Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Last night we were at The Crows Nest in East Grinstead, they'd stopped doing bands for the last year or so, and this was the first official night since they've started putting on bands again.

Pretty quiet for the first set, a lot of people didn't know they'd started putting on live music again, plus we were due to start ten minutes into the second half of the Champions League final, which didn't help. Second set was a lot better though, fitba had finished and fair few more people turned up, went down very well and the landlord was pleased, there's a video on Facebook - anyone know if there's a way of getting that onto YouTube?

[url="https://www.facebook.com/hectorbizerk/videos/vb.120451248040651/851719278247174/?type=1&theater"]https://www.facebook.com/hectorbizerk/videos/vb.120451248040651/851719278247174/?type=1&theater[/url]

Not sure if you will see this, but this is a wee crowd video from our gig last night in King tuts, Glasgow. Sold out, absolutely rammed. Great fun. Proud moment for us for two reasons. firstly, Selling out King tuts is quite a cool thing to have in your CV for a Glasgow band. secondly though, this was a sell out due to people going out to buy the tickets. We, as a band, didnt have to sell to our friends and family. This wasnt a room of people that came to see us because they felt they had to, they came because they wanted to. There was a constant stream of punters who got turned away at the door too. That for me is a massive deal, and for the first time in my bass playing life, theres an actual demand for what we do!

Edited by lefrash

We did a Sunday gig which was a pay at the door thing which we never do.I am not sure how we got booked to do pay at the door show.

Sundays can be hit and miss and the venue, while a lot of the Milwaukee [i]"heavy hitters" [/i]have played there it's still kind of in the[i] "is this place safe" [/i]category.

Anyway the weather was great, and about 80 very cool people showed up, very appreciative and engaged with the band. Many were fans that follow the band around. And we only had to play for 2 hours Very good money. My kind of gig.

Weird, this week we have a gig at a bar right around the corner. Friday night, a 9:30p-1:30a gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

Open air, public event yesterday afternoon, went pretty well and considering this band do heavy rock covers was very well received. Got a couple of videos, this was the opener, will add the other when it (finally) uploads.

http://youtu.be/8omzYNI5SW8

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1434294326' post='2798362']
Open air, public event yesterday afternoon, went pretty well and considering this band do heavy rock covers was very well received. Got a couple of videos, this was the opener, will add the other when it (finally) uploads.

http://youtu.be/8omzYNI5SW8
[/quote]

Nice tone!

Just out of interest, what was Plan B if it rained?

We played in West Wycombe on Friday night, decent place to play (they even rustled up a spare drum stool as ours had been left behind) but not many people there during the first set. Went out back during the break and there plenty there, mostly bikers there for an NCC (National Chopper Club) meet, so I had a word and they come in for the second set which made a huge difference to the atmosphere, we left them shouting for more after three encores. Back there again 4th July.

Was a pub gig last night, shoved In a corner next to the toilets.

Didn't go terribly well, wasn't notably awful.

Difficulty hearing parts of the set. I was stone cold sober throughout, aren't drunk people really annoying when you're sober?

Anyhow, we're not going back there I don't think.

Highlight was being paid.

Yesterday was great. First time in this smallished room pub where we had to clear the tables out of the way. The landlord just kept glaring at us. So we set up in the corner, right against the tables. First half ok, polite applause, picked up towards the end of the first half. Had half an hour break. Second half was like we were in a different pub, people dancing everywhere, including people dancing on tables, had a few encores, including songs we had already played. Fantastic night.

And then a really old guy came over to me after I had finished our last song, killer, and said 'Well done, the bass player is always the cool dude!'.

And the akai unibass proved more useful than I thought it would be too, so well worth it.

Afterwards the landlord who had suddenly become friendly took us out the back to show us his huge bowling alley and said 'this is the perfect place for bands, but there is no bar, so I can't get anyone to come out here!'

Edited by Woodinblack

The best gigs are not always the obvious ones. Today the village of Coxwold had its open garden day. They were expecting a brass band, they got us. Now I've played to small audiences before but this time the 2 men and a dog stayed in the snug whilst we played outside under a gossamer thin gazebo in driving drivel and numbing cold. If you know the Scottish word 'dreek' that sums it up.

In situations like that you play for your own and each others pleasure. Our spirits were lifted momentarily by the appearance of a French beauty adding that certain je ne sais quoi. Mike Wilson missed the one beat on '5 Ft 2' and suddenly we were into a Trad-Reggae fusion. Next off the 'Old Rugged Cross' became a rock anthem with John Hesp doing a mighty fine imitation of Richie Blackmore at his best. Sadly the cold finally did for Madame and she returned to her family in the warmth of the bar and we played out the rest of our set. Life in the old dogs yet.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1434295679' post='2798381']

Nice tone!

Just out of interest, what was Plan B if it rained?
[/quote]

Err.......pass, fortunately it didn't come to that :lol:

The tone is those massive ceramic humbuckers on the G&L into EBS :)

Here's the other video, interestingly I change from active to passive half way through and you can hear a slight shift in the tone.

http://youtu.be/Etaf_j14NeI

First time in a new venue for us. Great pub, nice area for the band to set up. Enough room for the five of us with all our gear and a bit of wiggle room too. Not a huge turnout as apparently a lot of their regulars were away at Download. Debuted my Morpheus drop tune pedal in our drop tuned section. It's got a slight underwatery sound on it but that's mainly lost in the mix so I'm happy with it.

Set went down very well, had the place bouncing but there was that one, drunk, overenthusiastic wannabe...

"Can I sing one?"
"You should let me do your backing vocals"
"I sang that at my birthday you should let me sing it"

He even grabbed my mic at one point and I had to politely advise him to never do that again and to step away from it, which he duly obliged.

Booked in for a couple more there, looking forward to them.

We did a favour gig in Standford in the Vale as we rehearse in a band member's house there. Had a good laugh with Jen when we spotted this on his gate as we walked to the gig from where we parked:

[attachment=194325:1-2015-06-14 17.50.01.jpg]

Poor Jenny, reduced to second billing behind the egg throwing competition. Oh how the mighty are fallen!

Had a great gig on Saturday night at Pavlov's Dog in Reading, possibly one of our best yet. The "stage" sound wasn't ideal, but the other bands sounded good out front, so that's the key thing. Our fifth member was on holiday, which meant we had a bit more space to move around in. Had a great time though - it was quite toasty warm in that corner, but we gave it our all, and the crowd reciprocated, those lovely lovely people.

We've got two gigs this weekend, and we're also popping back into the recording studio for a day, as the producer lost one of our songs. C'est la vie.

S.P.

The Barrels in Hereford last night. This is seriously one of the coolest pubs I've ever been in. All ages were there, all getting along, all cheerful and enjoying some ace beer. Great big beer garden and a lovely venue room/hall thing with a bar at the back. We went down OK, not sure to be honest, I was way too impressed with the pub itself to notice!

Very mixes set last night @ Live in Stockport. On between two bands, no sound-check. First three songs were destroyed by massive bass feedback (badly placed kick-drum mic), sound engineer took a while to get on top of it. Went well from there in and been asked to play a biker do in August.

Well the new project finally got to have it's first outing last night. After about 6 or 7 rehearsals we'd just about got 2 sets together (we're working more on new extra stuff now to expand the list) and only one opportunity to set up our own PA before we got offered a gig at less than 24 hrs notice but thought 'what the hell'. You need to get out and do it for real for some things to manifest themselves that need attention that you don't always pick up in a rehearsal room. Yes, we all had a few mistakes (I've played a lot better for sure) here and there and I was left with my dick in the wind on one song that they started out of sequence without warning and I didn't have the patch for my midi pedals ready so I was constantly playing catchup. Also had a Les Dawson moment in the encore as I got cramp in my midi pedal playing foot and it seized up on me for a few bars (the foot, not the pedal) - ouch!
It's just tired pub rock covers but there's a market for it and I'm pretty sure we will get rebooked, overall very positive response from punters at the end including one guy who wanted our number to pass on to landlord at his local so he can contact us for our availability. It's still a bit off the finished article but a solid start.
Finally big thanks to our very own [b]Chris Sharman[/b] who brought the ever fragrant Mrs S with him to watch some ageing weekend warriors get up and have a go, I swear I spotted him dong some male bonding during one of the later numbers ;) . Hopefully get to return the favour tonight and see Chris in Nottingham.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1434786554' post='2802756']
It's just tired pub rock covers but there's a market for it and I'm pretty sure we will get rebooked
[/quote]

Don't put yourselves down with 'tired' - if people are enjoying it and you're enjoying it that it's just as relevant as when it was released: it's entertainment. As for demand - there's definitely demand out there for decent rock covers, doesn't pay well but is well received. For us hobbyists it's all that really matters.

Slander played the Tap N Tumbler in Nottingham last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great crowd, really helpful venue staff and excellent sound engineer.

Only downside was the 6 hr round trip. I'd definitely do it again though!

If I hadn't been playing I'd probably have been down the T&T Paul, maybe next time! There's still a crowd there these days but you should have seen it in the 90's when the rock nights at nearby rock city was really pulling them in, T&T was packed every weekend. Good to hear the staff do alright by the bands, ironically when it was in its heyday it was run by a miserable old bag.

Sat waiting to play at a Welsh rugby clubs summer ball , there is a guy called john devereux going on forever about rugby stories and we are supposed to be done by 12.00 and I don't think we will start until 11.30 . So I reckon we will just have time for a few verses of 'swing low sweet chariot'. Do you think we will get out in one piece :)