Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Our Sat night gig wasn't heaving by the venue's usual standard but considering we'd only played there on NYE I was surprised how many were there. Uneventful, both myself and singer severely under the weather healthwise at moment but show must go on. Some ageing drunk woman continually hassling us to play some Westlife track to 'get them up dancin' despite the fact there were already plenty of people dancing to what we were actually playing. She could barely walk or string a sentence together let alone dance. Ah well, job done and paid and no more Sat nights for a couple of weeks, after the xmas schedule we are all ready for a break. One of my least involved jam sessions today, people kept turning up and wanting to play so we just sorted them out on stage and let them get on with it. Never been paid as much for playing so few notes in my life, perfect when you are full of cold and shagged out from previous night's gig.

Headlined a show at the roadhouse in Birmingham on Saturday. There was supposed to be another band headline but they dropped out with just two days notice. Gig was dead (we expected it this close to Xmas). Played well. Used my new pedal set up which I hadn't taken to practice yet so was a bit risky. But worked out fine

I play in a 5-piece covers band and we were back in the local pub for NYE - having done a sterling job last year we were asked back. As usual we're squeezed in the corner with the drummer in a bay window, and me, next to the front door. Set 1 went very well with our usual crowd and some guests up and dancing fairly early on. During set 2 ( that's the 2245-2345 slot) some "young" things (student types) came in and they were already well-lubricated. They proceeded to a) take over the rather limited dance area b ) effectively drive off the usual crowd c) dance whilst trying to hold a drink and ended up dribbling and sloshing wine and beer over the carpet and more worryingly - over my pedal board d) then started to intrude in my space - I got an elbow in the back as I had started to turn sideways on to protect my limited space e) some lass just came up and strummed my bass whilst I'm playing f) some oik decided to use my cab as a drinks table.

The rest of the band played on and I was disrupted a few times by their antics and nudges. My misses came up and placed a spare shirt over my pedal board to soak up any more spills. Several people tried to speak to them but they were largely so far gone that it was not understood. I struggled to get my mind back in the right place.

In the third set ( 0010 to 0050) I had a few friends come and stand between me and the "crowd". Fortunately, I had regained my composure and had a good third set. My pedals were OK - most of the volume of spillage was on the pub carpet. Thanks to the hardwearing Barefaced finish the drinks placed on the Midget made no lasting impact.

I felt for the usual people who had come expecting a great night and got pushed out and somewhat intimidated by this new crowd. There isn't much room at the best of times. I guess that its a lesson to learn but I'm not sure what could be done to prevent it from recurring.

We had some new songs which went well.

Edited by vsmith1

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1389001101' post='2328498']
I play in a 5-piece covers band and we were back in the local pub for NYE - having done a sterling job last year we were asked back. As usual we're squeezed in the corner with the drummer in a bay window, and me, next to the front door. Set 1 went very well with our usual crowd and some guests up and dancing fairly early on. During set 2 ( that's the 2245-2345 slot) some "young" things (student types) came in and they were already well-lubricated. They proceeded to a) take over the rather limited dance area B) effectively drive off the usual crowd c) dance whilst trying to hold a drink and ended up dribbling and sloshing wine and beer over the carpet and more worryingly - over my pedal board d) then started to intrude in my space - I got an elbow in the back as I had started to turn sideways on to protect my limited space e) some lass just came up and strummed my bass whilst I'm playing f) some oik decided to use my cab as a drinks table.

The rest of the band played on and I was disrupted a few times by their antics and nudges. My misses came up and placed a spare shirt over my pedal board to soak up any more spills. Several people tried to speak to them but they were largely so far gone that it was not understood. I struggled to get my mind back in the right place.

In the third set ( 0010 to 0050) I had a few friends come and stand between me and the "crowd". Fortunately, I had regained my composure and had a good third set. My pedals were OK - most of the volume of spillage was on the pub carpet. Thanks to the hardwearing Barefaced finish the drinks placed on the Midget made no lasting impact.

I felt for the usual people who had come expecting a great night and got pushed out and somewhat intimidated by this new crowd. There isn't much room at the best of times. I guess that its a lesson to learn but I'm not sure what could be done to prevent it from recurring.

We had some new songs which went well.
[/quote]someone put his pint on my cab a few yrs back, i stopped playing, picked it up and downed it in one then handed him back the empty glass followed by a "cheers". Unffortunately he never put anymore on there.

Was at the Classic Grand in Glasgow last night playing with 5 Second Warning as part of the Clutha Benefit weekend... had a cracking time. Some excellent bands on the bill.
It was my first live outing with the band and had a great time.
Unfortunately I had to have words with the soundman... the mic he gave me for backing vocals was out of tune :P
House bass rig is an svt450 with 8x10 so no problem being heard :D

Played with a monstrously good vibes player last night; Lewis Wright from the band Emprical. Also in the gig was Kevin Flanagan, probably the best tenor player in Eastern region (he is from the US/Boston) and Russ Morgan who has played with everyone in the UK and is, himself, more than exceptional. Three great, great players.

And I played like a tit.

Actually, listening back to my Zoom recording of the gig, it wasn't as bad as I thought, but, on the night, I wasn't feeling it at all. My sound was crap, I couldn't get the level right, nothing I did with the amp or the pre-amp seemed to improve anything etc etc.

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1388997707' post='2328458']
Headlined a show at the roadhouse in Birmingham on Saturday. There was supposed to be another band headline but they dropped out with just two days notice. Gig was dead (we expected it this close to Xmas). Played well. Used my new pedal set up which I hadn't taken to practice yet so was a bit risky. But worked out fine
[/quote]

Interesting re: the Roadhouse. We played there before Christmas and experienced the same lack of atmosphere/audience. It's never a bad gig there, just a little unpredictable I've found. Hey ho.

Played on Saturday in The Royal Oak in Ipswich. We may well be the last band to play there as it hut it's doors for the last time yesterday.

First set was good, plenty of people dancing and having a good time, we all played well.

Second set was something else, place was packed, everyone really enjoying themselves but none of those crazy drunk types, just really good happy people (quite a few familiar faces).

It all went a bit mad when it came to encores. We were supposed to stop at 11:30. Them's the rules. We played our "last song" at 11:20, and the crowd want more. So, we played them one more, and they still want more. So we thought "sod it, who's going to complain" and we played two more, and then another two more after that.

During one encore song everyone but the drummer ended up playing from behind the bar, we must have gone back into Wheels of Steel about 5 or 6 times. Steve (lead guitarist) played the entirety of Whole Lotta Rosie on someone's shoulders, while being transported all around the pub. I ran to all corners of the pub during Let There Be Rock. It all got a bit stupid but was fantastic fun.

What turned out to be my last house band appearance at the jam session yesterday. Haven't been sacked as such, landlord told by his boss that they couldn't afford to keep paying the house band. Shame, it was still popular. The previous landlord and landlady never seemed to have any problems but then the pub was busier then anyway. I think it's more of a reflection of how poorly it's being managed generally these days but that's not the house band's fault. Some of the regulars are talking about trying to keep it going by just turning up with their own gear and having a go. I've seen other jam nights done like this but they seldome last very long. I'll call in from time to time but I'm beginning to think it may be the beginning of the end for the pub which would be a real shame, it's the main music venue in the immediate area.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1390215380' post='2342588']
What turned out to be my last house band appearance at the jam session yesterday. Haven't been sacked as such, landlord told by his boss that they couldn't afford to keep paying the house band. Shame, it was still popular. The previous landlord and landlady never seemed to have any problems but then the pub was busier then anyway. I think it's more of a reflection of how poorly it's being managed generally these days but that's not the house band's fault. Some of the regulars are talking about trying to keep it going by just turning up with their own gear and having a go. I've seen other jam nights done like this but they seldome last very long. I'll call in from time to time but I'm beginning to think it may be the beginning of the end for the pub which would be a real shame, it's the main music venue in the immediate area.
[/quote]

It's a real shame about this. Kev's jam sessions were such fun, and worked properly precisely because there was a house band to hold it all together. It was great to be able to turn up on your own and know there would be someone you could play with. Fair play to the regulars for trying to carry on regardless, but I suspect it might all end up in a bit of a shambles. :(

Did a 50th birthday party with an 80s fancy dress theme, which is handy as we're an 80s covers band. Punters up and dancing from the first number to the last, marvellous. It was our first gig for a bit and I was certainly a bit rusty, especially on the songs I have to play and sing at the same time, but because the audience were so up for it I didn't get as down on myself as usual. Loved it!

Edited by ezbass

Back Before Breakfast at the King Arthur , Glastonbury.
We got there to find that they wanted to cram a five piece band into the tiniest area possible. in an isolated strip opposite the ladies loos.. After re-arranging speakers etc we managed to set up. We were still waiting for one of us to arrive when we heard a commotion, someone had apparently spilled a drink over a drunk and obnoxious woman who proceeded to shout and swear despite attempts by her friends to calm her down.
Our missing member arrived we jokingly asked if the disturbance was down to him "yes" he said. As he came in carrying an amp someone backed into him , he stepped back and nudged a table spilling a drink. - off to a great start.
First set , not many people there , we play original songs , bar staff and the few punters I can see seem to be enjoying it. but the response is subdued At this point I'm still thinking "just get it over with and go home"
After a short break we resume. The pub is now full, from the first song the response is much more encouraging. Set two had a couple of new songs in that went perfectly and the audience (and most importantly the landlord) were getting very enthusiastic.
By the end it was an absolute delight. We've been owed a real belter of a gig for a while now and we've been asked back.

My bunch just played The Jolly a Farmers in Purley, it went rather well, good sound, good crowd, lots of compliments :) Still finding my way with the new Ibanez SR1605 tone wise, but the Gary Willis was a pleasure to play and listen to (for me anyway) as always.

Played George ii in Luton last night. Our second gig and went really well. Crowd got into it which is always good and got some great compliments from random punters which is always nice!

I was pretty ambitious taking my rig on a train but managed it (just!). Big twin 2 Ashdown abm pedal board and Bass. On a trolley and hard work, but all good. Probably wouldn't do it again in a hurry though!!

Next stop metal 2 the masses tonight in Camden!

I haven't been to the George II for years, used to be a regular place for me to play in and watch other bands. Glad to hear it's still going strong. Close enough to the train station so you didn't have to lug your gear too far.

Two gigs this weekend with Dick Venom & The Terrortones.

First up our regular bi-monthly slot as the opening act for Dick Venom Presents… at the Jam Café in Nottingham.

Our first gig of the year and the place was pretty much as full as it can get. Tried out a couple of new songs which went down well.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/ScreenShot2014-01-26at190044_zps2a621cfb.png[/IMG]

The Franceens who were the main attraction of the evening delivered a blinding set as well - well worth catching live if 60s flavoured garage punk rock is your thing.

Then on the SAturday we were in Derby at the Sitwell Tavern. A smaller a more muted audience than the nigh before but still appreciative - especially in view of the number of T-shirts and singles we sold afterwards.

All in all a good start to the new year.

Decent numbers out last night at Plainsman in Mapperly, more than I'd expect for this time in January when budgets start getting a bit tight. Got a bit hairy in second set when the fine line between 'band space' and 'punter space' was getting a bit too blurred for comfort at times but we got through it relatively unscathed. Tried a new song I was unsure would work for our set, I wasn't wrong. Can't see it lasting too many more gigs but that's the luxury of doing covers, there's a whole slew of stuff out there to draw on instead.

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][size=1]Had a great time at our gig last night at the Jazz Cafe in London[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][size=1]Here are a couple of clips that have already been posted on You Tube. [/size][/font][/color]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvWzBbyiVe8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvWzBbyiVe8[/url][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][size=1] [/size][/font][/color]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkT2s8GMYmA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkT2s8GMYmA[/url]

Jazzyvee

My band are part of a collective of like minded bands of progressive/metal types. It means we can bring similar bands to our gigs and not rely on some promoter putting us on with some acoustic act or an 80's cover band.

Unfortunately the 2 bands before us last night were playing some weird noise (i think it's called sludge) and most folk left the room.
Thankfully they filtered beck in when we started. Not a bad night at Teviot Underground Edinburgh.....and I didn't feck up once!!

We managed to survive a gig in Cornwall's (allegedly) roughest pub, The Swordfish in Newlyn. Having heard of it's reputation, there was an element of trepidation, but the fact of it was that we had a really enjoyable and well-received gig. They seem to love their rock and roll. As a bonus, I was able to give my newly-acquired Geddy Lee jazz bass, and my new Genz combo a chance to stretch their legs. Good stuff! :)