Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Friday was a small, but very nice wedding on a farm in the Sussex countryside.

Lovely people who were up for the band and had made the venue look great; thumbs up to the caterers too who sorted us out with drinks as soon as we arrived and the lass who deposited a plate of food and cake at my feet during the second set :lol:

We played well, including two new songs that the bride and groom requested; one of which was the first dance and the other was The Ataris cover of The Boys Of Summer - that one's definitely a keeper, not a particuly interesting bass part, but a really fun song.

On the down side, even though we finished relatively early (about 10:45), we were all exhausted, I think the high humidity on Friday really took it out of us.

Also, as a bonus the bridal party had requested we not play Sex On Fire (possibly Christian concerns, not sure) so it was nice not to have to knock that one out.

BigRedX, The Rigger is one of my local venues.....great place to play soundwise etc, very few people through the door though. I'll be honest the music scene around here is pretty hard work at the minute. Hardly anyone goes to see unsigned stuff anymore :-( I did mean to pop in as I saw that you were playing, ending up having a rehearsal that night though.

Anyway, my gig yesterday was crap. Played at Moduska festival in Birmingham. Luckily it was in a covered marquee!!! Stage was ace P.A was ace, sound guy was pretty good, provided backline Ampeg 8x10 and a Marshall stack was nice (first time I've played through an 8x10, can't see what the fuss is about tbh). As it was a mod and ska hence Moduska festival our brand of funk rock went down like a lead balloon! Got payed in cider and kebabs. Came home and got pissed.

Tywarnhayle Inn at Perranporth last night for my last official gig with the rock'n'roll band, although I have agreed to step in occasionally, as their prospective new dude is in other bands too... a good night!

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1405847624' post='2505657']
Also, as a bonus the bridal party had requested we not play Sex On Fire (possibly Christian concerns, not sure) so it was nice not to have to knock that one out.
[/quote]
Fnarr fnarr!

Outdoors last night on a hayrick with a tarpaulin for shelter in Kent - chucking down with rain but the tarp held up well - only had to be emptied once. Audience were all in open fronted marquees facing the band and a few mad souls came out and danced under umbrellas! Storms didn't get too close - about 15/20 miles away. Bit scary at the end of the gig to discover that the one bit of the stage that had got wet was where the extension socket were - they were absolutely soaked!

Had driven from working in Somerset to do the gig and hadn't had a chance to refuel so was a tense journey home driving past all the closed petrol stations - made 30 miles with the warning light on before I found one open!

Great gig but a bit too much adventure for one night!

[quote name='Johnm93' timestamp='1405792927' post='2505345']
Well, that must have improved, then.
I went there three times and the sound was really awful. All volume and no balance.
This could be a reason for the low turnout.
From what you are saying they seem to have a better sound man now. I shall check it out once more...
[/quote]

No was definitely good there on Friday. Might have been to do with the way that Boppin' B soundcheck. Get all the vocals sounding good both FoH and in the foldback first and fit the other instruments around that. However comparing photos that we'd seen on line with what the venue looked like in the flesh it might have had a bit of a makeover recently. We and our small audience had a good time anyway!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Tom Brookes Music' timestamp='1405848597' post='2505665']
BigRedX, The Rigger is one of my local venues.....great place to play soundwise etc, very few people through the door though. I'll be honest the music scene around here is pretty hard work at the minute. Hardly anyone goes to see unsigned stuff anymore :-( I did mean to pop in as I saw that you were playing, ending up having a rehearsal that night though.
[/quote]

It's a great venue to play. Sound was being done by another Basschatter (whose handle I unfortunately can't remember - sorry). The surrounding area does look a bit run down… I was expecting a decent turnout for Boppin' B at least, but judging from both gigs they've been brought over mainly to play yesterday's Trees festival and tonight's Underworld gig. The others are just to pad out the tour. Still looking forward to tonight's gig… Camden here we come!

First full gig with the new drummer, and the old drummer (who is will a great mate) was there as well, so the fact that it was a good night was pleasing.
Aggie & Super12 sounding particularly wonderful with the L2500.
Some new songs some old (very old for us for some) but all went well and with a friendly crowd was a great star for the new lineup.
From a long layoff and a tail end of the previous lineup that got 'difficult' with pussyfooting around song wise we have got back to more what we're happy with and the fun was back again - noticed & commented on by MrsW

Another evening of Mustang Sally and Sex On Fire for me in a marquee.
Artistically unrewarding, but the audience loved it and wedding gigs are always good for the bank balance. ;)

Have been asked if I can fill a last minute slot at the [url="http://www.heathermusicfestival.co.uk/"]Heather Music Festival[/url] next weekend, so a nice little folky duo being put together at some point this week.

First gig slot with my new covers band The Badly Stuffed Bears. Played at a private party at the farm i used to live at in rural Derbyshire. We played a 45 minute spot in between the two 1 hour spots of the main act.

The main act from Sleaford had been booked via an agent who obviously painted a slightly grander picture of what was actually happening hence them turning up with a 3K PA and all the kit for a marquee event on a grand scale not on the lawn of a house. We had to fit in around them but I think we all coped admirably, as soon as we had done our set we cleared the stage of all our kit for their second slot to the finish at which point I hit the beer (3 barrels of differnet IPA's from a couple of breweries).

Any-whoo our mix of Ska, reggae, and one or two other genres went down a storm with dancing from the first note it seemed and we were called back for one more ending up with me donning the sunglasses and doing the intro to a busked version of One Step Beyond which nearly took the roof off!

Still buzzing!

Played at the Portland Arms in Cambridge last night with the new band... went really well. Probably got a crowd of about 100...

https://soundcloud.com/richard-thurbin/sets/rubber-duck-gig-19th-july

Saturday night, played at the best wedding ever......the wedding of our guitarist and singer! So not only did they have their favourite band playing the main set we went up and did a middle section and finished the night off with The Chain and What's Up!! Fantastic, if a little hot to say the least, also had lots of guest friends up so it was like a who's who of all our muso friends! Here's me grooving and then growing out of our singers head!!

The Grapes , in Bury St Edmunds . Last gig after 21 years - singer had enough . One of the best gigs , and a monster turn out . Sort of elated and flat at the same time . Going to look for someone else , as it's too good a band to stop , but it's just going to feel a bit strange . Onwards and upwards though .

As some of you may have gathered from other threads, we hit Bedford Riverside festival yesterday afternoon, in sweltering heat, but managed to strut our stuff in front of some 2000 people..which was daunting. BUT ... we had dancers after 1 song after a great response after our 30 min slot..all in all a great if somewhat sweaty appearance..roll on the next 1!

[url="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=676172442460016&set=ms.c.eJw9kNsVBCEIQzuaIxDB9N~%3BYzsDGzyvkgVlp5QzHJrOeHMau940UF80z~%3BbLNvnjz24~%3BAn0FHrmWmOVpfLs7hJb8cP~_lj8o78w9rv5kf3iy329qslPz~_9H8rD5B3Ng8O6F5i~_Kbbxv329GbrHR0~%3Bp3w~%3BofPsBIw1Eiw~-~-.bps.a.108917245852208&type=1&theater"]http://www.facbook....&type=1[/url]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=676172269126700&set=ms.c.eJw9kNsVBCEIQzuaIxDB9N~%3BYzsDGzyvkgVlp5QzHJrOeHMau940UF80z~%3BbLNvnjz24~%3BAn0FHrmWmOVpfLs7hJb8cP~_lj8o78w9rv5kf3iy329qslPz~_9H8rD5B3Ng8O6F5i~_Kbbxv329GbrHR0~%3Bp3w~%3BofPsBIw1Eiw~-~-.bps.a.108917245852208&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=676172945793299&set=ms.c.eJw9kNsVBCEIQzuaIxDB9N~%3BYzsDGzyvkgVlp5QzHJrOeHMau940UF80z~%3BbLNvnjz24~%3BAn0FHrmWmOVpfLs7hJb8cP~_lj8o78w9rv5kf3iy329qslPz~_9H8rD5B3Ng8O6F5i~_Kbbxv329GbrHR0~%3Bp3w~%3BofPsBIw1Eiw~-~-.bps.a.108917245852208&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=676172525793341&set=ms.c.eJw9kNsVBCEIQzuaIxDB9N~%3BYzsDGzyvkgVlp5QzHJrOeHMau940UF80z~%3BbLNvnjz24~%3BAn0FHrmWmOVpfLs7hJb8cP~_lj8o78w9rv5kf3iy329qslPz~_9H8rD5B3Ng8O6F5i~_Kbbxv329GbrHR0~%3Bp3w~%3BofPsBIw1Eiw~-~-.bps.a.108917245852208&type=1&theater

Edited by Oopsdabassist

I think I'm getting jaded, I'm starting to rate our wedding gigs on the quality of the buffet rather than anything musical at all. Last nights was a rather simple and sightly rustic affair comprising range of breads, cheeses and potatoes. It actually worked very well. As I said to our guitarist queuing behind me you can only take prawn vol-au-vants for so long.

House band for a new jam night in Greenwich tonight. Monthly affair, I was distinctly average, glad a bassist friend turned up and jammed too. People loved it, dancing and compliments galore. We played as a 4 piece drums, bass, guitar and sax. The sax player was great.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1405893643' post='2506316']
I think I'm getting jaded, I'm starting to rate our wedding gigs on the quality of the buffet rather than anything musical at all. Last nights was a rather simple and sightly rustic affair comprising range of breads, cheeses and potatoes. It actually worked very well. As I said to our guitarist queuing behind me you can only take prawn vol-au-vants for so long.
[/quote]

Ha! Yep, this...Friday was sausage and chips with overdone pizza slices, Saturday a very small pork-pie-and-sausage-roll affair. Both well below par - a prawn vol-au-vent would have been welcomed.

Sunday night at Camden Underworld on our tour with Boppin' B and this time with The Meteors headlining.

We're on first at 7.30 with the doors only opening at 7.00. Looks at bit empty just before we start with only a handful of people wandering about. However some time during the second song when the stage lighting illuminates the audience area - it looks packed! Make lots of mistakes but no-one really notices. Great response and it looks like we've made a load of new fans. Moonshine Stalkers (with whom we've done several gigs in the past) are excellent and once again so are Boppin' B, who give us a load of contacts for gigs in Germany.

Finally up are The Meteors who turn up with a guitar and a snare drum (and small container load of T-shirts to sell) and expect to be able to borrow all the missing gear from the other bands. One day someone will call their bluff and they won't be able to play, but not last night. Psychobilly by numbers to an audience who think they can do no wrong. By far the least interesting band of the evening both musically and performance-wise.

Back home at 3.00 in morning. Next week it's the [url=http://rockandbluestickets.co.uk/website/friday-line-up/]Rock and Blues Old School Weekender[/url].

Wedding gig for us at the Coo Cathedral, Aboyne. Due to work I'm the last to arrive, holy sh1t this place is massive, granite walls, tall vaulted ceiling. This not going to sound good! I beg our guitarist to hold back on the volume and she does! Sounded OK in the end, helped by a large crowd, who were up dancing by the second tune. Great night and only a few flubbs. The hog roast at half time was awesome, greasy fingers doesn't make for great string life. Best thing we have another wedding gig there this weekend so we got to leave our gear and PA set up, RESULT!