Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

On 06/12/2020 at 16:00, Bobo_08 said:

My scope doesn't have a function generator built in, I may invest in one if it's a useful to have one, Here is a photo of my scope with a sawtooth waveform generated by an arduino and screen capture of a 12-bit DAC chip I was messing around with. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-18 at 10.52.43.jpeg

SDS00005.png

I made a DDS signal generator using an AVR (the chip in Arduinos).

541315881_Comparingwaves(6).thumb.JPG.5354278e053cf0cf885845f7ee5c4ea2.JPG

971751917_Comparingwaves(4).thumb.JPG.52b0996176d888f66c1aa3476cc07b3f.JPG

These digital oscilloscopes are brilliant too, and dead cheap:

1362055753_scope1.thumb.JPG.bd9828f480d42927adce70bc2b6e13c9.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, disssa said:

Here is another talkbass project:

rail.jpg.03138829272500e8dafa316bf73f46e2.jpg

You're killing it with the overdrive pedals! I'm enjoying your work and wish I had your skills! I spent a lot of time building various overdrive/distortion pedals in a quest for the perfect (to me) 303 overdrive sound and they are all so different - a fascinating area.

I am a big "fan" of Gallien-Krueger amps. That are my favourite amps. But I am also a big fan of tube amps. I've been testing various overdrives for twenty years. But I haven't found the perfect OD for myself yet. Recently I've been testing pedals with transformers. They could be the right way.

The 800RAIL sound good. A lot of OD-variations are possible. But it doesn't sound 100% like an 800RB. 

I wish I still had the "Doc's Monster Fuzz" I built nearly 40 years ago, in a plastic maplins box.

Two stages of extreme fuzziness, one was transistor and one was op-amp based.

It got stolen, and I replaced it with the HM-2 I still have, but the HM2 was never quite as extreme.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 16:56, Bobo_08 said:

I want to start building my own pedals, and thinking of starting off with one of the full kits from Jed's Peds, I don't have a chorus pedal or a compressor pedal (I currently use the compression on my spectra drive). 

I have seen a PCB online for the original EHX Clone Theory, minus the transformer. Wonder if anyone had built a clone of the clone already?

Did anyone actually answer your question or did they gett too excited about your waveform? 🤣  I ask because I've been looking at the Jed's Peds kit and am very tempted to start my pedal building journey with something like this.

Pete

Hey up Pete, no one answered this question.. I took the plunge and bought a kit during the Christmas break, I build the Lo-FI delay pedal... Was pretty straightforward and apart from putting in one cap in the wrong polarity it worked first time. 

I can recommend, the kits... I would recommend to get the pre-drilled enclosure option. Let me know if you have anymore questions. 

Dom 👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

Hey up Pete, no one answered this question.. I took the plunge and bought a kit during the Christmas break, I build the Lo-FI delay pedal... Was pretty straightforward and apart from putting in one cap in the wrong polarity it worked first time. 

I can recommend, the kits... I would recommend to get the pre-drilled enclosure option. Let me know if you have anymore questions. 

Dom 👍

Thanks Dom, I'll let you know how I get on!

One problem with the soldering irons on EBay are that new bits are hard to find. Of course a temperature controlled iron is great but a good one is expensive from a reputable manufactur

Having soldered for 50 years (with the odd tees and wee break) I would suggest that someone new to soldering choose an Antex iron. These can be picked up for about £20. Although not servo controlled they do maintain temperature well. They are UK based and do have temperature controlled irons. However I would suggest an  18 or 25 watts Antex fir about £20 is your best staring point. 

• Like 1

I'm lucky to have one of these, it's the dog's chestnuts (£169.99 direct from Antex, up to £299 elsewhere!

https://www.antex.co.uk/products/soldering-stations/760rwk/

SD01911-40.jpg

760RWK.png?width=1000&height=1000&bgcolo

Best bit is all the other uses for a precision temperature controlled hot air gun - such as heat shrink and bending plastic.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm lucky to have one of these, it's the dog's chestnuts (£169.99 direct from Antex, up to £299 elsewhere!

https://www.antex.co.uk/products/soldering-stations/760rwk/

SD01911-40.jpg

Best bit is all the other uses for a precision temperature controlled hot air gun - such as heat shrink and bending plastic.

You horrible man. Just when my finances were starting to get back on track you show me this? Yes this wouild be ideal if you are doin a lot of work, and like Ashdown, they have excellent customer service being in the UK and nice Devonian people.

Over the years I have used Antex, Weller and varoius cheap and cheerful brands but as I amsemi retired I now only use the Antex irons although I am tempted....

• Haha 1