Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='WalMan' post='1126489' date='Feb 13 2011, 09:59 PM']Friday at Cheers.OK & a reasonable crowd who were into it, which was nice.

Bizarre moment of the night though, the power tripped on the last crash of the last song of the second set :)[/quote]

Whenever we do a wedding that has a meter we try and trip it at that point (assuming its the last song of the night, with no DJ ect after us). It helps clear the dance floor and gives us an excuse not to play any encores.

Ive only had two gigs this year, im really missing them. Sat night are bloody boring. Still, we now have a run of 7 gigs in a row so thats something to look forward to.

A bit OT but has anyone played the Ballroom at the Waldorf Hotel in London? Im trying to gauge what size PA to bring as there are 330 guests so i think we will need to hire something in.

did our first wedding on saturday, Dean Park Hotel in Kirkaldy. It went very well.
Bride and groom seen us play plenty times, so they knew what they were getting. We tried to make our sets a little mellower than usual, leaving out some of the punkier and rockier numbers. In hindsight, that was a bit of a mistake IMO, as people were dancing to some of the uptempo numbers, and london calling, i fought the law or new rose would have gone down really well. Lesson learned for next time.

I also played with the all TC rig, and I was extremely happy with it. T40 + RH450 + RS212 is not just a bunch of numbers, it works!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1126739' date='Feb 14 2011, 09:57 AM']A bit OT but has anyone played the Ballroom at the Waldorf Hotel in London? Im trying to gauge what size PA to bring as there are 330 guests so i think we will need to hire something in.[/quote]

Hi

Yep play there a lot. As long as you cover the dance area you are ok. We are using a K-array Redline 200 systems for this (about 4k)

[quote name='crez5150' post='1126752' date='Feb 14 2011, 10:07 AM']Hi

Yep play there a lot. As long as you cover the dance area you are ok. We are using a K-array Redline 200 systems for this (about 4k)[/quote]

Thanks Crez.

We have played to around 400 with just our small PA and, like you say, its really just to cover the dance floor, but we would really be pushing it and the quality would be pretty poor.

Its not until Dec anyway so we have plenty of time to sort something out.

Had two ceilidhs on successive nights, one a charity gig for endometriosis, the other a 65th birthday. Gave me a chance to play with the newly purchased Behringer power amp (which is replacing the exploded Behringer mixer amp). Loud enough for a big room with the gain set to 1, so I don't think I'll be turning it to 11 any time soon. Plenty of dancers at the charity one, rather less at the 65th party, but everybody had a good time anyway (including us).

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1126739' date='Feb 14 2011, 09:57 AM']Whenever we do a wedding that has a meter we try and trip it at that point (assuming its the last song of the night, with no DJ ect after us). It helps clear the dance floor and gives us an excuse not to play any encores.

Ive only had two gigs this year, im really missing them. Sat night are bloody boring. Still, we now have a run of 7 gigs in a row so thats something to look forward to.[/quote]
Wasn't a level meter, all the mains in the pub went out and had to be reset :) Obviously didn't have a big enough nail in replacing the fuse.

Power came back, but not to the "stage", and as it's a strict 11 finish by the time it did come back it was too late. Cue our vocalist apologising for the fact that 50p could not be found for the meter, so I'm afraid that's it from us.

Went back Saturday to pick up a bag I had left and they were still talking about how spooky it was that it went when it did

I had an awesome couple of gigs this week! I performed with Phill Niblock, a drone composer based in New York. He was visiting my uni on Wednesday, and performed with some students and staff (a few staff members know him personally), and then again last night in Café Oto in Dalston. Had an awesome time both nights; his compositions are really interesting, and really need to be experienced in a live setting. The huge warehouse room at uni sounded completely different to Café Oto. I loved it and got to meet the guy; he's the nicest guy you could meet!

Still buzzing from it, properly great few days ^_^

Had an ace gig last night in The Globe even though we had to cut our set short to 30mins as the band before us were amazing and the crowd wouldn't let them finish!

Same again tonight please!

EDIT: The support band were The Cougar - check them out! And they were really cool guys and had a good bass geek chat with their bass player afterwards.

Edited by chaypup

Two gigs since I was last on Basschat; Thursday night was London at The Troubadour. I thought we played well & were certainly well recieved. The soundman seemed to struggle with my sound during soundcheck but thankfully we got it sorted for the gig. The bass player from the support band was good and a nice chap too.

Tonight was an acoustic gig in our home town. We supported Bristol's Howling Lord and again the bass player was good / a nice guy. Great sound from his JV Squier and Mark Bass rig. I was on my upright tonight and I was looking forward to the show. We played well but there were a couple of people talking which was mildly irratating. Still not enough to spoil a good couple of shows.

We (Gregg Price and the Wilson 5) were ace last night! Well, apart from the drummer forgetting the intro's to most of the songs. Crowd were a bit hard to get going as we were on 1st and it was an engagement party, but we got them up after a bit.

Best bit - The segue from Nouvelle Vague's version of Ever Fallen in Love in to the original and seeing athe old folks faces when they realised they couldn't leave the dance floor and had to carry on! Good work chaps! :)

Friday night was 1812 cocktail bar and we served up a soul and funk stew for the evening. Guest vocalist did a song with our vocalist and was very cool.

Tonight was out to the country in Lymington and did a bluesier set.

Gigged my (new to me) Jazz Bass for the first time and have been impressed so far.

Edited by BottomE

Yesterday night I played a gig with my bands old drummer because the new drummer couldn't make it. Although I really like the guy I hate his drumming style (Mitch Mitchell on speed). Every time he does a random extended drum fill he completely loses the beat and I've got to try and keep the rhythm going on my own somehow. What makes matters worse another random drummer came up and blethered on about how fantastic he was. I kept my mouth firmly zipped!

But our new drummer is back playing with us on Friday..............I'll be so glad to see him I may just give him a big sloppy kiss!

Edited by gjones

Fabulous gig last night, with nearly 200 people who danced right from the beginning. We billed it as a "winter warmer" for friends, family etc, to try out a load of new songs, all of which went down really well (with no mistakes I could hear!). The guy behind the bar said our version of Soul Man, his favourite song, was spot on, which was nice.

The only downer as such, was that our singer persuaded us to do a version of "Deal or no deal" in one of the breaks, which I have to say went down unbelievably well, and we funded the prize ourselves. He assured us that the odds were that we would end up paying a 50p prize or something like that, but the lady who won (who was over the moon!) got the full whack of £50, which cut the profit back a chunk. Problem is, everybody assumed it was a fix so she got the lot, but I saw all the boxes get shuffled so I know it wasnt.....

Back from a cracking gig at Envi in Liverpool.

A big thanks to support band Dead Souls who lets us use their guitar amp, after the local band who we were told would be supplying the backline pulled out at the last moment.

Also because of this the turn out was a little down. However those that were there were really getting into it. I do have to say that the Liverpool audience seems so much more appreciative of little-known bands then our local crowd back in Nottingham. We had a load of people in the audience who'd caught our Liverpool gig last year and were back for more with their friends. Lost count of the number of people coming up to us afterwards to say how much they'd enjoyed the gig. Gave out loads of badges and other freebies. That makes the journey to and back to Nottingham all the more worthwhile.

The promoter really liked it too so we'll almost definitely be back later in the year.

Good fun last night at the Vic Bikers' Pub, Coalville. Seems some other BCers have been there too - I spotted a Dressed to Kill poster on the wall.

Slightly odd setup, with us on the 'main stage' and two other bands on the 'small stage' and a very fulstered soundguy.
The first band, Federal Black 40 were especially good - both visually and musically - I can see them going places.

Probably the youngest crowd we've played, and they seemed a bit bemused at first, but soon got into it - full singalongs and dancing towards the end. Great.

Cracker last night in a large cocktail bar/club. Queue at the door all night and dancing from almost word go. Capped by two encores (could of done more) and sold a hat full of CDs. Also dished out a lot of business cards. Excellent indeed and one very happy band (and club owner).

As an aside i used a StingRay at this gig where previously i had used a Jazz bass and the EQ on the amp has to be so different in the same venue. The StingRay is way too aggressive when on full with the on board EQ so had to turn bass down on amp and onboard. The jazz bass is much easier to blend in the overall mix

Played a Jazz last night for the first time, (well a VM Squier), and was surprised at the sound :) After playing a P Bass for umpteen years it was So different from the sound i used to get.
Lovely deep bass for the reggae and middley/toppy sounds for the rock stuff, and a really different feel of the neck, very fast, had to stop over shooting my target notes!
I,m looking forward to playing again next week :)

Edited by Hobbayne

We had our first ever heckler at last night's gig. A man on crutches complaining about our material. It concerned me slightly, until I overheard him afterwards telling someone that he was off to a rave, and would then be getting on a plane to 'Libyeria' to go rescue some people...
:)

Played in a large irish pub in edinburgh last night, 2x1hour+ sets and then some.
No time to sound check, we had to show up at 9, set up and go at 10, including plugging everything into FOH speakers. No designated sound engineer either...
Needless to say, spent the first half of the first set tweaking volume levels and the like, but overall a good gig. Everybody jumped and danced all night, the manager praised our mix of new and old, and we'll discuss next date on monday.

On the minus side, we'll have to learn a couple of oirish classics, but there's worse things to do for a gig :)

Played my default setup of T40 + TC small rig. Excellent, as usual. If we get a more regular slot, i'll try other combinations.
You really can't tell how good something is until you put it through its paces in a gigging situation...

Edited by razze06