Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

Just discovered esr.co.uk from a link on the Fuzzdog website - seems really well stocked, and if their postage is as fast as Fuzzdog's then I might be onto a winner.

In other news I got a Wah enclosure from the 'bay for a tenner this morning; dug out n old 500mH inductor that I had kicking around and will be embarking on treadle-pedalled shenanigans later this week...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a CODA Effects Black Hole PCB, a Model T inspired preamp (4 x J201) with a boost (LPB1) in front of it. The boost was meant to be on a DPTD switch (or footswitch) with an internal trimpot to set the level of the boost.

I decided to have the boost always on and moved the potentiometer to the front. I also put C1, C2 and C7 into sockets, so that I could easily swap those caps for more bass if needed. Although, using the 3 band EQ, it can get pretty bass heavy with the stock values.

The pilot light didn't function as intended via the footswitch board (from pedalparts), so I had to run more wires than planned first ... :idk:
Anyway, the light works now (and is red, of course).

This could have fit into a smaller enclosure, sure, but I wanted to put numbered knobs and a jewel light on there to give it a bit of an amp like appereance - and I like big pedals!

O)))_1.jpg.1cfa86980fa443401430da6190934060.jpg

O)))_2.jpg.ea7359b790f64255b655d7ce646c6cdd.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fuzzonaut said:

Here's a CODA Effects Black Hole PCB, a Model T inspired preamp (4 x J201) with a boost (LPB1) in front of it. The boost was meant to be on a DPTD switch (or footswitch) with an internal trimpot to set the level of the boost.

I decided to have the boost always on and moved the potentiometer to the front. I also put C1, C2 and C7 into sockets, so that I could easily swap those caps for more bass if needed. Although, using the 3 band EQ, it can get pretty bass heavy with the stock values.

The pilot light didn't function as intended via the footswitch board (from pedalparts), so I had to run more wires than planned first ... :idk:
Anyway, the light works now (and is red, of course).

This could have fit into a smaller enclosure, sure, but I wanted to put numbered knobs and a jewel light on there to give it a bit of an amp like appereance - and I like big pedals!

O)))_1.jpg.1cfa86980fa443401430da6190934060.jpg

O)))_2.jpg.ea7359b790f64255b655d7ce646c6cdd.jpg

That looks flippin' awesome!!

You should sent a photo to SOMA. I think he'd like that!

Edited by bartelby

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2018 at 20:37, jetofuj said:

Brassmaster and Rangemaster with range and bias control - probably my favourite bass dirt boxes.

brass_6_top.jpg

brass_6_guts_3.jpg

black_booster_6_back.jpg

black_booster_6_guts_1.jpg

Those look so clean. My GGG Brassmaster died  when I tried to rehouse it, broke the switch with the 9 different solder points; so now I’ve got a Hiero Effects BEAD Fuzz coming (Brassmaster with a blend instead of dual level controls in a 125b with all top jacks).

Any reason the Brassmaster doesn’t have top jacks like the Rangemaster? Did you consider adding the master volume control to the BM? That was also something I wished mine had had.

Edited by jposega

I simply like Pete Cornish style of layout :) But I built these in smaller boxes before.

To me Brassmaster's huge output isn't really a problem + dirt control isn't that effective between different settings to bother.

Zeke is next :) It's already alive in test box, but I have to rehouse it.

brass_4_back.jpg

brass_4_guts_1.jpg

brass_5_back.JPG

brass_5_guts.JPG

On 23/06/2018 at 10:45, jposega said:

Those look so clean. My GGG Brassmaster does when I tried to rehouse it, broke the switch with the 9 different solder points; so now I’ve got a Hiero Effects BEAD Fuzz coming (Brassmaster with a blend instead of dual level controls in a 125b with all top jacks).

Any reason the Brassmaster doesn’t have top jacks like the Rangemaster? Did you consider adding the master volume control to the BM? That was also something I wished mine had had.

Beautiful work! Always in awe of people whose work comes out so neatly!

• Like 1

At the end of the day it's just a box you stomp on with your dirty boot :)

Here are another two older boxes.

Full freq Rangamaster with high gain CV3007 (mil spec OC44), so it gets dirty from the start. Of course it works great with tube amps, but it gives new life to solid state amps, imo. As it has beautiful high end zing I used to set the amps flat, with just a booster on as my main "eq/preamp".

I am a huge fan of germanium FF, but even well tuned FF might be too much on bass. So I used old clean up trick. The whole FF magic lies in guitar volume knob, but I don't see any bassplayer willing to actually use it. So I put pregain instad of fuzz control (which is fixed at max).

It sounds like this: https://bitchcraftband.bandcamp.com/

My mate used Rick into Hiwatt, with FF in between, to record all basslines.

black_booster_ltd_back.jpg

black_booster_ltd_guts.jpg

black_drive_back.jpg

black_drive_guts_1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetofuj said:

At the end of the day it's just a box you stomp on with your dirty boot :)

Here are another two older boxes.

Full freq Rangamaster with high gain CV3007 (mil spec OC44), so it gets dirty from the start. Of course it works great with tube amps, but it gives new life to solid state amps, imo. As it has beautiful high end zing I used to set the amps flat, with just a booster on as my main "eq/preamp".

I am a huge fan of germanium FF, but even well tuned FF might be too much on bass. So I used old clean up trick. The whole FF magic lies in guitar volume knob, but I don't see any bassplayer willing to actually use it. So I put pregain instad of fuzz control (which is fixed at max).

It sounds like this: https://bitchcraftband.bandcamp.com/

My mate used Rick into Hiwatt, with FF in between, to record all basslines.

That sounds bitchin'! And another really pro build. Do you know roughly what hfe your CV7003 was? Would you share your circuit values? I'd like to build one of these for myself!

Edited by Bigwan

These are stock Rangemaster values - I will send you PW in the evening with details.

Rangemaster was supposed to slam your amp with huge output as an always on effect, so it wasn't really a matter of transistor's gain that much, but interaction with an amp. Today pretty no one uses it that way, so I find it super cool to have a touch of grit from transistor itself from the start. With 9V I like 145-155 hfe, but it has to be low-noise transistor!

Edited by jetofuj

On 04/07/2018 at 18:23, jetofuj said:

Ha, sorry for being boring, but here's a big box Zeke I've just finished. And an old tiny high-gain NKT275's Fuzz Face.

black_swa_2_back.jpg

black_swan_2_guts_2.jpg

black_swan_2_guts_1.jpg

black_face_nr3_top.jpg

black_face_nr3_guts.jpg

Do you well these? If you don't you really REALLY should! 

I've tried once or twice :) But these are unbranded plain black boxes, with no resale value. I usually give them away or sell cheap to my friends or friends' friends. Good thing is that folks do really gig with them and use on recordings, which makes me happy 😊

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since I visited this thread but I’m glad I did! Some really nice pieces being handmade!

i wish I had the spare time to do some of my own! Right now, I’m just tracking down a predrilled box to put a preamp in. That will be as far as my DIY goes for the immediate future. I have tons of things I want to get on my old breadboard though!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, jetofuj said:

It's unbelievable quite here :)

black_swan_4_back.jpg

black_swan_4_guts.jpg

black_swan_4_side.jpg

25:17?

On 07/07/2018 at 11:34, jetofuj said:

I've tried once or twice :) But these are unbranded plain black boxes, with no resale value. I usually give them away or sell cheap to my friends or friends' friends. Good thing is that folks do really gig with them and use on recordings, which makes me happy 😊

Quality always sells. Marketed the right way these could be real earners...