Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

"a bunch of people who'd seen us supporting The Rezillos the previous month turned up"

It was well worth slumming it and supporting the Rezillos then! ;-)

I wish I had checked the gig guide before Friday I was in Nottingham (at the Canal house) and have not managed to get to see you yet.
I love the Runner too,played there many times in the past.

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1404814528' post='2495879']
"a bunch of people who'd seen us supporting The Rezillos the previous month turned up"

It was well worth slumming it and supporting the Rezillos then! ;-)

I wish I had checked the gig guide before Friday I was in Nottingham (at the Canal house) and have not managed to get to see you yet.
I love the Runner too,played there many times in the past.
[/quote]

Our next Nottingham gig is [url=http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240592-dick-venom-at-beerache-saturday-12th-july/]Beerache at The Maze on Saturday 12th July[/url].

After that we don't have anything local planned until the end of August.

TBH the last time I was in the Running Horse before Friday's gig was some time back in 80s to see a friend of mine play guitar in a blues band (Left Hand Thread IIRC).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1404814940' post='2495883']
Our next Nottingham gig is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240592-dick-venom-at-beerache-saturday-12th-july/"]Beerache at The Maze on Saturday 12th July[/url].

After that we don't have anything local planned until the end of August.

TBH the last time I was in the Running Horse before Friday's gig was some time back in 80s to see a friend of mine play guitar in a blues band (Left Hand Thread IIRC).
[/quote]
Thanks for linking your next gig...I'll not promise to be there but I will try....the problem is I will be meeting some old friends in the Bell at 1.00pm so may be a little "tired and emotional" by the time you are on!!!!

Good luck and have a fabulous gig either way.

Thanks. We're on first on Saturday so it'll probably be fairly early. I'll post times in the gig thread as soon as I have them.

In the mean time here's some more photos from Friday's gig:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/IMG_2372_zps09f46136.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/IMG_2567_zps81b698a5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/IMG_2781_zps083e3d8d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/IMG_2814_zps881f6358.jpg[/IMG]

We played two sets for the Ripley Music Festival (Derbyshire) last night at a busy pub on the market place. A successful gig with nothing out of the ordinary, except for one thing.
It was the first time I've done a gig where someone arrived by horsepower. An interesting, if slightly shabby-looking, gentleman rode his two-wheeled sulky up to the pub, tied up the horse and watched the first set before trotting off into the sunset.

That's Ripley for you!

We play Ripley music festival tomorrow at Crossley Park. Small world.

As to last nights gig we opened the Progadelic festival at the Haberdashers Arms in Adbaston, Staffordshire. A beautiful country location, gorgeous weather and cider. Lots of cider! The guys did a great job on the sound and although the bass was a little lost on the foldback it all sounded pretty good FOH.

We were on at 6:30 so there wasn't a lot of people there but those that were (good to see KevB there) seemed to enjoy us and we got a lot of good feedback from the other bands that were there. The other bands that were on last night (Third Quadrant, Ros Bruce and Sonic Tapestry) were all really good.

And the cider was nice.

I haven't stayed for the whole weekend but the rest of the band have, hopefully they'll be back by Sunday afternoon other wise our set at Ripley will consist of me and my amp with neither basses or bandmates to accompany me. Better pack my sax just in case...

May 9th we played a gig at the Cricketers in Rowtown, Addlestone. This was the day after my mum sadly passed away. She sang jazz and in my mind the show had to go on. Now I'm a bedroom guitarist really but the guys in the band were more than happy to let me have a go and do an interpretation of the St.Louis Blues, one of the songs that mum sang. It's taken a while to be comfortable to share it but here it is, I missed a few words and I'm no Bonamassa but it was fun nevertheless!!

http://youtu.be/K4sAokQKPPU

We played this afternoon at a blues festival that was set up to commemorate a town's birthday. Great weather, outdoors, lots of sober people and family's watching and enjoying, made a nice change form the usual 11pm start in the pubs and clubs.
Took the Stingray :) they had a nice Ampeg combo in the backline.. Sounded nice to my ear Ampeg and stingray.

Beer Festival. Nice P.A, nice crowd and new owners who were delighted as they
only took over 6 weeks ago ( the organisation was handed over well ).
Had a good chat to the new owners and they want to extend to the large field for next summer
and since this village pub has very few neighbours, I think they can do well.
On last nights evidence, we wish them the best...
altho the underlying note is that pubs change hands very quickly these days.

Edited by JTUK

We were gigging in Aberdeen on Friday (which was fairly pants but they did have a pick & mix) and stayed over, had some beers in the room afterwards, the lunch and a kick about in the car park the next day. We played a wedding at a distillery near Huntly - about an hour north of Aberdeen - last night, which was great. The bride and groom we're really nice, they offered us a room to get changed in (normally we have to find a toilet), the buffet was amazing, barbecued prawns, ribs, burgers, smoked bacon rolls, Lorn sausage. The crowd were fantastic, up for most of the night, getting compliments all round. And at the end the groom gave us a box of whiskey - I looked it up, they're about £50 a bottle!
It was all a bit emotional towards the end as it was our drummers last gig with us after 3 years before he goes to Abu Dhabi.

We were the open band for Beerache on Saturday - a party to celebrate Castle Rock brewing an Earache beer!

Considering that the other bands (Savage Messiah, Evil:Deth and Evil Scarecrow) were more typical Earache fare we went down surprisingly well. It was supposedly a beach party theme and our concession to that was was Mr Venom appearing on stage in swimming trunks with a towel wrapped round his waist; the towel didn't last long!

Judging from the comments afterwards I think we made a lot of new fans. Sold loads of copies of our various EPs and braved the sauna-style heat of the The Maze to watch the other bands.

Coming up a mini tour with German Rockabilly band Boppin' B...

Edited by BigRedX

Well, our progress to full on gigging band gradually continues. :)
Saturday night we had a proper gig in a pub, full band, hour long set. We got off to a flying start, hit them with all our best numbers (all covers) and it seemed to be going quite well. Then we started faltering a bit as we progressed on to things we didn't know that well and hadn't rehearesed enough. Nevertheless, after our final rendition of Rebel Yell by Billy Idol there were a few cries of 'more'! We made the mistake of providing them with more - Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana. We usually do this quite well, but it's in drop D and guitarist took about a million years to drop down (some technical issue with his instrument I gather). So by the time we finally did it they had all gone off the boil and our exit was somewhat of a tumbleweed moment. :blush:
What was brilliant about the whole evening was the band we were supporting. They are called Gunners Law, a hard rock 3 piece who are really excellent. If you are in the Black Country I urge you to see them! They were [b]so [/b]supportive of us as well. Not only let us use their back line (by prior arrangement) but also helped us with our sound check and setting up. Then actually watched our set and provided encouraging applause.
Real gents. Their bass sound is amazing - bass player is a man-mountain with long flowing hair who really commands a presence on the stage. His bass really thunders through your chest - brilliant!

The other highlight of the evening was the obligatory eccentric dancer. Middle aged bloke with his face painted like a dog. Doing a little dog-dance infront of the stage - with his hands held out like paws and shaking his bum as if wagging his tail. Shouting out 'Woof' to show his appreciation.
So all fairly normal for the Black Country then. :lol: :lol:

Part 2 of the Water for Dogs weekender saw us doing a spot at the Ripley Music Festival. Ma-hoo-sive stage on Crossley park great set up and sound courtesy of all the volunteers that run the festival. Unfortunately one of the DI's went down during the first track costing us the keyboard that provides the main melody for that track however they jumped straight to it and swapped it out whilst we kept the rhythm and guitars running with the keyboard player filling in on one of his other keyboards so we just about got away with it.

Other than that the set went well, people came to speak to us afterwards and we gained another 10% on our facebook "likes" (although that's not saying much). We also found out just after our set that we have been asked to perform at another festival in 3 weeks time with an hours slot between 9 and 10 pm. Things are definitely picking up for the dogs...

There are some photos of both this gig and Friday on the WfD Facebook page.

Our guitarist and singer had an acoustic set yesterday afternoon/evening in a pub garden, so I took the wife and kids along with my bass and joined them for about half the set. Was a lot of fun, changing up the feel of the songs to make them work acoustically.

Unfortunately, it as just a little too late in the day for the kids who were tired and emotional as a result.

Penn Street beer festival, last band in the Hit and Miss pub garden before the footy final, so 1st set was great, but people thinning out as time went on. Still, first time outdoors with these guys, and our PA just about held up I think, all in all great time and weather was spot on, hopefully some pics floating around later.

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1405170877' post='2499377']
That's Ripley for you!

We play Ripley music festival tomorrow at Crossley Park. Small world.
[/quote]

We sent a demo to the organisers of the Ripley Music Festival last year, and heard nothing back. Then about 6 weeks before the event we started seeing on-line advertising for the festival with our name amongst the bands playing. Tried to get in touch to find out exactly when we were playing, what time we needed to arrive and what equipment we needed to bring - heard nothing. No matter what contact method we used, no-one got back to us. After several weeks of trying to get in touch without any success we took another gig on the same night elsewhere in the country that we had been offered in the mean time.

A couple of days after the event still with no contact from the organisers we saw an on-line review of the gig with our band mentioned as one of those who had played...

I hope this who are playing this year have better luck than we did!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1405341981' post='2500946']
Penn Street beer festival, last band in the Hit and Miss pub garden before the footy final, so 1st set was great, but people thinning out as time went on. Still, first time outdoors with these guys, and our PA just about held up I think, all in all great time and weather was spot on, hopefully some pics floating around later.
[/quote]

Hope the pics show you resplendent in your sunglasses B) B) :lol:

A surprisingly smooth-running affair, given the settings - we were playing at the Foodies Festival, on Bristol Harbourside, and when we got there we learned that there was only one entrance, and that we'd have to schlep our gear through the crowd. Fortunately nobody seemed to mind us doing so, and we had a very enjoyable hour playing to a very appreciative crowd.

The festival organisers kindly provided the most state-of-the-art equipment to help us transport our backline:
[attachment=166753:ampTrolley.jpg]