Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Turned up to find another band loading in and their name was on the blackboard to play! Manager conveniently on holiday and his stand in wasn't taking any responsibility for the double booking and certainly wasn't going to offer any compensation. We'd given up one of our regular residency nights elsewhere to do this one so it was a double whammy. By the time our band leader turned up with the paperwork to show we were genuinely also booked the stand in manager had gone into hiding. We will have to catch up with the one who booked us when he's back from holiday, if no compensation we may have to write this venue off which would be a shame as we've gone down there fairly well in the past (which is why they asked us back or last night!!) The drummer was especially put out as he'd already unloaded his kit and gone to park up (no parking at the venue, city centre) and he'd invited a load of friends down.

We played our northernmost gig so far last night, Cropredy just north of Banbury. Great crowd including a bunch of my mates from the Harley Riders Club. Our first gig since dropping the slide guitarist recently, made for a much clearer sound and allowed Jenny to used her voice to better effect rather than just struggling to be heard.

Charity gig. Singer did the London marathon and this was towards the cause. A disappointing turn out, but a fun night anyway!

[On the downside, the venue. We've played it (function room above a pub) a few times before and there are plenty of negatives, but needs must. These were added to this time when we weren't allowed to unload from the car park into the room (a couple of steps), but rather through the pub going up a flight of stairs. Apparently because the owner/staff didn't want their car scratched. We won't be going back!]

It was also a last gig with the singer (he's moving), and likely my last gig on bass!

Just home from playing the Main stage at the Cinderford music festival.

Sounds very grand, but was sadly lacking!! Tent in a football pitch and very drunk but happy punters.

We were meant to go on for our 45 min set at 6.50, we ended up doing a 35 min set at 8.40!!

Played 3 wrong notes and am now beating myself up as I will not tolerate a single mistake in my playing.

Crowd seemed to love us, were shouting out Pink Floyd song titles (and was songs we were doing which was a bonus!) and they cheered for an encore which we sadly couldn't do.

Now back home in my bed in South Wales :lol:

Last night's gig was a good'un. It was thrown together when the landlord of one of the pubs I play at texted me last week to see if I could muster anything up (I'm between bands at the moment and doing mostly dep work!) - A few phone calls later, I had a band! A singer / guitarist who I've worked with previously and known for years, and then the guitarist and drummer from my previous band, Electric Lounge (who're both really damn good!).

Spent the night blagging it, but no issues at all, pub was packed and everyone were on their feet dancing, I had a couple of iffy moments when the singer told me on the spot he wanted to sing something in a different key :lol: Anyway, after the gig a guy came up to me, turns out he's an American bassist and his band are over here doing a UK tour, and he had a night off so came along to the gig, and he really liked my playing which was nice. He then went on to say that me, the drummer and guitarist are really tight in together and should get into a full time band together!

Well... a bit awkward considering I chose to leave that band! I loved working with them and last night reminded me how much I miss them, but some band politics (not really to do with either of them) led to me choosing to leave before sh*t got nasty with a member :(

Super easy 40th last night.
Great venue, nice bar rider and great food ( altho they said they had to throw £200 of salmon away..at least the drummer
took all the sandwiches home.. :lol:)
Load in was great and we were almost home @0120 (25mins away ) after a midnight shutdown
Considering that was a big 4k p.a, fully mic'd and recorded with snake and every ones big rig...so very good going, I thought.

Gig was good, just going thru the tapes now.
Why am I up now..??

... And the evidence from the night of prog in General Henry's, LA (that's Lil'Ampton to you mate)

Epsilon - Time (Pink Floyd)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxnsC24UR4

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1399317888' post='2443118']
Would still like to see Epsilon sometime, ever get beyond Watford gap? ;)
[/quote]Would love to mate. LA on Saturday was the first time we've played more than 5 miles outside Horsham since I joined :huh: Would have been nice to have a few more bodies in the venue, but it wasn't too bad & response was generally favourable. Good thing is the chap who is there for most every gig & does photos & multicam vids. His pics are really good and the vids aren't too bad either

How was my gig last night?

Different! I am generally playing in social clubs and village halls these days, but last night I depped on guitar with a rock/pop covers band for a moving-in party at the bottom of someone's garden. That's my rig to the right. Note the complete lack of any shelter - just as well it stayed dry!

The first set went pretty well in the nice warm sunshine, but it got quite chilly in the second set. I was glad of my hoodie and beanie! We finished, did a 3-song encore, but there was no way that the 100 pi$$ed-up guests were going to let us go, so we had to recycle a few numbers, and I ended up singing a couple while the singer's iPad (with his words) was powered back up!

Not the tightest of gigs but another one notched up.

Interesting - the singer broke both his wrists the afternoon before the gig, so I ended up driving with the trailer full of PA to the venue that he usually takes. I've only driven with a trailer once before and that was about 10 years ago; trying to reverse it up a narrow driveway at about 1am back into the garage where it lives was interesting to say the least, but I was pretty proud of my efforts, I've got thw next 6-8 weeks to get even better at it.

I'm amazed he did the gig, he was on Cocodomal, and used a mic stand, but was in a fair bit of pain by the drive home.

Overall, considering the circumstances, the gig itself went pretty well, had a dep drummer too, who's played with us a couple of times. She's good, but obviously hasn't quite got all the nuances our regular player has, so not quite at full strength.

Played a Battle of the Bands at the Iron Road Rock Bar in Evesham last night (we got thru the first round). Really great venue. Full of bikers which is great as bikers seem to love our style.
Sound was really good FOH but couldn't hear sh*t all on stage. Played thru a little line 6 combo... Really didn't sound great but it did the job.
Bagged another two gigs at the venue in the coming months

Played with my pop covers band at a Royal British Legion in a garrison town. Very few people in attendance, but one bloke in a Sex Pistols T-shirt kept putting punk tracks on the juke box. I was astonished when the Pistols' song 'Bodies' came on - if you've never heard it, have a listen to understand why this was weird to hear in a RBL.

Anyway the gig was a proper tumbleweed job, but the ents secretary liked us and wants us back. And the strained muscle in my right arm didn't adversely affect my guitar playing, though I did have to get the drummer to help me with my guitar amp.

Another wedding gig in a venue I nor the rest of the band had done before.Enormous room with very high ceiling, reverb-a-go-go. As the band leader has an aversion to monitors and we don't mic the kick drum I was struggling to make any connection with the drums all night, guessing the timing or actually leading with my bass instead far too often for my liking. Due to a cancellation last weekend and also missing a gig for a family do I realised it was the thick end of a month since I'd played even one full set never mind two. No wonder my fingers are aching a bit this morning.Just to add to the fun and games it was in an upper floor room of a conference centre and at some time during the evening the kids at the event had managed to break the lift so we humped all the gear out by the stairs at the end of the night. Felt sorry for the DJ, he'd got massive PA and lights to shift after he'd done but we were packed and off by then, they were under instruction to finish midnight prompt and clear the building by 12:30 but as we drove off it didn't look like that was going to happen and the staff were getting into grumpy mode so time to count the cash and get outta Dodge...

First gig with a new band "Cacofonix" (whole band is new) at our local pub. A few nerves but it went really well. Some bits didn't go quite as rehearsed, but we kept going and everyone seemed to have a good time, and the band came away on a high.

Got two more gigs out of it, so must have done something right!

To explain the picture - the gig was outside on the covered patio area.

[attachment=162502:cacofonix.jpg]

And your's truly, apparently in dreamland.

[attachment=162505:Count Bassy.jpg]

Has a moments panic when setting up and plugged in my bass and all I got was a farty sound (never done it before).
Fiddled with various things and then it suddenly came back it while the volume was set at full volume, and made all the band,including myself, jump a mile. Still don't know what the problem was so will have to investigate!

Hopefully this band will last better than the last two I've been in: was sacked from the first because their original bass player moved back into the area, and the second one imploded, both after one gig!!

Edited by Count Bassy

Two gigs last week with the Terrortones.

A bit of a panic with personnel changes, but luckily a guitarist and drummer that we'd worked with before were able to step in at short notice and after 3 quick rehearsals we were all ready.

First gig on Wednesday was a live video webcast. Following the satnav to the location we were getting a little worried when it appeared to be leading us into semi-detached suburbia, but we spied a drive with a security gate and camera on it which lead to a large house through which was a fully appointed recording studio with a huge live room apparently belonging to the drummer from Whitesnake...

Felt a bit strange preforming to just a bunch of technical people, the other bands and a handful of "audience" members invited by the organisers, but we put on a good show for the cameras, and from what the technical people in charge of the video cast were saying, a pretty decent-sized audience all over the world. Probably also our only gig fuelled by caffeine rather than alcohol!

The following night saw us playing a more conventional gig at The Lady Luck in Canterbury. Another fine performance and our temporary members did us proud. Had a small moment of panic when the bass went silent and switching from wireless to cable made no difference. Then I spotted that Mr Venom had trodden on my volume pedal and turned me down by accident.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/10257682_863950520287356_4147683266218166420_n_zps19ac26b8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/10365924_863950453620696_7664418038191382554_n_zps9ee9f0fb.jpg[/IMG]

Got put up for the night by some fans of the band whose house included a hot tub so guess where we were at 2.00 in the morning! Almost like a proper rock band!

Really don't like doing Friday gigs after a long hard week at work and true to form I played like a bag o' shoite last night at a wedding gig. Fortunately the booze had been flowing so we pretty much got away with it, in fact the groom gave us a bit extra over the agreed fee so we could get some drinks in and no grumbles from anyone at the end of the night. We even managed to keep just within limits of volume monitor and didn't trigger a power out. Hard to concentrate with one eye on the monitor and being temporarily blinded by a parcan that had been aimed in my face about 18'' away by our thoughtful vocalist. Another gig tonight so by end of first song last night will be a vague memory at best.

Awkward :(

Outdoor, basically a beer festival. Running order to shot to hell, 5.30 graveyard slot. I was doing it solo, needed two mikes, only one was working. I was doing a non-bass set which was bandoneon, whistle, guitarlele and vocals. The mikes put paid to any singing and it was a situation that really needed my Paddy's night set (Black Velvet Band, Fields of Athenry, Wild Rover etc). Anyway did my allotted 40 minutes and escaped. Some good reaction but not very happy with it.

Edited by oggiesnr

Garage Music with Mik Artistik

Great gig at a friends 60th birthday bash with the set up in a big garage. I filled in on bass with my mates band The Denial Twist, totally unrehearsed
We were then joined by Mik Artistik for about 45 minutes of improvision and merriment with 50 - 60 guests all dancing around the garden.

[attachment=162938:10365878_10152818015068032_4578667364040713310_n.jpg] [attachment=162939:10330510_10152817566898032_8328595946604708410_n.jpg]

Bit of a mixed bag at the Corner House last night - unfortunately I think we lost a lot of our audience to the aftermath of the cup final. A few locals stuck around after the match, but it made for a bit of an empty room. On the other hand, we played a really good set, and what crowd there was seemed to really enjoy it! Proof, I guess, that you can have a good atmosphere even if the venue isn't packed to the rafters.

The other two bands were excellent as well - I heartily recommend checking out Bouquet of Dead Crows (http://bouquetofdeadcrows.bandcamp.com/) and Radar (http://amazingtunes.com/radar1/)

We played at the Racing Rocks festival at the Rockingham Speedway, an outdoor gig and the weather was just beautiful. We played a good set to a really good crowd and then got to enjoy the other bands and the motor racing afterwards. To top it off I wasn't driving so I could sample the splendid selection of beers and ciders. All in all it was a perfect day - one to remember for sure.