Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

5 minutes ago, itu said:

Well, it really is smaller than the Shift-Line, but lacks connectors, and an external rotary encoder. Might be possible to build it inside some other effect, though. Consumes 110 mA @ 9 V which is quite a lot.

It seems to have been designed to fit in the battery compartment of AMT's line of preamp pedals - there are instructions in the datasheet of how to fit it in their LA2 series preamps. Didn't spot the current consumption figures. It's high, but wouldn't put me off I have to say!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I looked and looked and couldn't find the simplest of all pedals.. a simple in out mono switch to turn the distortion on/ off on my Billy Sheehan drive so that I could still use the clean channel loop. So despite being a cack handed fool with electrics there was no way I was shelling out £40 for a cheap drive pedal when less than £10 got me the components for this and I could run the in and out where I wanted. A quick Vicar and tart logo (vicar= clean in.. tart = dirty  out...obviously) and it works a treat. More importantly it takes up little space on my board. 

20190608_185034.jpg

• Like 3

I did one for mine but yours looks much better.

1214189601_bsdcutoff.jpg.794bc20c9d0ebc8f53019c1ff5259c48.jpg

EDIT: By the way, I sold the BSD above with the switch (its overdrive and compressor were not what I was looking (hearing?) for) and I've replaced it by a homemade blender and a drive that sounds better to my ears. I've kept the idea of the stereo jack for both sends and returns.

blender.jpg.f61c5d6ff9a9de0c52837360de84753d.jpg

Edited by Helbass
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^^ That blender is nifty! ^^

Here are two boxes I finished recently.

A 3 knob fuzz on a PCB from Fuzzdog, the Creme Fluff, I think it's a Frantone circuit. Sounds pretty massive with lots of lows and it has an amazing sustain. 

P1010418.thumb.jpg.e414aecd9cdf4b9b28a42004f738e348.jpgP1010413.thumb.jpg.245a528b93063faa11016376681897f8.jpg

And on a PCB from Deadend FX - a recreation of the first version of the Silver Rose, which is a Superfuzz (with mids switch) and an Opamp Muff run in parallel with a Mix knob to blend them to taste. Then there's also a clean blend and tone/presence. It's a monster fuzz with lots of different types of fuzz tones available. It works alright sound wise, but there is something fishy with either the switching or some grounding issue (?), as with certain extreme settings of the switches/knobs, the pilot light lights up in bypass mode. Doesn't bother me too much, as it sounds as it should and I'm not running it with those settings anyway. 

SiSuF.thumb.jpg.c65abb410b2b4415ccea68c6b95ccf93.jpg

SilverS.jpg.c204ab47214c3b1475c15922c38bc1d5.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/07/2019 at 11:29, Beer of the Bass said:

I put together a Madbean Naughty Fish PCB, which is more or less a Mutron III envelope filter in a smaller box.  I'd wanted something to do that reverse sweep “Bowwwp!" sound for a while, and this has it in spades. 

Reminds me that I must get around to building the meat sphere, the PCB for which I ordered from OSH 2 years ago... 

Here's something based on the Systech OD. The guy who designed the PCB I used  (https://www.instagram.com/laowiz/) is still tweaking the circuit and adding mods, so this is some sort of intermediate 1.1. version.

Cystek.thumb.jpg.4b63539278ad8e59fbe72de4a68f6f3f.jpgCysteg.thumb.jpg.1121eb55aa796ebf697ba11e51a890c4.jpg

What got added to the Systech circuit with this build is the "ZZZZ" control, which defines the shape of the distorted sound. It kind of goes from boost to the original OD to compressed fuzzy sounds.
Then there is a diode switch: the stock SI (914), NONE and currently GE. The two caps that shape the filter are also socketed and have currently different values than the original. Finally the input cap has been changed (7NF instead of 1NF) from the Systech design.

I might still try out different components, but it sounds pretty nice as is right now. It even does some cool white noise sounds with the Gain and Dist cranked when there is no input.

Here's a quick sample: first SI, then GE, then NONE, then no input. 

Edited by fuzzonaut
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 29/08/2019 at 08:03, bartelby said:

I’m putting in an order with Mouser this Sunday. If anyone needs anything small, that wouldn’t be cost effective to buy in its own, send me a PM. 

What are you going to put together? It would be cool to see some more builds here. Otherwise I'll just keep on boring you all with my stuff. 

Like this Data Corrupter, on a PedalPCB pcb. I added two mods, that is two switches,  that got mentioned by a smart guy:

Track, which lets you tame the madness a bit.

Freq, which gives you a another pitch for the oscillation.

It's a pretty wild ride, this pedal. 

SHR.jpg.91432e6456aa027ea35c9bb4704861dc.jpg

SHRG.thumb.jpg.8a1484636c9bb4f241b1110525b7c1d2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Large format boxes ideal for diy pedals being sold off half price (£3.32+vat) at Radiospares:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/general-purpose-enclosures/1465372/

Nice black finish. You will have to file the ears off, I've bought three.

image.png.5743ee8542f99fa149831383320d01b9.png

27 in stock

Ta! Just ordered a few for my pet guitarists high gain guitar pedalboard built!

• Like 1

On 31/08/2019 at 16:57, fuzzonaut said:

What are you going to put together? It would be cool to see some more builds here. Otherwise I'll just keep on boring you all with my stuff. 

Like this Data Corrupter, on a PedalPCB pcb. I added two mods, that is two switches,  that got mentioned by a smart guy:

Track, which lets you tame the madness a bit.

Freq, which gives you a another pitch for the oscillation.

It's a pretty wild ride, this pedal. 

SHR.jpg.91432e6456aa027ea35c9bb4704861dc.jpg

SHRG.thumb.jpg.8a1484636c9bb4f241b1110525b7c1d2.jpg

Got any details on those mods? Google has failed me. Just built the mini version, currently trying to stuff it into a 1590N...

8 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

Got any details on those mods? Google has failed me. Just built the mini version, currently trying to stuff it into a 1590N...

Sure, I'm just quoting the smart guy here:

FREQ: "C23 (the freq cap of the PLL), instead of soldering in this cap, run 2 wires from the pads to the center pads of a DPDT toggle. Now put the C23 (.1uf) on one set of the outer DPDT lugs and then put another value on the other lugs. I'm doing the .1uf and a .01uf." 
I used a higher value than .01uF ... I can check if you want, but I think it was 0.067uF.

TRACK: "The tracking mod basically just adds a wire from the left pad of R9 that goes to the center lug of a SPST toggle, one outer lug is left unconnected to anything, the other outer lug connects to one leg of a .1uf cap and the other leg goes to ground."

There is even another mod he mentioned, that I didn't add. But that would mean another switch and knob ... I'll leave it here anyway:

SIREN: "The siren control on mine is taking the 100R for R22 and putting it on one side of a DPDT toggle and putting a 10KB pot as a variable resistor. This is the same as lag control for the Schumann PLL circuit. Adds the option to make the Oscillator make those annoying siren sounds."

Hope this helps.

On 27/09/2019 at 11:59, fuzzonaut said:

Sure, I'm just quoting the smart guy here:

FREQ: "C23 (the freq cap of the PLL), instead of soldering in this cap, run 2 wires from the pads to the center pads of a DPDT toggle. Now put the C23 (.1uf) on one set of the outer DPDT lugs and then put another value on the other lugs. I'm doing the .1uf and a .01uf." 
I used a higher value than .01uF ... I can check if you want, but I think it was 0.067uF.

TRACK: "The tracking mod basically just adds a wire from the left pad of R9 that goes to the center lug of a SPST toggle, one outer lug is left unconnected to anything, the other outer lug connects to one leg of a .1uf cap and the other leg goes to ground."

There is even another mod he mentioned, that I didn't add. But that would mean another switch and knob ... I'll leave it here anyway:

SIREN: "The siren control on mine is taking the 100R for R22 and putting it on one side of a DPDT toggle and putting a 10KB pot as a variable resistor. This is the same as lag control for the Schumann PLL circuit. Adds the option to make the Oscillator make those annoying siren sounds."

Hope this helps.

Muchas Gracias, didn't find the extra frequency very useful but the siren mod very much leant into the "crazy woo woo noises" territory i enjoy, and the tracking mod was pretty handy. I'm impressed at how good a straight fuzz it is, though obviously it's all about the crazyness - 

IMG_20190929_155653.thumb.jpg.987c3dad6d8ade0405a1d5904effeced.jpgIMG_20190929_154353.thumb.jpg.6710aa5181ba6c649b6abea472e61e3b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

Muchas Gracias, didn't find the extra frequency very useful but the siren mod very much leant into the "crazy woo woo noises" territory i enjoy, and the tracking mod was pretty handy. I'm impressed at how good a straight fuzz it is, though obviously it's all about the crazyness - 

IMG_20190929_155653.thumb.jpg.987c3dad6d8ade0405a1d5904effeced.jpgIMG_20190929_154353.thumb.jpg.6710aa5181ba6c649b6abea472e61e3b.jpg

Oh, wow, fantastic!

Actually, I wasn't too sure about mentioning the Siren Mod as you said you wanted to put the whole thing into a 1590N,  ...... great you like the "woo woo noises" and I must say I'm quite impressed by your "squeezing abilities".