands! We played really well and went down well with the all ages audience. We got asked back for a full two hour headline slot later in the year too; all in all a splendid night.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Saturday night, but I've only just got the chance to write it up. It was a new development in my bass playing journey. A local singer songwriter asked me to do a small acoustic gig with him. I was quite flattered initially, as the last time I saw him play he had an excellent double bass player with him. So it was always going to be a hard act to follow.

Rehearsals were a bit tense. He made it clear he didn't want me to do much more that root notes, and even frowned when I tried to throw in the odd arpeggio.

I was quite nervous because I've only really played with quite noisy bands before, and I fondly imagine that my mistakes are somewhat drowned out by the rest of the band. But this was just me and him, sitting on stools and looking moody. Nice. B) So I was quite scared that if I went wrong everyone would hear.

Anyway, all went well in the end. A very small audience, but they were all listening properly and all seemed to appreciate it. Singer from my current band turned up, so we had him up to do a couple of acoustic versions of our Stones covers which also went down well.

So all in all a good night, and another excellent learning opportunity for me. :)

Not last night but Saturday afternoon, although this is the first opportunity I have considered myself safe to operate a keyboard having spent the weekend at the Derbyshire Sausage and Cider Festival. The Badly Stuffed Bears played the Saturday afternoon to a great, welcoming, and MASSIVE crowd. Only our second gig with our new drummer and keys, the rehearsals have definitely payed off in our performance, the energy levels have been upped and having keys means Henry can be more fluid in what he does; not just bashing our chords but more lead breaks and interacting with the crowd without there being sudden 'emptiness' as perhaps was likely in the past.

Of course, we were camping out, we got paid, the organisers got the money back through increased cider sales and I got a hangover and a long lie-down in a darkened room. A couple of photos...

Routine pub gig last night, ridiculously hot&sweaty onstage but we made it through, got the obligatory 'Youre the best band we've had here in ages' from one of the locals so at least someone took notice. Main reason to report was that our very own Raymondo turned up with friends & family so it was good to see him again, been a while. Amazed folks really read the 'gigs' section after all! Playing again tonight and apparently the booking agent is turning up to see us so we'd better be on best behavour...

Two gigs yesterday, a village fete first 18:45 to 20:45 and then the singer and I packed down our kit asap and jumped in the car to drive across town to play a wedding 22:00 to 00:00. No breaks during the sets either as we needed to get off from the first gig quickly, and started the second late so just played through.

Good reaction from both gigs, got a tip from a punter at the fete which was very nice of them. Had a drummer we'd not played with before at the first set, but he's a pro player and was great, even if we had to play All Right Now with no kick drum as the spring on his pedal broke during the intro; he managed to repair it though whilst we played a stripped down Big Yellow Taxi.

If you've been reading my new amp day thread you'll have seen I was a bit lukewarm about my new Gallien-Krueger head, all such doubts are blown away, I LOVED the sound I had at the first gig through my EBS cab - powerful, tight, warm and articulate tone. At the second show I didn't have my cab, so ran effects send of the GK into the return of a crappy Peavey 1x15 combo as a stage monitor and DI'd into the PA for FOH. Ontstage sound kinda sucked, but hopefully was good in the PA

We played at Bodfest, a local festival yesterday: a one hour set to around a thousand people at its peak, easily the biggest crowd we've played to. We played the main stage at 6.45 pm, which turned out to be an ideal time as once we'd finished those with families and kids started to melt away, and the younger audience members started to head off into town, so I think we got the best of it.

We played really well, good and tight and got a brilliant audience reception - loads of people dancing and singing. On stage sound was really good too (DI'd my Stingray). We were all on a massive high for the rest of the night and a few beers were consumed... Lots of fun and the perfect way to bow out before we head into a short summer hiatus.

As much as I love my band I'm looking forward to a couple of months off, I'm going to take the opportunity to do some solo acoustic gigs, which I haven't done for a while.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass