Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Not too bad. Last one in the diary for that band to this year unless something else turns up :(
Used the TC BH250 with the Super12T again and it sounded really nice where I was. not so clear on the recording by the recorder but that was probably set to high in the air.
A couple of deps, a prog gig and some recording to come. Need to find something else to do

Edited by WalMan

Another wedding last night, seem to be spate of them recently went OK I guess, not as much fun as last weekend's but hey-ho. They had built a stage for us and everything. We had to spend some money on PLI or the gig would have been in jeopardy. Of course the wedding planner who kicked up the fuss about it wasn't there to check the paperwork on the night anyway! I was telling the thers about James Brown fining guys in his band for duff notes then promptly dropped a clanger during one of our routine numbers. Band leader turned round and told me I owed him $50 :D I told him in the interval I heard the lousy note he hit in the following song so we were even :P only a matter of time before I'm sacked probably...drummer took me to a BBQ after the gig. There is something a bit surreal about grilling steaks at 1am outdoors.
Someone mentioned we were playing again tonight and I'd completely forgotten, it had been mentioned a while back but I didn't know it was a firm booking so looks like I need to reshuffle my Sunday evening. Last gig before I head to the sun for a week so the beer money will come in handy. If anyone wants a laugh we are on in Hucknall tonight at H2O bar, playing from around 9:30

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1377443612' post='2187574']
Another wedding last night, seem to be spate of them recently went OK I guess, not as much fun as last weekend's but hey-ho. They had built a stage for us and everything. We had to spend ysome money on PLI or the gig would have been in jeopardy. Of course the wedding planner who kicked up the fuss about it wasn't there to check the paperwork on the night anyway! I was telling the thers about James Brown fining guys in his band for duff notes then promptly dropped a clanger during one of our routine numbers. Band leader turned round and told me I owed him $50 :D I told him in the interval I heard the lousy note he hit in the following song so we were even :P only a matter of time before I'm sacked probably...drummer took me to a BBQ after the gig. There is something a bit surreal about grilling steaks at 1am outdoors.
Someone mentioned we were playing again tonight and I'd completely forgotten, it had been mentioned a while back but I didn't know it was a firm booking so looks like I need to reshuffle my Sunday evening. Last gig before I head to the sun for a week so the beer money will come in handy. If anyone wants a laugh we are on in Hucknall tonight at H2O bar, playing from around 9:30
[/quote]

Have a great holiday, Kev.
:-)

Played at the Galtres Festival in Helmsley. Dep job with a young indie band - I'm lucky they didn't make me stand at the back with a bag on my head...

Usual comedy with on stage sound and the rig provided. Some very old Peavey beast that looked like fun if I had a few hours to spare... built in fuzz channel??

In typical Tap fasion we were on after the community dance troupe, but it was a good gig with a decent crowd. Plus it was nice to talk to all my mates who were there and had been playing over the weekend. It made a nice change from wedding gigs too...

Last night's: excellent
Night before: predictably dead

The difference appears to have been location. Last night we were in Oxford, providing a bit of peripheral entertainment at a food festival, and an audience appeared to gather and enjoy what we were doing. The night before, we were in London, and played to about five people. Admittedly the London one was just down the road from where a murder had taken place early that morning, which probably put people off. And we met another band who were excellent (seriously, give http://www.stonefacetravellers.com/ a look; some really superb blues-rock), so the evening certainly wasn't wasted. It has pretty much cemented our philosophy that we need to move towards gigging outside of the capital though!

Another Wedding on Saturday, was weird, everything was running late, food arrived late so we didnt want to go on till everyone had eaten. Ended up going on around 11pm and just played 2 hours straight. Stage was great as well as the lights that the dj provided.

Yesterday was a Bank Holi BBQ for a pub, good pay for a pub, and always a lively bunch, however people got arsey when we finished our song as they wanted more. Can never please people.

Got a last minute cancellation gig at a new venue for us who were having a bank holiday hog roast special. Told the landlady we'd do it for our usual fee plus a free hog roast for each band member!
Went down a storm and handed out loads of CDs and cards for wedding and birthday party enquiries.

So: got paid, got fed, got more work, and got our party hats on out in the sun on the bank holiday. I LOVE being in this band :)

not technically last night, but sunday night.

We played the final night of a Harley Davidson weekend in Shipley, Nr Bradford.

There were about 300 bikers there for the long weekend and we closed the event on sunday night.

Big marquee, used the new JBL PRX active system (which was great) and played a mix of covers - from 'Killing Floor' through to 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered, to 'Like a Rolling stone' and 'Starman' - right old mix.

They all loved it, though it got a bit mental when a couple of guys rode their Harleys into the Marquee and around the dancefloor, doing rear wheel burnouts in front of the stage - smoke and fumes everywhere!!
They want us back to do the sat night next year so that'll be interesting!

We had a great gig tonight at the Nottingham Contemporary, the bar/cafe attached to Nottingham's excellent modern art gallery.
It was just us doing two 40 minute sets and a reggae DJ.

Some of the main benefits of playing here are:

- spacious stage with separate drum riser
- good PA with a good sound guy
- they have a huge trolley and service lift meaning all the gear can easily be wheeled straight to the stage in one trip
- decent meal and a crate of ice cold San Miguel
- Decent money (for an originals band)

We were playing on home turf and, compared to last night's gig in Camden, it really showed. A really good turnout, and they were all up for it, with everyone dancing towards the end.

had a nice gig at an italian wine & food distributor in hannover tonight with [url="http://www.ballaro.de/?page_id=41&title=don-quattrone"]"don quattrone"[/url] playing italian schlager. great food and wine for free and the punters loved it. just got back and enjoy a nice 2010 "rosso di montalcino" :D

Edited by krysh

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1377453651' post='2187735']
Had a great gig today. Just got in & on the way to work.

Anyway, here's some pictures :)

[url="https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1554_4573207508607_2067503605_n.jpg"][/url]

[/quote]

nice, looks like a lot of fun.

Dep at a new venue in a new town for the band. Went OK but hardly anyone there but WAGs.

Got set up and the PA amp blew a fuse so it was all a bit fraught on the set up - not for me though, bass, lead, amp & cab. 30 second set up. :)

Remembered the words to All Right Now for the first time :o but I felt my vox were a bit off at times. MrsW reckoned they were fine (but what does she know :lol: )

Get up for the first set and the 'leader' says "Have you played 'How Long' with us before?" Thinks "I've never played it ... ever ... but I've heard it so how hard can it be?" Turns out the answer to that is 'not very' in fact I'd go so far as to say a piece of p155 B)

TC BH250 sounded good and more than adequate for a fair sized room.

Next up ... prog r/h this afternoon, holiday, SEBB the day after I get back & another dep with the same lot as last night that evening. Happy days

Edited by WalMan

Great gig last night, first one with the band up to full strength. Private party in a barn in the middle of nowhere. Managed to perform a new song without cocking it up. Incidentally this is the first song I've ever written, so really pleased with that. Got some folk up and dancing so can't argue with that, good audience reaction. Happy to get gig #1 out of the way, it's full steam ahead now :)

Good performance by us to a small but appreciative audience at Firebug in Leicester last night.

Excellent stage sound from the tech. Nice people in the other bands.

Second to last gig before I go to New Zealand for a year so mixed emotions. Really going to miss this band.

The first gig for a while as we tend to have august off.
A party at a camp site where our 'stage' was an open fronted shed :blink:
it was in deepest Denbighshire and was a touch nippy , I was amazed at the way the guitarists coped with frozen fingers :o
It was also bizarre in that the party goers were arranged around the perimeter of the field gathered around burning fire baskets to keep warm . they all seemed to enjoy it although you could barely see the peeps never mind hear any clapping .
The host kept asking for songs we hadn't played for ages despite agreeing a setlist prior to the show , however as I drove, the others had had a couple of beers and were thus tempted to have a go . It was great really seat of your pants stuff , nailing going underground with cold fingers having not played it for months was very pleasing .
the only downside was that some of the smoke from the fires drifted our way and the warbler struggled a bit as he is a touch asthmatic and gulping smoke flavoured oxygen tends to limit his abilities a touch.
A real bullet dodged with the weather too , it was forecast horrible , but held off , it would have been a total disaster with rain .
Still , a great night overall , hogroast ,cake, an early (ish) finish and an invite back as he wants to organise a mini festival based around what we did for them .

Gig was Friday. Not a great start, we were late on due to the football, some people who had come to see a band left the pub as they had no interest in the footy. So we did a 2 setter instead of the normal 3. Things picked up during the first set and by the second set the dance floor was full and I had a lovely view of totty boogying away in front of me.

Dep gig for a wedding last night. We were (/I was) foolish enough to not fill up the van with diesel before we hit the motorway... Then kept thinking "we'll see a station soon on our way through this town..." but then found ourselves going down miles of country roads and got to the gig. We decided to set up at the venue and then go to find fuel during the break before our performance.

Headed out to the closest petrol station our Satnav was recommending (4 miles away) - as we were leaving the venue the van displayed "0 miles left"... The station we were heading for turned out to have been closed for years (sounds like the start of a horror film!) But we found a local man out walking his dogs and he says the closest one is 8 miles away. Most nailbiting 8 miles I have ever driven... But we made it!

But obviously we hadn't expected to drive so far in our break, so we had another scary drive back to make it to the gig for the first dance which was at 8:30... We pulled up at 7:28, ran in, grabbed instruments and played the first set!

I quite enjoy high-pressure gigs so the show was a blast for me. The crowd were 100% up for a party and we had a full dance floor all night - great to have weddings like this!

A couple of the guests were absolutely trollied by the end and I am guilty of standing by watching while a guy fall over every 3 steps outside the marquee. The field was not really lit in any way and had a lot of ditches and plant pots to fall over. I bet that guy is more than a little sore today...

Good gig last night - played for a local motorbike club outside in an open - fronted marquee, with burger stall, bar and bonfire going in front of us. Weatherman got it wrong - weather was perfect! We also managed to play a new song without trainwrecking it, and even got dancers up! Had to stay sober as was driving home afterwards, but the rest of the band stayed over to help empty the bar, and I've not heard from them today.......:D

Weird. We're a four piece down to a duo last night as one of our guitarists is in India and the drummer is in Cornwall, so I half jokingly said myself and our singer/guitarist should do it as a two piece. After a hastily rearranged setlist and a blast through it on Friday night, we knocked out a reasonably decent set last night in front of a British Legion crowd with an average age of about 65.... They danced, clapped and smiled so it couldn't have been too bad. Quite scary when you're used to having two electric guitars and a drum kit to hide behind though. :)