Why become a member? ×

Working out Power Handling

gilmour

I'm looking to upgrade my current Rig - probably to Eden stuff.

I;m quite keen to do it in stages, starting with the head. THe head I'm looking at is an Eden Time Traveller (Power 8/4/2 ohms 250/405/620w)

I currently have an old Trace Elliot 4x10 from the ealry/mid nineties I bought it second hand about 10-12 years ago.

[b]Here's my dilema, it's quite old the plate on the back has faded so much that I can't make out the power handling of the amps. Is there any way that I can work this out?[/b]

Annoyingly even the model numbers etc have faded off completely so I can't even research it in that way.

Also am I right in thinking that provided I don't turn up to loud I won't blow the speakers, even if they aren't powerful enough?

Thanks

Edited by gilmour

Hmm, thanks that sounds about right to me too.

To my understanding that means if it the only speaker cab connected it should be ok as the amp is 250 watts @ 8 ohms. I think - but I've always been a bit confused with this stuff.

Glad you like my avatar, the Hitcher - my favourite Boosh character :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKNpbhUuOMc"]The Hitcher - The Slap Bass President, it used to be Mark King[/url]

Always makes me laugh

[quote name='gilmour' post='83761' date='Nov 4 2007, 06:41 PM']To my understanding that means if it the only speaker cab connected it should be ok as the amp is 250 watts @ 8 ohms. I think - but I've always been a bit confused with this stuff.[/quote]
The power ratings of both amps and speakers is not what matters. If you overpower speakers they will blow, but you'll almost always have warning well short of doing so in the form of distortion. Amps are capable of long term output well above their rated power, and short term surges of at least four times their rated power, but it will be a distorted output. Here again that distortion will tell you that you've gone beyond the bounds. Ignore that warning at your own peril. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='83654' date='Nov 4 2007, 07:35 PM']It will more than likely be a 300w at 8 ohms cab, as most of Traces early ones were like that.[/quote]

Mark V and earlier cabs were only 200w.
[url="http://www.quicksound.co.uk/articles/trace_elliot/images/10-11.jpg"]Mark V brochure[/url]

Edited by Ba55me15ter