Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

A little off topic, but anyone here fancy repairing a Future Impact for me? It has a dodgy pot, so I bought the correct replacement, and then managed to knock a little SMD component off while trying to remove the old pot. I've never delved into the SMD world but I know a few of you DIY'ers have, so thought I would ask here!

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not FX as such, but I've decided that I'm going to replace the volume pedal on my board with a homebrewed buffered mute switch with tuner output. The mute LED will flash, just make sure that I can't miss it. I only ever use the volume pedal as an on-off anyway, so it makes zero sense to keep it really and I might as well get some cash for it instead. Plus I already have all the bits I need to make the mute box.

Edited by Rich

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2022 at 13:58, Higgie said:

A little off topic, but anyone here fancy repairing a Future Impact for me? It has a dodgy pot, so I bought the correct replacement, and then managed to knock a little SMD component off while trying to remove the old pot. I've never delved into the SMD world but I know a few of you DIY'ers have, so thought I would ask here!

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

Its hard to see what that part  is . Do you still have the part ?

12 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Its hard to see what that part  is . Do you still have the part ?

It’s actually all fixed. I emailed Panda Audio and they advised me that the pedal would function fine without it, as the capacitor was semi-redundant due to there being another one nearby with the same function, and it not being in the audio path. Fired it up after replacing the dodgy pot and it works perfectly!

33 minutes ago, Alfie said:

A couple of LEDs I ordered recently are white rather than purple, is this likely to be a problem with the manufacturing/stock or is there some electrical wizardry I am missing?

Are they 'white' when illuminated rather than just when off ?

35 minutes ago, Alfie said:

A couple of LEDs I ordered recently are white rather than purple, is this likely to be a problem with the manufacturing/stock or is there some electrical wizardry I am missing?

Are you powering it within its stated voltage range with an appropriate limiting resistor?

If so then I'd say it's a lot more likely to simply be the wrong LED.

6 minutes ago, bobbass4k said:

Are you powering it within its stated voltage range with an appropriate limiting resistor?

If so then I'd say it's a lot more likely to simply be the wrong LED.

Yes and yes. Also breadboarded to try different resistors.

I think I have been sent the wrong LED

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alfie said:

How many purple LEDs did you buy/need? I've got a few spares

On 10/04/2022 at 17:12, Alfie said:

BJFe Blueberry clone in a repurposed and polished old Boss enclosure.

PXL_20220410_160824015.jpg

PXL_20220410_160809869.jpg

Might I ask what your process was for stripping and polishing the enclosure?

Also what switching have you got going on for the circuit? 

Thanks

Si

34 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Might I ask what your process was for stripping and polishing the enclosure?

Also what switching have you got going on for the circuit? 

Thanks

Si

The stripping and polishing process mostly involved swearing.

I did as much as I could with a random orbital sander and 220 grit, then sanded by hand every grit from 320 to 7000. Then I used auto sol aluminium polish combined with a vigorous wrist action developed during my teenage years. Finally I dropped a screwdriver on it from a great height, creating the dent you can see in the middle.

The switch is a soft-click 3pdt so it feels like boss switching without the faff of building a relay. There isn't much margin for error with the switch because the battery cover plate doesn't leave much room for the latching process to complete, but it is possible.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a follow-up on yesterday's babble about this PedalPCB General Tso (ThorpyFX Fat General clone)... 

First build in a LONG time. First Musikding kit - other than the poor quality 125B clone enclosure, a pretty good kit. First time using a PedalPCB board - they're not for the beginner as the documentation is a bit thin. But it turned out brilliantly! Probably my favourite pedal I've built. Doesn't look like much but at this point I couldn't care less! Need to find my stash of knobs... 

IMG_20220510_095232.thumb.jpg.9a7596a22fb8290148d116e6618434ec.jpg

IMG_20220510_095245.thumb.jpg.edd42824c3225ee09c1b2785e0a91d95.jpg

37 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Looks great - thanks for the nudge - I'm going to build one! They have a huge range of pcb's - I built their hudson duocast clone with a NOS mullard OC71 that is older than me! It really has an amazing tone.

A hudson clone is on my to-do list! Was going to vero it, but after this experience I think I'll grab a PCB!

1 hour ago, Bigwan said:

A hudson clone is on my to-do list! Was going to vero it, but after this experience I think I'll grab a PCB!

The extras make it worth it - the charge pump makes a night/day difference when switched in 27V or whatever it is sounds really full and juicy, 9v sounds nasty and starved in comparison - I'd have been quite dissapointed if I'd just run it at 9V. You're right about the build docs though - they are pretty sparse. There is often more info on the forum there though.

Edited by bloke_zero
Neatness

First V2 build  of my open source filter preamp in pedal form:

LPF_Stopmp_V2.jpg.2d902a49b76d22aac9b375722db5fb54.jpg

Enclosure and UV printing from Tayda for this build, but I'm trying a semi-local US print vendor right now with more uptown Gorva S90 enclosures and should have a couple of new ones in by early next week.

• Like 2

And here are pics of the new ones from the American print guy. I know who I'll be using going forward. The bottom one changes color from green to purple with viewing or lighting angle changes, can't wait to see it in person.

BlackSparkle.JPG.28c74b4cb6f60bbd541c82d01c588a36.JPG

Chameleon.JPG.b97a80c6d07d0ee449752881cf6a8de8.JPG

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 1