Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

In the top picture, the clipping will be symmetrical as the two sets of diode operate equally on the top and bottom of the waveform. The bottom one will clip the top of the waveform more than the bottom.

distortion.thumb.jpg.ba93d75b202e3e26d513250db3d8ad90.jpg

I know what it is, I just wondered why you quoted my particular post when asking the question lol

Si

13 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

Asymmetric clipping produces more odd harmonics, creating a slightly harsher, more dissonant tone. Symmetric will produce more even harmonics, not necceassirly smoother, but a more pleasent sound. In pratcice the difference can be kind of hard to notice when you´re doing hard clipping like here (diodes directly on the op-amp output). It´s more noticeable in soft clipping setups (in the feedback loop of the op-amp) like the tubescreamer.

The reason I asked is that the MiBass 2.0 has symmetric diodes after an opamp (see below). I like the sound as you turn up the gain and dig in. I wondered how the change might affect its sound.

It is also has a true gain control.

symetric.PNG.e891784335e5033b17c4586159d66ec8.PNG

Edited by Chienmortbb

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey, mine's a far less professional looking product than either of those, but anyway... here's a Mammoth clone I've just made for my pedalboard (so no battery in this one). Based on the Fuzzdog 'Fat Furry Freak' PCB, I had most of the parts already in my spares box, so this one only cost me about £12 or so in new bits & pieces. Sounds amazing, really pleased with it. The brown dot on his trunk is a flush-mounted amber LED under the decal. 
I made a bigger one in a BB box earlier in the year; that was 'Heffalump', which is why this B-sized one is Junior :) 

EDIT: just to ease anyone's OCD... the knobs do all line up, they just weren't all zeroed for the photo. :lol:  

20201109_233243 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, disssa said:

My version of a rog ginger:

ingwer.jpg.48d6bc2e6dfd5afcfcd8cf79ad1ce4d3.jpg

That looks incredible - can i ask about your etching process? I've had mixed results with it, to paint the etch I usually mask off the empty space and spray paint the etched bits, then sand the whole thing with super fine paper - but I've found it difficult to get a deep enough etch that's also clean for that to work. 

Ahhh they´re CNC´d - I thought the small lettering looked very neat for an acid etch. What CNC setup are you using? It´s not something I´ve really considered before - but thinking about it it would make a lot of things easier and there seem t o be some cheapish diy options around.

Hi All, 

I want to start building my own pedals, and thinking of starting off with one of the full kits from Jed's Peds, I don't have a chorus pedal or a compressor pedal (I currently use the compression on my spectra drive). 

I have seen a PCB online for the original EHX Clone Theory, minus the transformer. Wonder if anyone had built a clone of the clone already?

What test kit do you guys have, I already have a decent 4 channel, 1Gs/s DSO and a cheapish multimeter, which might not be that accurate for measuring some component values.  Any advice and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers 

21 hours ago, Bobo_08 said:

...already have a decent 4 channel, 1Gs/s DSO...

Wow, that is a tool.

Well, nearly any signal source is fine like a CD player or a tuner. Maybe even that saw signal from your scope.

Very accurate component values are hardly needed. You want better accuracy, metal film resistors are fine.

1 hour ago, itu said:

Wow, that is a tool.

Well, nearly any signal source is fine like a CD player or a tuner. Maybe even that saw signal from your scope.

Very accurate component values are hardly needed. You want better accuracy, metal film resistors are fine.

My scope doesn't have a function generator built in, I may invest in one if it's a useful to have one, Here is a photo of my scope with a sawtooth waveform generated by an arduino and screen capture of a 12-bit DAC chip I was messing around with. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-18 at 10.52.43.jpeg

SDS00005.png

Edited by Bobo_08

4 hours ago, itu said:

I tend to use my bassstation as a waveform generator. It has the advantage you can put it on hold!

On 06/12/2020 at 16:00, Bobo_08 said:

My scope doesn't have a function generator built in, I may invest in one if it's a useful to have one, Here is a photo of my scope with a sawtooth waveform generated by an arduino and screen capture of a 12-bit DAC chip I was messing around with. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-18 at 10.52.43.jpeg

SDS00005.png

I was lookimg at one of those but a Picoscope 2006 came up on ebay and that includes an Arbitrary Waveform Generator that can be automated. I have not had it long but I have used a plug in to check the frequency response of my amps. I will be doing a response of the Zoom B1 Four tomorrow.