Why become a member? ×

Music Ground Manchester

sshorepunk

I know many poeple don't hold Music Ground and the associated business' in high regard, but I thought I would pass on some info regarding the Manchester shop

...it's closed!

Yesterday, they were clearing the stock out!

For those who didn't know the shop, it was run by Napper, a little ginger haired geezer, well known round these parts, having been involved in music retail in manchester for many years!

Tony

Napper's been a mate of mine for many many years, and despite the rep of MG in general being only slightly higher in regard than the Third Reich, he did a sterling job in difficult circumstances.

Not many music shops left in Manchester now...

Muzz

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='759968' date='Feb 28 2010, 06:09 PM']I know many poeple don't hold Music Ground and the associated business' in high regard, but I thought I would pass on some info regarding the Manchester shop

...it's closed!

Yesterday, they were clearing the stock out!

For those who didn't know the shop, it was run by Napper, a little ginger haired geezer, well known round these parts, having been involved in music retail in manchester for many years!

Tony[/quote]

End of an era for that that particular part of town, apart from JR, I used to spend saturday afternoons in the late 70's mooching round the likes of A1, as I'm sure many of Manchesters musicians have done!
Napper has been a good mate for a long time, always called in for a chat, but I know he's gonna be doing other stuff now :-)

Tony

[quote name='jimmyb625' post='760008' date='Feb 28 2010, 06:48 PM']I had a feeling something wasn't quite right. The window display's been run down in the last week, and the guitar repairs have been advertising that they're moving to [b]Johnny Roadhouse[/b].

Shame to see another one go...[/quote]

God help us all, the shop that thought a valid solution for fret buzz on the low frets of every string was to raise all the bridge saddles to the max :)

They [i]were[/i] expensive, didn't they have a stand at bassday, the one opposite the doors into the main theatre? No point in doing a show like that without offering some good deals, and they certainly didn't, it was all top price stuff.

PMT in Salford seems to be ok since taking over Sound Control, better for guitars than basses but not bad. Sounds Great in Heald Green is still the best guitar shop in the NW (and the most expensive), just not a vast stock of basses, but getting better.

A real shame, heard rumbles and rumours as early back as a year ago.
I know the guys all had something to walk into, so it's a little less sad than it could have been.
Napper is a legend and a true gent, all the boys at my shop are gutted to see Music ground go.
Fingers crossed, we'll see them out and about.
Trav x

Just had a mooch, and the shop fitting is still in place, but no gear, apart from the Levys strap stand.
There isn't a note on the door or anything.
Meant to wander up to Johnnys to have a gab, but didn't have much time.

Still, if anybody sees Napper, pass on my regards.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='760501' date='Mar 1 2010, 10:33 AM']Just had a mooch, and the shop fitting is still in place, but no gear, apart from the Levys strap stand.
There isn't a note on the door or anything.
Meant to wander up to Johnnys to have a gab, but didn't have much time.

Still, if anybody sees Napper, pass on my regards.[/quote]
I'll be seeing him tomorrow night, and I shall. I'll let you know what his next venture's all about shortly, too.

M

I was in there last week; they had nothing in worth buying and I was really shocked. I guess this explains it. Napper is indeed a top bloke and I hope he's got something sorted; he probably wouldn't remember me but we've had many a pleasant chat in our time.

Agreed - Napper is a great guy. I often had a chat with him when i popped in to Music Ground at lunchtimes. First met him when he was at The Bass Centre in Castlefield - actually i think it was called something else but had a Bass Centre franchise or something like that. Bought both my GK amps from Napper.

The Major

sign on the window...
"store relocating..."
Phone number begins 0113?

I think the Music Ground Manchester shop's service had left a lot be desired, i've heard mixed stories from my customers.
Personally, i thought it was a new, old school guitar shop.

yeah, i thought i recognised it as Leeds.

A real shame. I hope it boosts Johnny Roadhouse back up.

Anyhow, in fairness to the lads that have now moved on from MG, their boss didn't help them out at all, probably why they came across the way they did.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='760080' date='Feb 28 2010, 07:42 PM']A demonstration if one were needed of how hard it is to sell guitars of questionable provenance for ten times the amount they're actually worth.

Hope Leeds is next.[/quote]

+1000. The Leeds shop is on a par with Denmark Street. Never went to the Manchester shop but I would be frankly astonished if it was any better - being part of the same evil empire.