Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Third gig of our three gig bank holiday weekend, this time at my local pub, so I was able to walk there and back (200 yards each way) with my rucksack and a couple of Jazz basses. No amp as I DI through the PA these days.

Each of the three gigs has been better than the last, this one certainly topped them all. We played for a total of three hours, including several encores and 2 or 3 songs we had never played before. Finally, they organised a collection for the charity of my choice in celebration of my recent triumph over prostate cancer, £130 raised. I did have to play an impromptu bass solo as a condition of the pub adding £50 to the collection, but seemed to get away with it.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1432515782' post='2782272']
Third gig of our three gig bank holiday weekend, this time at my local pub, so I was able to walk there and back (200 yards each way) with my rucksack and a couple of Jazz basses. No amp as I DI through the PA these days.

Each of the three gigs has been better than the last, this one certainly topped them all. We played for a total of three hours, including several encores and 2 or 3 songs we had never played before. Finally, they organised a collection for the charity of my choice in celebration of my recent triumph over prostate cancer, £130 raised. I did have to play an impromptu bass solo as a condition of the pub adding £50 to the collection, but seemed to get away with it.
[/quote]

Sounds like a good weekend of gigs.

Well done on raising the £130 and congrats on triumphing over the Prostate Cancer, there are a few of us veteran prostate problem fighters on here :D

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1432538613' post='2782318']
Sounds like a good weekend of gigs.

Well done on raising the £130 and congrats on triumphing over the Prostate Cancer, there are a few of us veteran prostate problem fighters on here :D
[/quote]

Thank you, Gary, it was a great weekend, and the grande finale with the complete surprise of a public announcement of my recent news was a bit of a shock, but having it used for a good cause was a good twist.

I am sure that there must be quite a few people on here who are dealing with or have dealt with prostate cancer, I opted for surgery and it appears to have completely cleared it.

Now I have to deal with a night without a gig!

Saturday was the debut for the band - we've only done open mic nights before. Pretty much everything was against us. Playing at 7.00 pm in the garden, lack of punters, weather wasn't that good, pub doesn't normally do music. But, it went really well. As we did the soundcheck some people came up to us with requests - we don't do requests, but we put them on the PA fom the IPod and I think they really appreciated that. We managed to get pretty much all the punters into the garden and most were singing along. Highlight of the night was "Al the smalll things" which went down a storm with the youngsters. We did an encore of (say it quietly) "Sex on Fire", and actually ended up adding an extra chorus so the crowd could sing along.

We didn't play particularly well, and there were a few bum notes form both the guitarist and me, but nobody seemed to notice, possibly cos my set up (single 10" lightweight) was not quite up to an outside gig. I might be looking for a 15 speaker to move some more air.

Very mixed. Played a fave venue but not many there this time. Despite a sound check our sound was awful in the first set. Everyone especially the guitarists were too loud and singer racing through chord changes despite mine and drummers best efforts to hold everything back. Sorted out the levels and mix and 2nd set went much better. Not a rapturously received performance as previously at that venue but solid and bar management were pleased. Going to address a few issues in the practice tomorrow night and try the whole set dropped down to E flat to give the singer a bit of a rest on the higher songs.

Great gig last night @ Mash Guru in Macclesfield. Decent crowd in for a Thursday and people had fun, lots of compliments. First set wasn't a patch on the second though - might have been our energy levels or soberness of the punters.

Invited back for a Saturday in the near future.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1432585256' post='2783078']
Played MainStage at Darwen Music Live today. Nailed it. Lots of happy campers :)
[/quote]

Nice one! Which band were you in Paul? My band Headsticks were on just before Space

Great night overall.

Promised a house amp. When I asked about the cab the soundman laughed and said "Oh that's just for show, it doesn't work, you cant even plug it in!" He turned the bass up in the stage monitors to so all good.

We were expecting it to be quiet, so threw 4 new songs into our 9 song set...Which of course guaranteed the place was rammed!

The headline band Dead Frequency were fantastic! Check them out if you get a chance!

New venue last night for us. A 90 min drive each way and the place is known for punk & classic rock. Not what we do so, a little apprehensive. Turned out a great night, kept them all there until 12.45 and I've never seen so many 50 year old punks and rockers dancing away to Never can say goodbye, Hot stuff, Uptown funk and Ladies night. :lol:

Got an extra 50€ tip and I'm pretty sure, a few more gigs in the future. Only down side was getting in at 2.45 a.m.

Hate to moan on a beautiful sunny day, but... Did an originals gig for the first time in just over a year; last band on at 10:30, terrible PA, shared backline and most people went home at 10. Reminded me why I joined a functions band in the first place.

Our first gig at a little local festival yesterday with our new traditional ska/reggae outfit "The Bluespots", the crowds seemed to dig it. Sporting the Sire V7 for its first gig too and it performed wonderfully...oodles of bass lows :)

Obligatory dodgy phone footage from someone in the crowd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B1-icY3aZg&feature=youtu.be

Pretty average gig at the British Legion in Fowey last night. Crap weather so not many people out and about. Godawful hour's drive back home through pea-soup fog, howling wind and driving rain....

We (DarkSky) played "The Lucky Break" club in Clydebank, Glasgow on Thursday night. I hadn't been there before, all of it's marketing stuff seemed to show it as a snooker club. It is, but it also has a nice sized stage with a good sized dancing area and powerful PA, fed through a nice modern Behringer X32 desk. The resident sound engineer John was great. If you are going to play there, there's also a fixed installation of about 5 video cameras that gets recorded during the gig - if we had taken a big USB flash drive with us, we could have had the 5 video feeds and the feed from the desk for us to edit/use. Sound on stage was a little variable (the drummer's monitor kept cutting out, which made his life a bit more difficult, and I found it difficult to hear the guitarist on stage) but out the front it was great.

An hour's set of originals (which is all we play) and as such, we didn't get such a great reception as the following bands. However, it was nice to be out gigging again for the first time after Emma Dark's new baby came along. Nice to use my new (to me) AGC J type 5 out live as well, great booming D notes :-)

[url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwa4iqna50j2mfy/Band1.jpg?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox..../Band1.jpg?dl=0[/url]

Edited by RalphDWilson

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1433075312' post='2787532']
Our first gig at a little local festival yesterday with our new traditional ska/reggae outfit "The Bluespots", the crowds seemed to dig it. Sporting the Sire V7 for its first gig too and it performed wonderfully...oodles of bass lows :)

Obligatory dodgy phone footage from someone in the crowd [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B1-icY3aZg&feature=youtu.be[/media]
[/quote]

Great name for a Ska band. it was while working on big old Blue Spot Radiograms as an apprentice that I got turned on to Prince Buster and Blue Beat stuff. Years before most people in the UK had even heard of it.

Two good gigs this weekend. first one on Friday night was at a bar/nightclub in Dunstable, we've played there before and it never really gets going until 11pm. We started at 10.30 and the place was almost empty until after midnight when people started streaming in and the place was rammed. We carried on playing until quarter to two. Highlight of the evening was when half the office staff of one of my clients from my day job came in on a works night out, they were quite astounded to see their computer support guy rocking away on stage.

Saturday's gig was a 21st birthday party at a pub in Luton. Big enthusiastic crowd and the dancefloor was full for both our sets, slightly spoiled by the nutter dancer who looked as if he was going to crash into the PA speakers at any moment but luckily never did. After we finished a very lovely lady came up and told me what an incredible bass player I am, so that's my ego sorted out for a while!

1.5 hour festival gig, Nice stage, sound and lights provided. The sound crew was top notch. The sound on stage was flawless. It was nice to get away from the 4 hour bar gig.

Unfortunately it was freezing and there wasn't much of a crowd.

Blue

Edited by blue

Was asked by the band I quit earlier this year to dep for them Sat night as the guy that replaced me was already commited to a gig in a different band for that date before he joined! Ah well it was fairly easy, didn't have to learn anything new and the crowd wasn't bad. The singer from my new band even turned up to hear the first set. Then yesterday I had a 3 hour session with new band, first time we've set up with all our own gear in an empty room just so we could get a workable PA running from what we had between us, actually didn't sound too bad at all and I could finally get a monitor back to hear my own bvox! Also someone who knew what he was talking about was there to give us feedback on how the whole sound was coming over FOH (we set up in a working men's club) which was really helpfull, especially as he was continually telling 2 guitars to turn down (I've thought they were too loud when we've practiced before but good to get a 2nd opinion).Totally knackered by the time I got home though.

Edited by KevB

A Bob Marley tribute night.

I was told well in advance not to bring my amp as one of the bands was sharing theirs. On the day I get a message saying yes, they are sharing amps, but don't actually have a bass player! So much for getting the bus 😡

Anyway, it was a good night with the atmosphere ramping up nicely and our 11:30 set was a great time to go on. We had purposely emphasised the older rootsy stuff for this gig but judged that for an encore they'd like something with a bit more bite, and did a full on jump-up-and-down drum and bass type that really got them going. Wish the whole set had been more uptempo now.

The two Bob Marley covers went ok considering we had only practiced them for the first time on Thursday (Lively Up Yourself and Pimpers Paradise)

A chap came to introduce himself as the organiser of a festival that we are booked in for un the summer, and had come to check us out. We're still booked so must have been ok 😀

I had said that the band on after us could use my amp. When setting up the bass player looked a bit confused and concerned at the pre/power/cab setup with no apparent EQ controls. At the end of the gig he was wringing my hand saying how perfect it was and he couldn't wait to play with us next time so that he could use it again 😊 it did sound superb out front.

Edited by Roland Rock

A rare outing for us, the first of 2 this year. A description and a couple of pics here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/263394-it-just-works/page__pid__2792785#entry2792785"]It Just Works ..! ...[/url]

... so I shan't duplicate here. Next gig: 21 June, don't know if it's for the Fête de la Musique or a private 'do', so surprises in store, maybe. Same rig, and outdoors, too. It's tough at the top. ;)