Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

20 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Interesting. How did you get round the Saturation pot needing different value gangs (10k and 1k reverse log)? Did you find spares of the original part?

Omeg will make you as few as ten quite happily actually. I just recently stumbled upon that info when I needed some dual reverse log pots with long threaded bushings, which actually shipped out from their UK ship yesterday. Even with international shipping the price for a dozen was not prohibitive by my standards, but @disssa's solution would certainly be more cost effective. In my case I can just use cheap Tayda supplied Alpha pots for stompbox builds of the same filter preamp circuit, so I do. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/09/2021 at 11:49, Passinwind said:

I'm  also trying JLCPCB for some test HPF boards, which shipped three days from order date:

PWHPF.png.b3fb652bb2afdb6a2caa74a2cfa70e98.png

Those boards are just upwards of 2" x 1" and could even fit in a bass pretty easily, I reckon.

And here's what the first test build looks like:

PWHPF_1.JPG.da7e7a66cf8c9770e263005e9bf50fb0.JPG

If all goes well this will be another open source noncommercial share for DIYers, it's not a tough build at all for those with even a little SMD hand soldering exoerience.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

And here's what the first test build looks like:

PWHPF_1.JPG.da7e7a66cf8c9770e263005e9bf50fb0.JPG

If all goes well this will be another open source noncommercial share for DIYers, it's not a tough build at all for those with even a little SMD hand soldering exoerience.

Cool! So it's set and forget?

• Like 1

On 28/09/2021 at 09:23, bloke_zero said:

Cool! So it's set and forget?

It certainly could be if so desired, but it's primarily meant to be used with an outboard pot and sweep range will be readily adjustable by a few component changes during building. The basic format is taken from my various DIY amps and preamps over the least several years and is pretty well vetted. It's a little different from the usual suspects in that it only requires a simple single gang pot for frequency adjustment and it also doesn't fit neatly into a "cookbook" filter alignment, because I tend to prefer not just cloning other people's circuits.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Given theres been a lot of talk about split signal setups I wonder if anyone has (or could) designed something like this:

A box with 1 input, 2 "sends" and 2 "returns" mixed back to a single output. For bonus points the signal for the sends would be highs on one and lows on the other, for further bonus points the crossover/splitter frequency would be adjustable. 

The most complicated circuit I've ever designed myself was a single stage op amp pre amp for one of my guitars so the splitter doo-dah is well beyond my knowledge.

Edited by bassman7755

8 hours ago, bassman7755 said:

Given theres been a lot of talk about split signal setups I wonder if anyone has (or could) designed something like this:

A box with 1 input, 2 "sends" and 2 "returns" mixed back to a single output. For bonus points the signal for the sends would be highs on one and lows on the other, for further bonus points the crossover/splitter frequency would be adjustable. 

The most complicated circuit I've ever designed myself was a single stage op amp pre amp for one of my guitars so the splitter doo-dah is well beyond my knowledge.

Bing! https://schalltechnik04.de/en/instructions/omnilooper

Has 3 sends, LP HP and full range with the filter frequency of each channel adjustable. Adds in phase as well which is a must for some effects (lovetone meatball for example) that flip the phase.

It's a very dense build so not for the faint hearted! I'd recommend buying the case from him as well as drilling to the required tolerances seems non-trivial to me!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bassman7755 said:

Adjustable crossovers adds a fair amount of complexity/physical size. Certainly not beyond a DIY designer but as bloke_zero has pointed, when there's a decent kit that covers everything you're after that's always going to be the easiest option. 

1 hour ago, bobbass4k said:

Adjustable crossovers adds a fair amount of complexity/physical size. Certainly not beyond a DIY designer but as bloke_zero has pointed, when there's a decent kit that covers everything you're after that's always going to be the easiest option. 

2 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

Bing! https://schalltechnik04.de/en/instructions/omnilooper

Has 3 sends, LP HP and full range with the filter frequency of each channel adjustable. Adds in phase as well which is a must for some effects (lovetone meatball for example) that flip the phase.

It's a very dense build so not for the faint hearted! I'd recommend buying the case from him as well as drilling to the required tolerances seems non-trivial to me!

Yeah that does everything but is way more complicated than I was hoping for. For a start I don't need a full range channel, also the per channel volumes are superfluous as pretty every pedal on earth has a gain (where appropriate) and a volume control. Given I only want the crossed over highs and lows I'm not convinced I need the phase controls, also the pre post filter selection is irrelevant as I cant conceive of a need for doing the filter post split.

I'm presuming I could do the variable high and low pass filters with a 2nd order RC using a dual gang pot ?.

Edited by bassman7755

IE Divaricator is a pedal sized and functional X-over. It also has a (meaningless?) full range adjustment, which I keep at zero. Very fun addition to many pedals, like OD/fuzz/dist, chorus/flange, and so on. Recommended.

I built the Omnilooper, too. Some work, but very doable. I also recommend the box from him. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thx! 🙂 Unfortunately, my English is not good enough to translate the page.

I have owned an IVP and found it sounding amazingly good with bass. My version of the IVP sound really close to the original. It also sounds very good with the bass. I made also a pedal of the "tube" section: Klick

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've been getting the bits together to make a super super simple fuzz face ish clone as my first ever build. Any recommendations for beginner pedal projects that are more bass oriented?  

Also looking into some of these circuits, pedal companies must be making pretty tasty margins

You could look at the Wooly Mammoth or Mastotron as bass friendly fuzz face type circuits, plenty of good layouts/project PCBs available for both.

Good bass overdrive circuits tend to be bigger and more complex, as a rule fuzzes are the easiest and a good place to start.

Are you building on stripboard or buying PCBs? What kind of pedals are you most interested in?

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2021 at 14:54, Twunkbass said:

Hey guys, I've been getting the bits together to make a super super simple fuzz face ish clone as my first ever build. Any recommendations for beginner pedal projects that are more bass oriented?  

Also looking into some of these circuits, pedal companies must be making pretty tasty margins

Plenty to look through here (no personal commercial interest in this business)

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Fuzz/cat847125_2465698.aspx 

Hi all

Bit of help needed regarding a auto wah pedal that I'm building from a kit (Jeds Peds) 

I have never played through an auto wah pedal before so I think it all works fine? Except if the volume is low then no effect happens is that normal with this type of pedals and if not has anybody got any ideas if by changing a component I can change this? I've added the schematic and BOM just incase...... 👍🏻 

_20211219_180248.JPG.1fd33e70c8b82a836924f9501f2ce0a8.JPG_20211219_180313.JPG.aa4f6d1456a2688c393825c32d377f08.JPG

Edited by Jimothey