Why become a member? ×

Building a 2X10, advice would be appreciated

waynepunkdude

[quote name='Hamster' post='760642' date='Mar 1 2010, 12:42 PM']I wasted a lot of wood and time creating from scratch my own cab builds. Having learnt the lesson I can wholeheartedly recommend Bill's easy to follow plans and proven designs - [url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.info/Jack.html"]http://www.billfitzmaurice.info/Jack.html[/url][/quote]

+1

I've built some cracking stuff to Bills' designs.

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='760498' date='Mar 1 2010, 05:28 AM']Wow, if we all had your encouragement in life, no one would learn anything for them selves or have fun in learning. What a pessimistic post
Go for it, as said, find a cab you like. Measure it and build it. B&Q will even cut the wood if needed. Arm your self with some gorilla glue, and have fun!
Sometimes science is not the important thing. Sense of achievement and pride counts. If it sounds good to you at the end of the day, job WELL done. If not, change something and try that.[/quote]
That's easy advise to give when it's the OPs time, and money, that's being wagered on the result. :)

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='760710' date='Mar 1 2010, 01:31 PM']That's easy advise to give when it's the OPs time, and money, that's being wagered on the result. :)[/quote]

Then why not give some constructive advice instead of taking the usual "no-one else can make loudspeakers" stance?

[quote name='Protium' post='760813' date='Mar 1 2010, 03:15 PM']Then why not give some constructive advice instead of taking the usual "no-one else can make loudspeakers" stance?[/quote]

Don't think Bill has said or implied that in any of his posts :)

Edited by sk8

[quote name='Pentode' post='760675' date='Mar 1 2010, 01:06 PM']+1

I've built some cracking stuff to Bills' designs.[/quote]

another +1, I use two Omni 10.5s that i built myself. When I get the chance, I'm going to be looking at some jack 12s

:)

Wayne, which of your amps are you going to be powering this 2X10 with, and have you got a manufacturers cab as a target sound that you are looking for? Do you want something hi-fi, or more like your Ashdowns? Is it going to be used standalone or with one (or more) of your exisiting cabs?

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='760710' date='Mar 1 2010, 01:31 PM']That's easy advise to give when it's the OPs time, and money, that's being wagered on the result. :)[/quote]
It is easy to say, but I have done just that. Built stuff and failed. Binned the result. Had a beer and started over. I learnt from it and moved on. Sometimes, it isn't all about money.

[quote name='Protium' post='760968' date='Mar 1 2010, 05:24 PM']Post #11, "And that's why you should not consider designing your own cab ..." comes pretty close :rolleyes:[/quote]

Close and noted :)

Edited by sk8

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='760970' date='Mar 1 2010, 05:26 PM']Depends how much of it you have.

S.P.[/quote]
Granted, but, As I looked at it, I was fiddling with bits in my time ( no cost to anyone ) and whilst fiddling, was saving money in not drinking in the pub.
Alot of it was recycled and went on to be great.

I know it is only a cab, but go on, give it a try...
If you make something worthwhile, I will buy you a can of the checker colour spray paint to finish the grille! :)

Just to add a bit of weight to the 'give it a go' camp.....

I had a couple of hours spare this afternoon, so finished building my 1x12.
It has taken me approx. 12 hours so far and is all done except the covering and grille.
Total cost was about £175 and I have enough wood left to build another cab.

I was aiming for something similar to the GS112NT, but with more clarity in the mids and some top end.
If it pans out, I will build another and have a lightweight modular rig.

Having had a quick play through it, I think it will be the business!
(I might need to do some tweaking to the ports, if anyone would like to volunteer some advice. :rolleyes:

...and I haven't even looked at Winisd. (yet). :)

Personally, I think there is a great deal of satisfaction to be had from designing and building stuff, whether it be bass gear, cars, motorcycles or DIY around the house.

[quote name='Protium' post='760813' date='Mar 1 2010, 10:15 AM']Then why not give some constructive advice instead of taking the usual "no-one else can make loudspeakers" stance?[/quote]I did. I sent him to a site that explains in great detail the hows and whys of building speakers, including free plans for cabs that are better than 99% of the commercial cabs made. That's assuming that Alex hasn't yet breached 1% market share. :)

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='761061' date='Mar 1 2010, 07:13 PM']I did. I sent him to a site that explains in great detail the hows and whys of building speakers, including free plans for cabs that are better than 99% of the commercial cabs made. That's assuming that Alex hasn't yet breached 1% market share. :)[/quote]

I would second reading the Greenboy FearFul stuff.... lots of info and tips on there!

[quote name='clauster' post='760914' date='Mar 1 2010, 04:42 PM']:)

Wayne, which of your amps are you going to be powering this 2X10 with, and have you got a manufacturers cab as a target sound that you are looking for? Do you want something hi-fi, or more like your Ashdowns? Is it going to be used standalone or with one (or more) of your exisiting cabs?[/quote]

Going to be the Ampeg for the Irish Folk Punk band, I don't need the 4X10 + 1X15 set up that I usually use.

The 2 things I need is 2X10 and lightweight as I won't have the band to help me, I'm going to paint it green :rolleyes:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='761093' date='Mar 1 2010, 07:40 PM']The 2 things I need is 2X10 and lightweight as I won't have the band to help me, I'm going to paint it green :)[/quote]

Nowadays, lightweight means neodymium. The Celestion BN10-200X looks quite good. It's a neo and costs about £60. I haven't modelled it but it should be happy in an average sized 2 x 10 cab. The Eminence Deltalite 2510 is not bad, but not quite as good as the Celestion and quite a bit more expensive, at least in the UK. If you want a neo 10, the Celestion BN10-200X is your best bet for value. Should you want to pay more, the choice widens :-).

[quote name='stevie' post='761174' date='Mar 1 2010, 08:49 PM']Nowadays, lightweight means neodymium. The Celestion BN10-200X looks quite good. It's a neo and costs about £60. I haven't modelled it but it should be happy in an average sized 2 x 10 cab. The Eminence Deltalite 2510 is not bad, but not quite as good as the Celestion and quite a bit more expensive, at least in the UK. If you want a neo 10, the Celestion BN10-200X is your best bet for value. Should you want to pay more, the choice widens :-).[/quote]

[url="http://professional.celestion.com/bass/green/index.asp"]300x is the neo.[/url]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='761093' date='Mar 1 2010, 07:40 PM']Going to be the Ampeg for the Irish Folk Punk band, I don't need the 4X10 + 1X15 set up that I usually use.

The 2 things I need is 2X10 and lightweight as I won't have the band to help me, I'm going to paint it green :rolleyes:[/quote]

2 10" drivers, a sheet of decent ply, hardware and grills can easily set you back £200 or more (or a lot more). You'll also be wanting a circular saw, jig saw, clamps and possibly a router if you want rounded edges. If you're anything like me you'll be wanting tweezers for splinter removal and a BIIIG box of plasters :) Oh, and plenty of time.

If all you need is 2X10 and lightweight and you need it sooner rather than later, you'll save money and time by getting a used Hartke Transporter 2X10. But you won't get a lot of volume compared to what you're used to (due to power handling) or bass (due to size). Add a little more cash and you might find a used BFM Omni10 - more power handling, great bass, light(ish) but big for a 2X10. Of course, there's a whole range of sizes and performance limits in between.

If your heart is set on building your own 2X10 cab then you might want to get Bill's plans for the Jack210. They're very comprehensive, and there's lots of advice and support available on Bill's forum. It's a popular design that seems to work for a wide variety of styles of music. They look "different" in their natural state but you can put a grill across the front for a more traditional appearance. If you're not used to using a circular saw you might want to budget for a second sheet of ply (you can get all the bits from one sheet, but no extra if you really butcher a panel), and can save a bit of cash by leaving out the tweeters and crossover. There's a few drivers that work in it, but not the ones you've been looking at.

To build a cab, all you need is a saw, jigsaw, glue, drill, drill bits, screws. And a bit of tube. The rest can come later. A sheet of decent 3\4" ply over here costs less then 20. I reckon its worth just for the experience and knowledge youll gain, and youll have all the parts if you decide to rebuild it later.

[quote name='jimmyb625' post='762310' date='Mar 2 2010, 09:52 PM']It looks from that link like the 200 and 300 is Neo, or have I read it wrong?[/quote]

Nah, me reading wrong. the Ns and Ls are the bit that determines neo or not.

All this has me wondering about loading my 8x10 with oldschool 10s for the early 8x10 style not very bassy but very awesome sound. Maybe Celestion Vintage 10 guitar speakers. Anyone know what the equivalent to those old 32ohm drivers in the first 8x10s is?

hello mate im a carpenter and i've built loads of stuff like this before,if you've got common sense your be fine dude once you've worked out your air space building it is easy.couple of things regarding construction.regardless of material make sure you glue every loint (with a good cold wood glue)so when you screw it together you see it squeeze out counter sink all screws.also sharp edges will break out over a short time of use routing them to give them a nice half bull nose shape is easy with a 1/4 inch router as the bit you use has a roller so it guides its self also yoou can run it round your port holes to finish the look.if you havent got this or not feeling that confident ie cutting your fingers off you could also do it with a smooting plane a sharp one !!remember measure twice cut once.

any ofther help you need regarding the construction side of things pm me dude always here to help