Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I went to a friend's 40th last night. She wanted to sing a couple of tunes & have her husband play guitar. As he can't play & she can't sing I was brought in as a ringer to sort of up the musicianship. Thankfully it was a very supportive crowd & I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. That said, I wouldn't want to see it on YouTube anytime soon.

Had a bit of a tester last night (we have only played on our home turf to what is basically our mates so far) But last night was a bikers rally where only a couple of them had seen us before. We weren't really sure what a bunch of bikers would make of us in full glam-rock attire, but we went down pretty well and had a few very positive comments, and didn't get anything thrown over us!

My new rig also sounded great and kept up with our manic drummer and 2 guitarists 200w stacks pretty well too.

Had my first gig of the new year (and only my third ever!!!) at The Springhead in Hull (or as I have been corrected by a resident, East Riding) on Friday. I personally thought it was the best we've played, though we've still got some polishing to do to get it better.

But for a new band we got a reasonable crowd in who all seemed to be enjoying it, including a former drummer of the band.

The up side of it was in the break between sets the guy who does the bookings offered us two more gigs there later in the year. Result!!

Edited by w...

Friday - second gig for the rock covers band (it was going to be pop/rock but it looks as if the only concession to pop that still remains, "Billie Jean", has its days numbered). Guitarist had managed to convince a few people to come so we played to a full room. First set went well, second set got them dancing (mainly attractive young ladies, definitely a step up from when I was doing the working men's clubs). A couple of fluffs which we overcame, no train wrecks. And the gaffer told me they'd have us back when I left, so that's good news.

I learned bass in order to play in a band with a group of friends, so I have performed with them most of my playing life ( 4 years )

Last night I played with somebody else for the first time, standing in for a colleague in a rock covers band. Interesting experience, hard work learning a bunch of new songs but good fun.

Also played with a pick for the first time in public. They play a couple of punk numbers and in rehearsal I gave it a go and it just felt right. Nice to have the tonal variety it gives.

Not bad really considering I got the call to stand in Friday afternoon and I played with them once before on a "starts & finishes" run through of the set that time back last summer. Largely the same set(s) but a couple of new ones I'd not done before. Nothing that difficult and a nice workout.

Took the full rig as it was just the amp doing the work, no PA DI tonight, and it was sounding pretty good.

The damn power block fell off the "stage" and my sound went completely but got that plugged back & running reasonably quickly...shame it was on Emerald!

The Alex Hotel in Harrogate on Thursday night and it was a cracking gig with a very lively group of ladies who had seen us the week before attending.

Last night was Netherton Con Club and a little quieter but still good. Mine and the guitarist's partners were in attendance and sank a shandy or two between them but its so much better when she comes with me and has someone to chat to rather than sitting alone part of the night.

Tonight we are at the Boot and Shoe at Ackworth with built in PA and lights so a quick drive from work, throw down down my cab and off we go

Been working all weekend so looking forward to an early finish and bed tonight :)

A very wet and windy drive to the Brewery Tap in Idle, Bradford last night but we had a good sized and very appreciative crowd.

Must admit we do seem to be playing pretty tight at the moment and sticking in a rocked up version of Sound of the Underground was an inspiration as it is going down brilliantly

Monteys Rock Cafe in Harrogate tonight with my girlfriend, two of her friends and our guitarists wife attending so should be a very lively night :)

Last nights was pretty sh*te. There was about 15 people there, if that. Last saturday though, we got a good strong crowd of about 200, absolutely phenomenal, probably because it was free and all our mates live around that area. Surprisingly wasnt all teenagers either, plenty of older people in aswell.

Liam

We had our first gig of the year on friday night, headlining out of 3 acts.
Played for an hour, musically really tight, singer was a bit wobbly an a couple of occassions though.
It was held in an ex-servicemans club, a right mix of ages and we seemed to go down pretty well. Prob over 100 there I would guesstimate.
The likes of Free and Blondie always go down well for the more mature crowd and the younger ones always like Pink and Katy Perry (a bit rocked up of course)!!
The gig blew away our cobwebs as it was first gig since boxing day, and sets us up for the next 2 before february is out.

Only our second gig of the year..due to unforeseen circs so we hadn't played for 5 weeks.
We played well.... and had a very strong turn-out of local musos who all stayed the duration.
That is a good sign and we had a nice chat with quite a few afterwards.

I also think that this was some sort of turning point for the venue as there was quite a few people in the pub that would otherwise not be there. so the landlord's hardwork is starting to pay off.

It is nice when a venue comes together. I was all for binning it but now I think it can reaslise its potential.

So, yes..all things considered, pretty pleased so this will fire us up for the summer season

Played at The Grand in Ashington last night (King for a day), was great, probably our best performance to date. Was busy and crowd were really enthusiastic. Some really nice comments from people afterwards, makes it all worthwhile. Even the 2 Black Country Communion tracks we do went down well, good considering not as well known as a lot of the other covers we play. 2 encores and still they were shouting for more! Good times! :)

First one back this year after nearly 2 months, so it was good to get it out of my system.

Four hour r/h with the other band in the morning definitely loosened me up for the evening and things seemed to flow - I really should sit down on the morning of Saturday gigs & noondle through some stuff though I suspect unstructured noodling won't have the same effect.

New songs went well and at least one where I am often not happy with what I am doing flowed much better.

Sound guy seemed to be having problems to start off but they sorted themselves out - may have to have the gear talk again as it's expanding again and too many potential gigs are having to be ignored due to the amout of PA. It is a good sound, but there is rather a lot at times.

Good night generally apart from the punter guitard (mentioned elsewhere in the guitard thread) who annoyed me in the break, and then saw nothing wrong in stepping up to a mike on one song in the second set, which was promptly muted

Played at Whittles in Oldham last night - first gig for 4 fookin' months and it was a good'n. Whittles is a rock/metal music venue so they gave us a slot on Thursday night to see if we went down like whaleshit (my band plays folk rock) and we stormed the place. Got a lot of great feedback and a few Shuker droolers too. The only downer was the sound man and his assistant, setting up was like pulling teeth, it took them nearly two hours to get a crap sound but it was getting late so we had to live with it. There wasn't enough channels for my bass so I had no PA assistance but had enough beans in my LM Tube/Epifani UL410 to cope fine. Didn't take kindly to the sound 'assistant' who wasn't as old as some of my underwear telling me to turn my bass down twice - the second time it was..."turn your bass down now please". I don't normally hit girls but she came close (just kidding).

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1123546' date='Feb 11 2011, 08:35 AM']Played at Whittles in Oldham last night - first gig for 4 fookin' months and it was a good'n. Whittles is a rock/metal music venue so they gave us a slot on Thursday night to see if we went down like whaleshit (my band plays folk rock) and we stormed the place. Got a lot of great feedback and a few Shuker droolers too. The only downer was the sound man and his assistant, setting up was like pulling teeth, it took them nearly two hours to get a crap sound but it was getting late so we had to live with it. There wasn't enough channels for my bass so I had no PA assistance but had enough beans in my LM Tube/Epifani UL410 to cope fine. Didn't take kindly to the sound 'assistant' who wasn't as old as some of my underwear telling me to turn my bass down twice - the second time it was..."turn your bass down now please". I don't normally hit girls but she came close (just kidding).[/quote]

We get very good compliments on our sound generally and it has become a bit of a feature as we don't normally use PA support, but the worst sound we have had recently has been when the venues soundman gets to play with his PA.

I mean, what is it with these failed musicians ? :) to be fair one of those PA rigs redeemed themsleves at an outside gig but if you have been round the block a few times, sometimes the soundman's kid gofer takes some patience. :) :lol: