Why become a member? ×

I like this one....

walplayer

I sold something on eBay recently and was contacted by an eBay user about 15 mins after the bidding ended and was offered more to sell it to him. It sold for £40 but I was offered £75 to cancel the transaction and sell it to the other guy. I refused to do this and said that it would be massively unfair and I wouldn't do it on principle. Does this make me a mug or a good person? :wacko:

[quote name='Dubs' post='779723' date='Mar 19 2010, 01:16 PM']I sold something on eBay recently and was contacted by an eBay user about 15 mins after the bidding ended and was offered more to sell it to him. It sold for £40 but I was offered £75 to cancel the transaction and sell it to the other guy. I refused to do this and said that it would be massively unfair and I wouldn't do it on principle. Does this make me a mug or a good person? :wacko:[/quote]

It makes you a good person. Congratulations on being a decent human being. Of course, that might mean more if I had chosen a different username, but I'll say it all the same.

Thank you for writing to eBay. I am so sorry to hear that you are having
an inconvenience with (item number 260559500849) which is a hard case
you purchased from seller "eugeneoregan".

Upon reviewing the details of your concern, I strongly suggest that you
contact your seller regarding the issue because basically it is your
seller's discretion whether to sell the item or not.
Since you re paid for the item yesterday you cannot open a case until 3
days after the estimated delivery date (if available) or 7 days after
you paid for the item (if no estimated
delivery date was provided).

Here's how to request the seller's phone number:

1. Click 'Advanced search' at the top of the eBay homepage.
2. Click 'Find contact information'.
3. Enter the item number - you'll find it in My eBay.
4. Click 'Search'.

We'll then send you an automatic email with the seller's contact
details. Please be aware that at the same time, we'll send the seller
your contact details. We feel it maintains trust and fairness on eBay if
members are aware that another member has asked for their contact
information.

Kind regards,

Sean Boyd
eBay Customer Support

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='780561' date='Mar 20 2010, 10:16 AM']Thank you for writing to eBay. I am so sorry to hear that you are having
an inconvenience with (item number 260559500849) which is a hard case
you purchased from seller "eugeneoregan".

Upon reviewing the details of your concern, I strongly suggest that you
contact your seller regarding the issue because basically it is your
seller's discretion whether to sell the item or not.
Since you re paid for the item yesterday you cannot open a case until 3
days after the estimated delivery date (if available) or 7 days after
you paid for the item (if no estimated
delivery date was provided).

Here's how to request the seller's phone number:

1. Click 'Advanced search' at the top of the eBay homepage.
2. Click 'Find contact information'.
3. Enter the item number - you'll find it in My eBay.
4. Click 'Search'.

We'll then send you an automatic email with the seller's contact
details. Please be aware that at the same time, we'll send the seller
your contact details. We feel it maintains trust and fairness on eBay if
members are aware that another member has asked for their contact
information.

Kind regards,

Sean Boyd
eBay Customer Support
_______________________[/quote]

WTF! :)

A 'Hard Case'... not a bass then?

"... basically it is your seller's discretion whether to sell the item or not." So what happened to legal and binding contract?

eBay are seriously shyte! :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='780571' date='Mar 20 2010, 10:20 AM']WTF! :)

A 'Hard Case'... not a bass then?

"... basically it is your seller's discretion whether to sell the item or not." So what happened to legal and binding contract?

eBay are seriously shyte! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I thought that but then realised they meant it's a hard case to solve.

That's the exact question I've just asked them.

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='780573' date='Mar 20 2010, 10:23 AM']I thought that but then realised they meant it's a hard case to solve.[/quote]

No matter how many times I've read that statement from eBay I only ever interpret it as you have 'bought a hard case'; can't seem to get your slant/take on it being a hard case to solve! :rolleyes:

It's blindingly obvious the guy didn't get the price he wanted so is refusing to sell and it 'should' be that eBay enforce some major sanction if he doesn't. I'm selling some bike gear (leathers, tank bags etc.) on eBay and I have to confess that I'm bricking it as I have no reserve but I WILL sell to the highest bidder no matter if it hurts me. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='780603' date='Mar 20 2010, 10:49 AM']No matter how many times I've read that statement from eBay I only ever interpret it as you have 'bought a hard case'; can't seem to get your slant/take on it being a hard case to solve! :rolleyes:

It's blindingly obvious the guy didn't get the price he wanted so is refusing to sell and it 'should' be that eBay enforce some major sanction if he doesn't. I'm selling some bike gear (leathers, tank bags etc.) on eBay and I have to confess that I'm bricking it as I have no reserve but I WILL sell to the highest bidder no matter if it hurts me. :)[/quote]

Hmm reading it again I make you right.

Nah I think your initial conclusion is right Wayne. I thought the same to start with too but realised it's just poor misuse of English.

I've recently had some contact with ebay over a dispute and all the follow up emails have contained appalling English and grammar.

Probably makes perfect sense in the Bombay support centre it originated from. :)

In my opinion, this email is utter bullshit. Sellers do not have discretion as to whether to sell the item once a auction has been won, except in a small numer of well defined circumstances. Which don't apply in this case. I quote from the Ebay user agreement itself:

[url="http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/seller-rules-overview.html"]http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/sell...s-overview.html[/url]

[quote]In addition to the above rules, here are some additional policy breaches not permitted on eBay:
Seller non-performance - Sellers must honour the transaction contract. Sellers cannot fail to deliver an item for which payment was accepted, significantly misrepresent an item by not meeting the terms and item description outlined in the listing, or refuse to accept payment for an item at the end of a successful sale.[/quote]

Personally I believe that ebay are just trying to fob you off. If I were you (I'm sure you're big and hairy enough to make your own decisions), I would reply to the email, pointing out that the advice appears to conflict with their sellers' user agreement, and ask them to explain the discrepancy. I'd also continue filing for seller non-performance. I'd keep a record of all communications, and if they continue to fob you off and take no action, then I'd make an official complaint to ebay at them not following their own policies. And after that was unsuccessful (spot the cynic), complain to Watchdog. They don't follow up every complaint of course, but if they've had a block of matching complaints, then they might do a segment about it.

If you decide to sue for loss of bargain, then I'd be prepared to chip in a tenner towards the costs. If a few more people would pledge money, then the cost of the small claims court case could be spread around. However, I believe (I'm no lawyer) that for there to be a loss of bargain, you'd have to have purchased a like and similar bass, at a higher price. Otherwise I believe that a judge may conclude that you didn't really want the bass anyhow, and hence have suffered no loss. And there's also the problem of whether or not the judge will conclude that a contact is made when an auction is won. Ebay's policies say that a contract has been formed, but they don't make the law.

Wayne, I entirely agree with the disappointment/outrage expressed by others above, BUT you're on a hiding to nothing with this one IMHO.

You bid on the bass as a joke before anyone even knew what it was, so you'll have a hard time persuading anyone that this was the bass of your dreams, and the vendor has nothing at all to lose ... single-figure feedback, he'll just walk away and set up another eBay User ID.

If you want to pursue Eugene as a bit of fun, then fine - go ahead. It's your call, obviously.

This thread has already been VERY useful in highlighting just how utterly useless eBay really are. They now don't even [i][b]pretend [/b][/i]to provide a safe, fair market-place. All that matters is maximising their own fees.

My personal eBay feedback is >300 @ 100%, but I've virtually stopped using eBay over the last six months. It's a shame. For a few years it really was "a community" and a nice place to do business.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='780729' date='Mar 20 2010, 01:00 PM']Wayne, I entirely agree with the disappointment/outrage expressed by others above, BUT you're on a hiding to nothing with this one IMHO.

You bid on the bass as a joke before anyone even knew what it was, so you'll have a hard time persuading anyone that this was the bass of your dreams, and the vendor has nothing at all to lose ... single-figure feedback, he'll just walk away and set up another eBay User ID.

If you want to pursue Eugene as a bit of fun, then fine - go ahead. It's your call, obviously.

This thread has already been VERY useful in highlighting just how utterly useless eBay really are. They now don't even [i][b]pretend [/b][/i]to provide a safe, fair market-place. All that matters is maximising their own fees.

My personal eBay feedback is >300 @ 100%, but I've virtually stopped using eBay over the last six months. It's a shame. For a few years it really was "a community" and a nice place to do business.[/quote]

TBH Jack I don't really care about the bass, as you say I didn't even know what it was when I bid but I have just decided to push it to see how far eBay will go to protect buyer, apparently not far at all.

• 2 weeks later...