Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

My soldering station died. It doesn't heat anymore, it's stuck at 25°C, I have used It only for a month :(

I'm desperate, I can't just "buy another", this was a Christmas gift from my stepfather... Anybody has any idea of what can the problem be? :(

The display lightnens up, but it won't heat... I had an error message and "bip" signal before, but I turned it off and then it worked again, but not this time :(

2 minutes ago, itu said:

You have a DMM? Measure the heater element. Check the power cord to the wall, fuses, all connections... rule possible faults out, one by one.

Ok, thanks... Yes I have a multimeter, luckily (other Christmas gift for my stepfather :))

On 16/02/2019 at 22:49, itu said:

https://news.bloombergenvironment.com/environment-and-energy/uk-retailers-may-be-selling-lead-solder-in-breach-of-eu-ban-1

If you do a simple search, these news tell about ban, don't they.

I do admit that the lead version is far easier and better, for me at least. I bought something like 1 kg of it last February.

A single 6 line bloomberg article that cites no sources? Pretty much since RoHS was introduced people have been moaning about an "EU ban" on leaded solder, they don't do themselves any favours by making conclusive information difficult to find, but it's there - https://echa.europa.eu/fi/-/ten-new-substances-added-to-the-candidate-list 

Lead is on the SVHC Candidate list under the REACH regulation, meaning distributors have more obligations when selling it but is NOT an outright legal ban, it's a first step to moving to the "authorization list" which is a much stricter level of control and would potentially cause problems with supplying it. REACH has more legal teeth than RoHS, which is essentially optional. Consumer aimed retailers like B&Q etc. are probably not providing the necessary information, but this is a far cry from being in breach of an outright ban.

OK, here you go:

https://chemicalwatch.com/70930/uk-hse-reports-illegal-sale-of-lead-in-solders

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKHSE/bulletins/211f52e

I have read the necessary authorized information (sorry: in other languages than English, this is the reason I did not include the sources), and I have been working in the field (R&D in electronics) some time. I do not deny, that it is possible to buy it from some shops, but legal it is no more for us, mortal consumers. There are certain fields (military, aerospace, medical...) that can or must use lead.

On 17/02/2019 at 19:37, itu said:

You have a DMM? Measure the heater element. 

not sure how to check that, it has 4 wires.

IMG_20190219_191716.jpg

Edited by oZZma

4 minutes ago, itu said:

Those two wires that have that white (heat resistant) sock on them are the heater's wires.

Yellow-green is ground. It should go down to the wall plug's earth, so should be easiest to find.

Red and blue may be the temp sensor - if there is one.

Thanks a lot!!! 

https://www.ebay.it/itm/5pcs-Soldering-Station-Replacement-Heating-Element-Ceramic-Heater-24V-50W-A1322-/132668894763

https://www.ebay.it/itm/NEW-Heating-Element-78-201A-for-88-201A-Soldering-ZD-931-ZD-937-24V-48W-4cables-/153046686494

is "A1322" the type of heating element? So the cheaper ones are exactly the same and work on the same soldering pen models than the one that costs 8,81 € for ONE piece? 

On 06/11/2018 at 09:32, Bigwan said:

I noticed on instagram last night that pedalparts are about to start selling an ROG Ginger kit for anyone that's interested. Nice sounding fliptop emulation that can get into SVT-ish territory. I prefer it to the SFT.

Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old post but I'm thinking of ordering the Ginger kit from Musikding.de.

Can it function as a preamp, as in can it get fully clean but still add a vintage amp tone and character? 

I was considering using it as a pre for certain instances and recording straight into the desk. I just built the Guma Antique and would  like to put the Ginger after it. 

9 hours ago, Ray Jones said:

Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old post but I'm thinking of ordering the Ginger kit from Musikding.de.

Can it function as a preamp, as in can it get fully clean but still add a vintage amp tone and character? 

I was considering using it as a pre for certain instances and recording straight into the desk. I just built the Guma Antique and would  like to put the Ginger after it. 

It's certainly closer to what you're looking for than the Guma Antique would be. It was probably a little TOO clean for my purposes so it's definitely one you should try.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can I leave another one?

Here's a Parallel Drive, the bass version, built on a Damnation Audio PCB. It's quite simple but very useful, two drives in parallel, each side with gain and level.
The bass version has a cleanish boost and a rat style distortion, that you can mix to taste.

I added clipping options on both sides: GE-none-SI for the boost and LED-none-SI for the distortion (stock is SI on both sides).
There are sockets on the lugs of the clipping switches, so I'll try some more stuff in there.

It's an awesome pedal, the boost is very tasty and there are many different types of dirtiness to be had.

PD.jpg

PDG.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2019 at 18:46, itu said:

Ordered it. Bought it via Reverb.

The unit arrived today after our somewhat slow customs and post office. Shift-Line posted the package within two days after my order while they promised three days. Total cost including EU customs and VAT: 100 €.

+ Really well packed. I think you could play football with the box and the stuff inside would be just fine.

+ The electronics seem to be good quality, no tin balls or anything dirty.

+ The box is plastics (3D printed) and reasonably tough for the intended use.

+/- Size could be slightly optimized, but then the knobs would be prone to hits.

+/- 3D printing quality is what it is, but this helps to keep the cost very reasonable.

Now I need to record some IR stuff and start tweaking. If the quality of the sound is similar to the PCBA, it has to be good. Might come back later with some test results...

• Rich pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
Guest oZZma

I always wanted a decent feedbacker, I had the mod on the Cat King but it sucked (it only worked if NOT in the chain. Unacceptable for a $250 pedal)

I found this

https://diyshoegazer.tumblr.com/post/3042080186/diy-guide-to-feedback-loop-pedals

I haven't tried it yet but it's so cheap and simple I'll build it as soon as I get back home to Italy.

Interesting how "stupid" this build is, and how ridiculously expensive the commercial ones are. I wonder if they have some magic inside, but I doubt it.

Edited by oZZma

15 minutes ago, oZZma said:

I always wanted a decent feedbacker, I had the mod on the Cat King but it sucked (it only worked if NOT in the chain. Unacceptable for a $250 pedal)

I found this

https://diyshoegazer.tumblr.com/post/3042080186/diy-guide-to-feedback-loop-pedals

I haven't tried it yet but it's so cheap and simple I'll build it as soon as I get back home to Italy.

Interesting how "stupid" this build is, and how ridiculously expensive the commercial ones are. I wonder if they have some magic inside, but I doubt it.

I had a Ernie Earplugs Yam Hand that was basically that setup, but without the switches.

Lend it to a mate in Denmark, who turned out to be a bit or an derrière and he never sent it back...

Edited by bartelby