Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

https://www.talkbass.com/wiki/pw3b-lpf-open-source-onboard-preamp/

1 hour ago, itu said:

That green one looks very good even without the electronics.

How much is your circuitry consuming energy? Volts and milliamps? Could I put it inside a bass with a battery?

@Passinwind will probably reply shortly but I know the history of this design. It was originally designed as an onboard pre-amp. The full details of that design is available on "The Other Place" and as I understand it, the latest iteration is designed as either an onboard or stomp box format.  As for power consumption, I know that this was a major consideration in the choice of components and I believe that this version is designed for either 9V or 18V  operation Thde original can be seen here. https://www.talkbass.com/wiki/pw3b-lpf-open-source-onboard-preamp/

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, itu said:

That green one looks very good even without the electronics.

How much is your circuitry consuming energy? Volts and milliamps? Could I put it inside a bass with a battery?

John covered most of it, but to flesh that out:

The original open source one used LT1351 and LT1352 opamps and drew about 800uA @9V. For most of the newer onboard ones and probably all the pedals I've gone with OPA145 and OPA2145, which puts nominal consumption at around 1.4mA. I've had one like that in my 5 string bass for several months now and haven't gotten to the first battery change yet. The former two chips come in DIP-8 format (through hole parts) or as surface mount parts and the latter two are SMD only. The SMD boards (two in this version) are quite a bit more compact than the original board but are not as DIY friendly, so I have an intermediate solution in mind for if and when I release a new open source one.

And then I have a pedal in mind with a few more features, for which I'm still considering all the obvious options like variable HPF, gain and volume controls, DI, headphone amp, Aux In for playalongs, etc. It would probably run on +/- 15V via one of the ubiquitous charge pump converter chips that are getting more and more popular. So, still would work fine on standard 9V pedalboard power and power conversion happens in the box. As John mentioned, the pictured pedal will be happy with anything from 9-18V, maybe higher even. Those boards should come in next week and the black box needs to be ready for my friend's NAMM booth first week in June. He  requested that color scheme and the "chameleon" one is likely to be the default if I start selling these since reception has been very good for it.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finished up three different versions of my hybrid filter preamp pedals over the last few weeks:

NAMMBox_2022_5.jpg.7757d65273db66a0034a93517f41c57a.jpg

ManndoBox3.jpg.62afefaa1302094bb65947e77239574c.jpg

Dmandobox.jpg.b275e10dee81062e607d5a84e07d96ac.jpg

The latter two have some tweaks to enhance use with mandolin or acoustic guitar, but both still work well for bass too. The graphics on the last one came back from Tayda a bit dodgy, but live and learn...😉

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

14 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Anyone seen or built the Frog FX1 preamp pedal

It caught my attention, but I ended buying a different PCB as I understood the Alembic was based on the old Acoustic 360 preamp (went down the rabbit hole on this one trying to find Larry Graham!) so I bought the PCB for one of these: http://www.lynx.net/~jc/pedals360.html

But I've never built a single sided board before so it's sat in my todo pile for a long time - other peoples build threads seem pretty hairy compared to a through hole PCB build.

I'd be interested to hear any experiences!

7 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

It caught my attention, but I ended buying a different PCB as I understood the Alembic was based on the old Acoustic 360 preamp (went down the rabbit hole on this one trying to find Larry Graham!) so I bought the PCB for one of these: http://www.lynx.net/~jc/pedals360.html

But I've never built a single sided board before so it's sat in my todo pile for a long time - other peoples build threads seem pretty hairy compared to a through hole PCB build.

I'm not sure that's right - Alembic I always though was a fender tonestack? 

Busy while there... Built B3K, Vintage Microtubes and EQD Sea Machine clones and a Dunwich designed N.E.W. Bass Overdrive from GCI in the last month or so. While I like the Darkglass thing in moderation, 2 on the board and an AO900 amp is a bit overkill, so I have an Aion Maelstrom kit coming to cover both B3K and Vintage territory. Modulation isn't my thing but the Sea Machine might hang around for a while. 

REALLY like the Dunwich Bass Overdrive (Boss ODB-3 based). So much so I've ordered 3 other Dunwich clone PCBs from effects layouts for myself - Volt Thrower, ODB and Wizard Fuzz. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

Have to agree with @LukeFRC, the Alembic is based on the Fender Dual Showman preamp. 

yeahhhh - last build was a catlinbread SFT and a big muff on Vero, a chorus of some kind on a pCB all put in the same red box.... I was one of the first posters on this thread... then went through the "I don't do pedals" stage... then last few years used a Zoom B3n followed by the current HX stomp... so I am using pedals just not in the normal way pedal people do... 

On 01/07/2022 at 20:24, Bigwan said:

Busy while there... Built B3K, Vintage Microtubes and EQD Sea Machine clones and a Dunwich designed N.E.W. Bass Overdrive from GCI in the last month or so. While I like the Darkglass thing in moderation, 2 on the board and an AO900 amp is a bit overkill, so I have an Aion Maelstrom kit coming to cover both B3K and Vintage territory. Modulation isn't my thing but the Sea Machine might hang around for a while. 

REALLY like the Dunwich Bass Overdrive (Boss ODB-3 based). So much so I've ordered 3 other Dunwich clone PCBs from effects layouts for myself - Volt Thrower, ODB and Wizard Fuzz. 

How long does it take for the PCB's from Effects Layouts to arrive from the States?