Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz Classic Vibe - undergoing make over

Grand Wazoo

I mentioned doing this sort of thing to the other half a few months ago.

The idea was to get a battered fender prescision - white with the black blotches and get a headstock logo along the kines of Fender Pro-friesian Bass" - or a black Jazz with the white blotches - logo would have had to be Fender Jizz Bass.

I actually like what you have done - purely from a humourous perespective - like the swiss chees bass that has been seen on this forum in the past

And yes - I did buy a gateway computer many years ago - the PC was OK, but the Friesian design of the boxes was fabulous

Edited by arsenic

[quote name='arsenic' post='760436' date='Mar 1 2010, 09:13 AM']I mentioned doing this sort of thing to the other half a few months ago.

The idea was to get a battered fender prescision - white with the black blotches and get a headstock logo along the kines of Fender Pro-friesian Bass" - or a black Jazz with the white blotches - logo would have had to be Fender Jizz Bass.

I actually like what you have done - purely from a humourous perespective - like the swiss chees bass that has been seen on this forum in the past

And yes - I did buy a gateway computer many years ago - the PC was OK, but the Friesian design of the boxes was fabulous[/quote]

Thanks, it was a labour of love and I know it can't be to everyone's taste but that cheeky feel you get when you play it that in front of your unsuspecting audience is something else.

I too had a gateway pc, in 199....5?? something like that, state of the art dial up modem 56kpb!! :) pfft!

Yeah now I remember it came in a moo box

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='760667' date='Mar 1 2010, 12:59 PM']I think this one has been ruminating too long.

:rolleyes:

Should I point out now that you could have saved a few quid by buying a plain white PG and using the vinyl on that too? I do feel tempted to try something similar though, just for fun.[/quote]

Very true but i really do scratch pickguards, me. so... I needed something more stable. On a positive note, my pickups just arrived! yay, so this weekend the new pickups (stacked humbuckers) plus the vintage circuitry will be fitted and all will be tickety...... moo! :)

[size=4][b]PHASE THREE[/b][/size]

The pickups have arrived

These are a couple of Seymour Duncan BASSLINES STK-J1 paired set of Alnico V - Classic Stack Pickups, they are basically humbuckers in a single coil stack, reducing the hum and they are voiced to the exact specs of 60's classic Jazz pickups

Edited by bass5

I'd love to know how the pretend single coils translate over for bass use. In the guitar world they're like comparing a tescos curry to what you'd get in a good restaurant (you know what they're trying to do, but it isn't the same) but tonal requirements are so different for basses that I imagine it would work quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

....... and FINALLY the pickguard arrived today!

When I get home tonight I'l post the pics of the finished product, I haven't sprayed the knobs yet as they need a different paint which needs to be brushed in with a little brush, the spray can stuff didn't stick well and just dripped off the specimen pot I had.

[size=5][b]THE FINISHED PRODUCT[/b][/size]

I have decided not to use the pink pickup cover until I find the correct colour and one that will match the knobs as the two paints are not matching, I couldn't use spray paint on the knobs as it dripped off them for some reason. But I am happy with this, sorry it's a lot of pics

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='779218' date='Mar 18 2010, 10:14 PM']What happened to the udder pickups?[/quote]

The spray paint was crap, didn't stick well and kept rubbing off when playing, I need to find a stronger paint that has to be brushed in properly without bubbling... we'll see

I am very very happy with the way the bass plays, let alone how I have made it to look, that was just to create a tease on a non expensive bass, but I can honestly tell you guys, I am in heaven with these Squier Classic Vibe's they really are good and can stand up to the more expensive basses in my collection (listed below)

I absolutely love the softness and deep clarity and touch of the '51 Precision, [b]that is definately [/b]my favourite, while at the same time, I love in equal ways this Jazz and the 60's Precision in Fiesta Red.

I am now counting 8 lovely basses in my collection and one on the way in a few months (EB MusicMan Big Al 5 SSS)

1. PRS Bass 4 1988 - Seafoam Green
2. PRS Bass 5 1998 - Royal Blue Quilted Maple
3. Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray 5 2000 - Translucent Red
4. Ernie Ball MusicMan Bongo 5 2003 - Sapphire Black
5. Ernie Ball MusicMan 25th Anniversary 5 2009 - Venetian Red Burst
6. Squier Classic Vibe '51 Precision Lake Placid Blue
7. Squier Classic Vibe '60 Jazz - Olympic White / Moo Moo
8. Squier Classic Vibe '60 Precision Fiesta Red but Salmon Pink, me think
and soon
9. Ernie Ball MusicMan Big Al 5 - SSS Candy Apple Red

Edited by bass5

[quote name='bass5' post='779296' date='Mar 18 2010, 11:31 PM']I am very very happy with the way the bass plays, let alone how I have made it to look, that was just to create a tease on a non expensive bass, but I can honestly tell you guys, I am in heaven with these Squier Classic Vibe's they really are good and can stand up to the more expensive basses in my collection (listed below)[/quote]

I just can't get over the quality of them either. It's ridiculous. My 60s precision is probably going to be my only precision for the forseeable future.

I love the cow bass mate, really is totally original.