Why become a member? ×

Trying to get a precision sound out of my rig - Please help!

crumpet_tramp

You're unlikely to nail that sound with the Bartolinis, I suspect.

Best you could do would be to add a little bass and cut a bit of treble (onboard EQ), use only the front pickup, play over the pickup, and ideally strap on some tapewound strings.

I'd forget the Behringer/Digitech...

Get a precision :)

But seriously a precision only has 1 pup so using the neck pickup alone is gonna be a good place to start. Most modern basses are brighter than precisions so bit more bottom and bit less top. Keep adding bottom and taking off top until you get it right or run out of EQ - in which case revert to plan a above.

Can you turn off the EQ + pre amp in the Ibanez?

If so turn it off, plug your lead into the passive input on your amp and select the front (neck) pup only. Wind it full on. Take your tone controls (on the bass) to mid point.

Roll the gain on your amp to about mid-way, and then just add low end boost on the amp with a very neutral high and v.slighty boosted mid unitl it sounds warm and fuzzy....

Thats how I get my active P (with j bridge as well) to sound like that trad P sound.....

Hope it works for you!

I recommend buying a Precision, a Squier would be ok, I got mine for £100, 1995 model + a £40 gig bag thrown in.
New bone nut, EMG's, new Gotoh bridge, stoned the frets myself and set it up with DR strings, £230 all in and a brilliant precision was born.
Sounds the biz, Stranglers, Pink Floyd, Bruce Thomas, Mr Jamerson, its all there. :)

[quote name='crumpet_tramp' post='83879' date='Nov 5 2007, 10:30 AM']I have got one!

the neck is sh*te though, i want to use the ibanez s its in better nick

however i have got a vintage one. (Bit of a bitsa though!)

I'l post a picture When i get home[/quote]

'vintage' as in the manufacturers of that name or vintage as in it's old :|????? If it's a relic bass then I'm sure plenty on the forum will be glad to have a look.