Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Cloudbusting had a cracking gig at The Brook, Southampton. Good size appreciative crowd, its what makes a gig so sweet innit :)

Seemingly obligatory pic of hairy bassist ( and not so hairy singer ;))

[URL=http://s392.photobucket.com/user/sprocketflup/media/cbthebrook_zpskhnjsgsr.jpg.html][IMG]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/sprocketflup/cbthebrook_zpskhnjsgsr.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Absolutely awesome!
We played The Portland in Cambridge, the ticket price had been set at £10 (not by us) which we all thought was a bit much for a pub gig. We assumed it would be dead, so we chucked in 4 brand new songs into a 9 song set.

Then 120 paying punters rolled in! Fantastic night all round!

Here is one of our never before played songs! Eek!

[url]http://youtu.be/PXip4a78A0Q[/url]

Had a pub gig last night, went fairly well, though I think we had a bit too much "mellow" content in the set. Things nearly fell apart during the last song when the '1' briefly disappeared, but we kept cool heads and wrangled it back into submission.

Cute little coincidence as I step off the stage and am approached by a familiar face, a guy who played drums in a previous band with me. "Oh hello, " I smile, "fancy meeting you here! Is this your local?" "Nah, " he beams back, "we're up next!"

S.P.

Launch of a new side project, at a local open mic night, containing the drummer and guitarist from my main band.

We are Me Next and the Gimme Gimmes, a tribute to "the greatest cover band in the world" Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. Played two high energy sets of three songs, (the first being only six minutes long!), in full Hawaiian shirt attire and went down really well. Overall a really encouraging start to a new project and the most fun I've had on stage for ages!

Only a couple of pictures have surfaced so far but there are more to follow!

[url="http://s106.photobucket.com/user/jon_kemo/media/Gimme20Gimmes_zps2bhuwmxs.jpg.html"][/url]

First gig of 2015 for the Terrortones. And a great way to start. Supporting The Ricochets at The old Angel in Nottingham.

Tried out some new songs which went down well, and our guitarist went wireless for the first time which he thought was a success. Just need to find something suitably robust for Mr Venom...

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/11045297_10153732842411164_359736755359529453_n_zpsu1tnobve.jpg[/IMG]

The rest of the month is going to be relatively quiet while we work on new songs and get ready for recording our album. Next gigs are April in Leeds supporting The Brains and Birmingham with The Frantic Flintstones.

[quote name='jon_kemo' timestamp='1425903788' post='2711941']
Launch of a new side project, at a local open mic night, containing the drummer and guitarist from my main band.

We are Me Next and the Gimme Gimmes, a tribute to "the greatest cover band in the world" Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. Played two high energy sets of three songs, (the first being only six minutes long!), in full Hawaiian shirt attire and went down really well. Overall a really encouraging start to a new project and the most fun I've had on stage for ages!

Only a couple of pictures have surfaced so far but there are more to follow!

[url="http://s106.photobucket.com/user/jon_kemo/media/Gimme20Gimmes_zps2bhuwmxs.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

You appear to have turned back time and got an 80's era Graham Bonnet in on vocals. Well done sir!

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Johnm93' timestamp='1425744181' post='2710288']
Played as a threesome at the regular open mic night at The Queen's Head in Brixton last Tuesday.
We were fourth on a set of ten acts - three songs each is the rule.

Nailed it, if I say so myself...
[/quote]

Played as a threesome at a different open mic night last night.
Almost un-nailed it this time...

Hey ho...

Support slot for Tragedy, a metal tribute to the Bee Gees and other naffness. I don't know who was responsible for arrangements but us and 2 other support acts were contacted a mere 12 hours before. A massive effort on the part of all bands to sort kitshare/stage times etc ensued. The headliners were adamant that NO-ONE was to touch their gear.
Despite all this, we struggled through and put on a kick ass show.

See us here if you want.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-MBjpN15L0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-MBjpN15L0[/url]

Small pub gig in Chesterfield. Tbh I was truly awful and more than a bit sloppy. In fact, if I had thrown myself in front of a train i would have ended up behind it! Still, the punters didn't seem to notice/care and I got to watch a cute goth/emo dance away in front of me all night. Actually, that might explain the timing thing!

Same old same old in the Dog & Decibel Meter last night.

Is it just me getting old and jaded, or is the proliferation of sh*te "coke" making for even more arseholish behaviour than normal?

Getting really sick of manic, gurning, teeth-grinding tosspots spoiling it for everyone in the place.

Not my gig but I know seashell is busy so .........

I traveled to Brum last night to watch Shell on her "farewell to Sun Puddle tour"she,along with KevB were kind enough to come to one of my gigs so I thought that I would repay the favour.I am very glad that I did too.

Sun Puddle were playing at The Two Towers Brewery which is a definite "music venue".....it took me a while to realise it was a venue at all...It's an industrial unit,on an industrial site,on a back street just outside the city near the Jewelery quarter.You definitely have to be into the music to find it! Mind you, Real ale and live music only £2.00 entry ,what's not to like? :)

Sun Puddle (I love that name!) opened up ,they performed a 30 mins set of covers and played very well. Shell had a fabulous tone throughout that packed a punch but mixed in well.I liked their choice of songs....especially Zombie as I hadn't heard a band cover that before,the vocalist was excellent.

Everybody enjoyed them ,with lost of positive comments about the performance .The guy in charge was very impressed.

Unfortunately Shell had to leave straight after playing (I don't think she made up the story to avoid me ;) ) so I was left to watch the other acts on my own.Sadly the next act on were a little too.....erm...eclectic(?) for me so I retired to my hotel for a meal and drinks.

Good luck with the new venture Shell,let me know when you play next.....if you are a glutton for punishment I am playing in Cradley Heath next Saturday.....don't feel obliged to come....anyone else is also free to turn up and hurl abuse too.

Many thanks for coming Ray, and for the lovely review. Just so everyone knows I don't usually 'play and run' but I got the call on the way to the gig that my Dad had been taken to hospital
But the show must go on as thy say, so I'm really glad I did the gig. I'll update about Dad in OT when I get the chance.

I get to post in this thread again! :D

Last night was Carbon Skyline at The Jolly Farmer's in Croydon, went really well. The band is myself and the guitarist from our main band Naked Bass, with the dep drummer from Naked Bass and another singer, we play a similar set list, but not exactly the same.

I've not gigged since New Year's Eve, and we've not played with this lineup in over a year, however went really well - we lost the structure in two songs, but managed to get it back together pretty well. Other than the that the whole band played preally well, plenty of happy, dancing punters and probably a wedding booking off the back of it. Great to be out playing again, was buzzing afterwards.

First time I've gigged my new EBS cab too, I'm really happy with the HD350 / Neo 2x12 combination - so pleased I went back to EBS, there's so much clarity, you can hear every note. There is however, no hiding any poor technique or duff notes :lol:

Next Friday I'm off to Woking for the first of a couple of dep gigs with hard rock/heavy metal covers band Sent Her Mental, so no letting up the practice regime this week

Forgot my phone on friday at work, which was a bit annoying (nice to listen to headphones when I am trying to get stuff done). Still, a good day, got home looking forward to a curry and a 'do nothing night', only to find my phone full of messages, as there had been some cancelation and the band were trying to get in touch to play that night. Said ok, got down there. Nice little pub, a bit empty. Setup, by which time it was a lot fuller. Did the first set, sound was bad, drummer wasn't happy as he couldn't hear me, and could hear the guitarist too much, made a few mistakes too, got polite applause after most songs, but not really feeling it. Had a break.

Second half, started ok, a girl got up to dance. Then another, then they pulled some bloke up, then a few more. By the time we were 4 songs in, half the pub was up. And whats more, they stayed up. There was this young guy who the drummer was talking to that wanted to have a go, so we let him and turned out, he was actually very good, and the crowd liked him too. In the end, we ran out of songs to do encores, as we did several, and it was a great night, probably the best I have done. And they invited us back before we even left.

Not bad for a quiet friday night in!

Did a cancer charity gig at a local social club. Had a great night, packed house, great crowd and the organiser had arranged a PA for us which turned out to be an absolute corker of a rig! Used my new Sire V7 for the first set and was very impressed, it's definitely a keeper, but switched to my Warwick for the second set and, no matter how many basses I buy, putting that bass on just feels like putting your favourite pair of shoes or jeans on, it just feels so right. Also used my RH750 instead of the Shuttle 9.2 last night, and it sounded great, actually really glad it didn't sell! Maybe having a couple of really nice amps isn't overkill after all and I'll keep them both!

Had a good gig at an 80's weekender in Southport but 3 songs the lead my sound disappeared and the overload light came on my amp, so bypassed that and went direct to a DI-box.
One song later the signal disappeared again..... transpired the lead from my tuner to the DI box had decided to be intermittent. Scrapped that cable, went straight into the DI from my lead and thru to my bass amp. All went fine for the rest of the gig. But as you can imagine I never felt relaxed after that in case it was something else.
Fortunately the gig went well and the singer managed to keep the audience entertained until we got it sorted out.

Not my gig, but the wife's first one with her Irish music band (she's on bodhran and vox) They played to a packed house which stayed packed. I think they were all apprehensive as it's a new venture and only been going 8 weeks but the great reception really did the trick for them.

Makes a change to carry her gear and support her after 45 years of doing it the other way round.

Must talk to them about the 6 music stands :D

Edited by leschirons

My first ever gig on friday night. It went better than I thought it would but not as well as I would have liked,I mucked up a few times.
Learned a few things 1 4x10 bass cabs are hard work getting up a flight of stairs
2 try not to get distracted by the crowd. Our band got a couple of gig offers from it so we are all pleased.
Russ