Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

38 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Thanks @WoodinblackI thought that might be the case but it was worth a shot I suppose

I'll just have to use it when everyone's out so I can play it at a reasonable volume...... 👍🏻 

Only the input volume matters. The Sense will change the level you need to play at and the range will also help with that.

Are you not getting any difference or is it subtle? It should be anything but subtle.

-- edit

it is a bit of an odd ciruit that both the sense and the range can mute it 

-- edit again

My mistake, I didn't notice the switch positions, its an odd way of drawing it.

22 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Only the input volume matters. The Sense will change the level you need to play at and the range will also help with that.

Are you not getting any difference or is it subtle? It should be anything but subtle.

-- edit

it is a bit of an odd ciruit that both the sense and the range can mute it 

-- edit again

My mistake, I didn't notice the switch positions, its an odd way of drawing it.

Right if I undestand correctly if the sense and range is on full and the volume on my bass is full then I should still hear the effect? I think I'm right in thinking the harder the attack then the more pronounced the effect will be or is that what the sense pot does? 

I'll have to try it tomorrow as the kids are in bed now...... 👍🏻 

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

Right if I undestand correctly if the sense and range is on full and the volume on my bass is full then I should still hear the effect? I think I'm right in thinking the harder the attack then the more pronounced the effect will be or is that what the sense pot does? 

Yep.

• Thanks 1

I'll have to try it tomorrow as the kids are in bed now...... 👍🏻 

I would say that sens is sensitivity and affects the threshold that you trigger the auto-wah at, and if it's not sensitive enough when on max it will be one or more of the R4-R5-R6 network that needs changing, and range will control how much it wahs. D2 seems to be to indicate when the auto is autoing. It's confusingly labelled as it has D1 as a 1N4148 and D2 & D3 as red LEDs, but the circuit diagram shows D1 and D2 as LEDs and D3 as a plain ordinary diode. Can't work out what R5 and D1 are doing as I would have expected something to pull the voltage of the non-inverting input of IC1A to midway between +9V and 0V (like R9 & R10 do for IC1B) but if D1 was a 1N4148 then the non-inverting input would be pulled to 0.6V, while if it was a red LED it would be pulled to 2.2V or so.

30 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I would say that sens is sensitivity and affects the threshold that you trigger the auto-wah at, and if it's not sensitive enough when on max it will be one or more of the R4-R5-R6 network that needs changing, and range will control how much it wahs. D2 seems to be to indicate when the auto is autoing. It's confusingly labelled as it has D1 as a 1N4148 and D2 & D3 as red LEDs, but the circuit diagram shows D1 and D2 as LEDs and D3 as a plain ordinary diode. Can't work out what R5 and D1 are doing as I would have expected something to pull the voltage of the non-inverting input of IC1A to midway between +9V and 0V (like R9 & R10 do for IC1B) but if D1 was a 1N4148 then the non-inverting input would be pulled to 0.6V, while if it was a red LED it would be pulled to 2.2V or so.

I've populated it as listed on the BOM, so do you think I should swap D1 for a Red LED instead? 

I might have to pick your brain about a problem with my kit built OD pedal (DOD 250 clone) it just doesn't sound right its really muddy and when your trying to play riffs like RATM Know your enemy it just sounds a mess there is no clarity of the notes (I don't think its my playing?) 

_20211219_214104.JPG.450a223aa128c73a8f1f9005b1437720.JPG

_20211219_214141.thumb.JPG.eff856a2bae2dd43427e45ab3af4ea58.JPG

I think that I need to change C1 for a much higher value something like 100nf does that sound about right? 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey

I've populated it as listed on the BOM, so do you think I should swap D1 for a Red LED instead? 

I might have to pick your brain about a problem with my kit built OD pedal (DOD 250 clone) it just doesn't sound right its really muddy and when your trying to play riffs like RATM Know your enemy it just sounds a mess there is no clarity of the notes (I don't think its my playing?) 

_20211219_214104.JPG.450a223aa128c73a8f1f9005b1437720.JPG

_20211219_214141.thumb.JPG.eff856a2bae2dd43427e45ab3af4ea58.JPG

I think that I need to change C1 for a much higher value something like 100nf does that sound about right? 👍🏻 

The answer to both is that I don't know - haven't built any distortions and the auto-wah circuit is something of a puzzle, it's more that I've seen incongruities in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

The answer to both is that I don't know - haven't built any distortions and the auto-wah circuit is something of a puzzle, it's more that I've seen incongruities in it.

Thanks anyway I might give it a go and see what happens..... 👍🏻 

60 odd resistors down, so much more to go....

IMG20211220183540.thumb.jpg.d2f17f7f8e910eeb6e0268a2fee00898.jpg

I wouldn't normally post a work in progress but this is my first pedal build in a few years and I thought maybe posting a couple of updates might help motivate me to actually finish this beast.

For the uninitiated, it's a String Ringer 1.3, a clone of the LoveTone Ring Stinger ring mod. There are fabbed PCBs available these days but this is a hand etched board (not etched by me I hasten to add!).

• 2 weeks later...

Needs knobs, and I'm going to swap a couple of wires to shielded to try and reduce some background noise, but it's done! Everything seems to work and it fired up first time.

IMG_20220105_193628.thumb.jpg.6830476d0bdc08872259276d6c07afc1.jpg

IMG_20220105_193728.thumb.jpg.976d3f9ec1b7a317249e10cd4916dbb1.jpg

This has been really fun, the wiring is a good time if you like fiddly, complicated stuff.

The pedal itself clearly needs time to learn. It's pretty full on.

Edited by soldersqueeze
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, soldersqueeze said:

Needs knobs, and I'm going to swap a couple of wires to shielded to try and reduce some background noise, but it's done! Everything seems to work and it fired up first time.

IMG_20220105_193628.thumb.jpg.6830476d0bdc08872259276d6c07afc1.jpg

IMG_20220105_193728.thumb.jpg.976d3f9ec1b7a317249e10cd4916dbb1.jpg

This has been really fun, the wiring is a good time if you like fiddly, complicated stuff.

The pedal itself clearly needs time to learn. It's pretty full on.

Looks like nice work.

On the noise / shielding front [ assuming that's what it looks like - aluminium Hammond type die cast box and its screwed together properly with the cable screens taken to the box - then screened wires inside are unlikely to make much difference to interference noise. It's putting a screen inside an enclosure that is already screened. It will reduce cross talk but I don't see that as an issue here.

Maybe more effective to filter the incoming signal - suggest something like 100p caps straight from the T of the TRS or TS socket to the box. Possibly a series resistance, say 100R, although if source is a passive pickup then that won't make a difference.

Is the noise broadband hiss or like mains interference. If mains type it could be due to the transformers and copper/aluminium screening may not be very effective.

Edited by rmorris

I let a friend whose day job involves hand soldering SMT parts take a crack at building one of my new three band preamps:

PW21B_v3_2_AT.jpg.e452b48c861dbf034d00a4a8f5133baa.jpg

The board itself came from DigiKey's new-ish fabrication service, it gets a thumbs-up from me.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 3

On 11/01/2022 at 17:27, disssa said:

Orange 4Stroke Preamp. I used factory schematics to create the pcb.

4stroke.thumb.jpg.948ebbaf774fdb21f72089e7886cf717.jpg

4stroke_pcb.thumb.jpg.5fe088f7501710e1076eab3b0f548d45.jpg

What are the jack sockets? They look like an improvment on the old style switchcraft ones I'm using in terms of space. Are you finding them reliable?

I love how clean your builds are - humbling!

On 14/01/2022 at 10:29, bloke_zero said:

What are the jack sockets? They look like an improvment on the old style switchcraft ones I'm using in terms of space. Are you finding them reliable?

That are Lumberg jacks. Usually I used jacks from Switchcraft. But the Lumbergs are much smaller. So far I've only had good experiences with the Lumbergs.

Edited by disssa
  • Like 1

On 12/01/2022 at 17:27, disssa said:

Search the internet...

I did a search for 'Orange 4stroke schematic' and all that came up were manuals (not free downloads). Assuming that said manuals don't contain a full and detailed circuit schematic, is it possible that you could be a tiny bit more detailed?

On 06/01/2022 at 20:12, rmorris said:

On the noise / shielding front [ assuming that's what it looks like...

I may have a play with a filtering cap then, thanks for the input (pun intended!). The shielding definitely did help- I think running wires past the transformer board is not great practice, but there are a lot of wires and it's hard to avoid. There is still some carrier signal bleed but from what I've read that's just part of the pedal.

Ring modulation is fun though! I've just finished up my deadend FX wurmloch build this morning. It's a take on the DBA flaming lips pedal which was a very short run a few years ago. Way more limited in use than the String Ringer, but much easier to build and still a good time. Ideal if you want a ring mod for pure noise madness and are put off by the size and complexity if the LoveTone.

IMG_20220116_122803.thumb.jpg.9a4e924a4406249c2cdb5b9a9f04dfbd.jpg

IMG_20220116_125010.thumb.jpg.e4f583691eb4119a2f9403b6fa4e22d6.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/01/2022 at 17:27, disssa said:

Search the internet...

On 16/01/2022 at 10:41, Rich said:

I did a search for 'Orange 4stroke schematic' and all that came up were manuals (not free downloads). Assuming that said manuals don't contain a full and detailed circuit schematic, is it possible that you could be a tiny bit more detailed?

I take it that's a 'no' then...