Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

On 30/01/2021 at 19:36, Bobo_08 said:

Hey up Pete, no one answered this question.. I took the plunge and bought a kit during the Christmas break, I build the Lo-FI delay pedal... Was pretty straightforward and apart from putting in one cap in the wrong polarity it worked first time. 

I can recommend, the kits... I would recommend to get the pre-drilled enclosure option. Let me know if you have anymore questions. 

Dom 👍

Thanks Dom (I nearly wrote BoBo!).  Only just seen your post, sorry.  I'm going to give it a go, still not sure where to start, but maybe the Lo-Fi is as good as any.  Certainly one of those categorised as for Beginners!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petecarlton said:

Thanks Dom (I nearly wrote BoBo!).  Only just seen your post, sorry.  I'm going to give it a go, still not sure where to start, but maybe the Lo-Fi is as good as any.  Certainly one of those categorised as for Beginners!

Go for it mate, there is a facebook support page you can join, if you have any specific questions. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/02/2021 at 19:02, disssa said:

My new one:

mono_front.jpg.bd2a8da1e1765fd02fce25db0efb1cbd.jpg

It is a Traynor Mono Block II Preamp in pedal format.

mono_open.jpg.dd1a10bbad6edc881ca2a039dc6a36b0.jpg

That. Looks. Amazing!!!

You can just tell by the quality of the construction it’s a real passion, looks fantastic. 

is that a double sided pcb? Have built a few pedals before but never used sliders before. 

how does it sound?

Edited by Bassybert

15 hours ago, disssa said:

No kit. I used the original schematics and created a pcb with eagle.

Excellent effort. There is a thread on Talkbass about another DIY pedal version of the Traynor Mono Block 2 (https://www.talkbass.com/threads/traynor-monoblock-ii-preamp-pedal.1235729/), but whoever did that used rotary pots.

Respect for taking on the mechanical challenges of using sliders, I'd hesitate as I very much doubt my ability to make slots in a box that didn't look like they were carved out with a spoon.

• Like 1

I really like JohnK's pedals! As I saw his MonoBlock I got the Idea to use sliders instead of rotary pots.

14 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

Would you mind sharing the schematic? Where did you get the PCB produced? You have me all motivated. 

I used this schematic: Klick

I had the PCBs made locally. But you can made pcbs also online: Klick

Edited by disssa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, disssa said:

I really like JohnK's pedals! As I saw his MonoBlock I got the Idea to use sliders instead of rotary pots.

I used this schematic: Klick

I had the PCBs made locally. But you can made pcbs also online: Klick

Awesome man! Thank you. 

Awesome execution 👌 I think you could easily sell this PCB to people on here. I would buy one for sure. 

I've never done much PCB layout but have KiCad, not tried Eagle. Are you an Electronic Engineer?

Edited by Bobo_08

5 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Excellent effort. There is a thread on Talkbass about another DIY pedal version of the Traynor Mono Block 2 (https://www.talkbass.com/threads/traynor-monoblock-ii-preamp-pedal.1235729/), but whoever did that used rotary pots.

Respect for taking on the mechanical challenges of using sliders, I'd hesitate as I very much doubt my ability to make slots in a box that didn't look like they were carved out with a spoon.

It's super impressive! I'm guessing the slots for the sliders were milled, not sure if there is a DIY solution to this.

28 minutes ago, disssa said:

No, I am not an Electronic Engineer. I am a "Hydraulic" Engineer... (I dont know the exactly designation).

The holes for the rotary pots and the slots for the sliders were milled with a cnc milling machine.

Qudos to you Dissa, absolutely fantastic job, very professional 👌

Did you draw the schematic in Eagle and the let eagle automatically decide the layout?

Edited by Bobo_08

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2021 at 06:43, Bobo_08 said:

Awesome man! Thank you. 

Awesome execution 👌 I think you could easily sell this PCB to people on here. I would buy one for sure. 

I've never done much PCB layout but have KiCad, not tried Eagle. Are you an Electronic Engineer?

I've been using KiCAD for several years now, it's really come a long way in the last few revisions. Here's a prototype three band preamp I built yesterday:

PW21B.JPG.378b2080b4837ea863278e89eef21759.JPG

It's meant mainly to be an onboard one,  hence the form factor.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Passinwind said:

I've been using KiCAD for several years now, it's really come a long way in the last few revisions. Here's a prototype three band preamp I built yesterday:

PW21B.JPG.378b2080b4837ea863278e89eef21759.JPG

It's meant mainly to be an onboard one,  hence the form factor.

Nice work man, Excellent and I love the cool purple PCB. Did you design the circuit too?

1 hour ago, Bobo_08 said:

Nice work man, Excellent and I love the cool purple PCB. Did you design the circuit too?

Thanks, purple is actually the default color from the most popular prototype board vendor in the US, OSHpark. They do a black one with clear solder mask now too though, which also looks pretty cool.

And yeah, I mostly design my own circuits using LTspice and very rarely do clone stuff. But of course rolling your own and doing something truly unique are two very different things and there's so much to learn by analyzing existing popular circuits.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Passinwind said:

Thanks, purple is actually the default color from the most popular prototype board vendor in the US, OSHpark. They do a black one with clear solder mask now too though, which also looks pretty cool.

And yeah, I mostly design my own circuits using LTspice and very rarely do clone stuff. But of course rolling your own and doing something truly unique are two very different things and there's so much to learn by analyzing existing popular circuits.

Nice choice of default colour by OSHpark! It's something I want to get into but struggling to find the time with competing priorities at the moment. I noticed you have cone surface mount too, I guess OSHpark do surface mount production too?

16 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

Nice choice of default colour by OSHpark! It's something I want to get into but struggling to find the time with competing priorities at the moment. I noticed you have cone surface mount too, I guess OSHpark do surface mount production too?

Yep, surface mount, 4 layer boards, flexible boards, etc. They ship worldwide for free as well, although I've heard things can move slowly outside of the US. Where I am, maybe 80 miles from OSH, I usually get boards in hand in around 12 days from the order date.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 2

That's really cool! Goin SMD & 4 layers allows you to really reduce the footprint of the board I.  I should start having a go at this sort of thing. Just need to allot some time towards the learning curve and start on maybe simple boost/buffer circuit. If you have any suggestions for circuits to get me started id really appreciate that.