Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

Next idea forming in my brain...

Switching box with two loops and three switches:

A/B(which loop active if not on both or bypass)

Both (in series)

Bypass(neither)

Rather than the usual A/B/Y arrangement.

And build a high pass filter into the same box.

Planned use:

Bass ---> compressor ----> HPF -----> LOOP A ---> LOOP B -----> Amp

8 hours ago, itu said:

My only question is that why should the compressor handle the full bandwidth? I might be interested in the difference of the performance if that HPF is the first thing after the bass.

Less handling noise for the comp, maybe?

I did think of adding a third loop, just for the compressor, before the A loop.

Apparently some people use an HPF between effects and amp to remove 'sub octaves' generated by effects (I can see how chorus/flange type effects could easily generate these).

• Thanks 1

A Switching Box. I decided to keep it simple(!) It's the black box bottom middle.

Two effects loops, I'm using A for distortion pedals and B for modulation effects. HPF, Tuner, Compressor and EQ are before the box.

Buttons are, left to right: A/B --- BYPASS --- AND/OR.

The 'AND' function is series not a Y or parallel. Everything is true bypass, except that when  B only is selected the input of A is still connected to the input - this doesn't cause any detectable loss of signal. I couldn't find a way to avoid this using no more than 2 switch poles. This does mean effect in loops A will bleed through to the output if you run the box backwards, so it is unidirectional!

The A and B LEDs light dimly to show the configuration when the bypass is active so you can tell what will happen when you turn bypass off, done by putting an extra 4K7 resistor in series. Some crude diode logic allows all the LED switching to be done with one pole of each switch.

The A/B jack sockets are bypassed so if you don't have anything plugged in there's still signal continuity BUT plugging in either send or return without the other will break continuity.

Power connector not shown on circuit diagram, but fairly obvious where to connect it. Box will work without power, just no lights!

Working this out was a bit like doing suduko and cost me a night's sleep!

1007480916_onpedalboard.thumb.JPG.ee6ad2c06e0586c7477f23e30330c020.JPG

194124366_SwitchBox.thumb.png.b1d7e02b3b169fc3e1c547ec2fef84bf.png

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

Here's another one: the PedalPCB version of the EQD/Sunn O))) Life Pedal. 

I didn't like the knob and footswitch layout too much. I also wanted a jewel light for the main on/off.

So, everything got moved, except the clipping switch and the boost foot switch, which explains the spaghetti wiring in there.

((O)).jpg.1a1abbe6cb4be82f4f9ea0170b7d2894.jpg

713700862_((O))G.jpg.4f767f482edb56035ec7e1b21e46a05f.jpg

Sounds pretty good. Here's a quick sample: 

0:00 clean
0:07 Rat on (Dist kinda low)
0:15 Octave gets turned up 
0:22 Rat + full Octave
0:33 Rat only (0ctave off)
0:37 Rat + Boost
0:44 Rat + Boost + Octave (full)

Clip switch down.

• Like 4

Oooh... *toddles off to pedalPCB*

edit: pcb ordered. Hopefully that will stop the temptation of buying the pedal at the Sunn O))) gig in a couple of weeks...

edit 2: Especially as I've just found out it's €400!!

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bartelby said:

edit: pcb ordered. Hopefully that will stop the temptation of buying the pedal at the Sunn O))) gig in a couple of weeks...

I was also tempted by the real deal, but fortunately it sold out quicker than I could consider buying it.

Did you get the big one with the octave on a foot switch or the mini version? In any case, make sure to match the GE diodes of the stinger/octave section.

Enjoy the Sunn O))) gig!

3 hours ago, fuzzonaut said:

I was also tempted by the real deal, but fortunately it sold out quicker than I could consider buying it.

Did you get the big one with the octave on a foot switch or the mini version? In any case, make sure to match the GE diodes of the stinger/octave section.

Enjoy the Sunn O))) gig!

I got the big one. Thanks for the tip too.

I’m seeing them 3 times in a week, mainly for Anna Von Hausswolff.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 20:39, bartelby said:

Only 400€? I have seen it on reverb for something like 999€. What are the 599 extra euros for? CD and stickers? Wow 

8 minutes ago, oZZma said:

Only 400€? I have seen it on reverb for something like 999€. What are the 599 extra euros for? CD and stickers? Wow 

The extra €599 is for not having to deal with the queue at the merch stand.
My purchase of the Godeater pedal has firmly ended the GAS for a genuine EQD Life Pedal.

Been playing a few live Dubstep/Grime gigs recently and wanted to be able to get that LFO sweep 'Wob' effect on-tap, this is the result. Adapted an NE555 sawtooth oscillator circuit and used it to control the LED in my Morley wah. At the toe position is a momentary footswitch that engages the oscillator. Range is from around 2 - 60Hz which means you can go into ring mod territory which is also pretty fun. Here's a clip of me playing along to Gunshot Riddim by Skepta. Schematic attached, although I have a suspicion I changed the value or VR1 and the accompanying resistor. The second LED is for the visible rate indicator on top of the pedal.

I did quite a bit of searching to see if anyone else has tried modulating the LED in these Morleys and surprisingly found nothing. Seems like an area ripe for exploitation!

led oscillator.png

Edited by Cathode_Follower
  • Like 2

On 25/10/2019 at 07:42, bartelby said:

The Life Pedal was £300 on the merch stand last night. I still wasn't tempted...

Because it wasn't signed by the band!

EarthQuaker Devices Sunn O))) Life Pedal  2019 Gold, Autographed Box https://reverb.com/item/28052884-earthquaker-devices-sunn-o-life-pedal-2019-gold-autographed-box?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

2 hours ago, oZZma said:

Because it wasn't signed by the band!

EarthQuaker Devices Sunn O))) Life Pedal  2019 Gold, Autographed Box https://reverb.com/item/28052884-earthquaker-devices-sunn-o-life-pedal-2019-gold-autographed-box?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

Could have got it signed at the gig though...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have so many PCB's to do I've forgtten what some of them are - time to break out the soldering iron.  I know I have a breadboard kit for an old envelope follower filter thing that Larry Graham used to use (in like 1970 something) that I want to build in a pursuit of the ultimate funk - I'll start there!

On 31/03/2020 at 21:24, Rich said:

Two PCBs in the mail from Fuzzdog. Looking forward to some nice relaxing tinkering at the workbench. :)

Well, the mammoth clone works :D now to build the second part of the project and combine them. 

On 04/04/2020 at 20:52, disssa said:

Here is my schalltechnik_04 VONG:

I built one of these - great pedal - I think it really cleans up the bottom end - yours looks great - mine looks like an unreadble heap in comparison!

I've been going through my PCB backlog and it's all filters - envelope filter pedals and modular synth state variable filters - I reckon I have 2 months of build ahead of me.

• Like 1