Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

Different enough. I've built both and prefer the Antique by quite some margin, especially as an always on sound. As an additional layer of drive the Guma works well (hence why I sold my B3K and why I built a Guma - I could justify the price of it for how much I would use it, a B3K not so much!). What I haven't tried yet is stacking the Antique in front of my recently acquired Darkglass Vintage Ultra, using the Antique as another level and perhaps the Guma as a different flavour. How I integrate the greatest of all my DIY drives (modded BJFE Blueberry) is yet to be seen... Could get messy...

Finished my Pumpernickel compressor yesterday (hooray!) then forgot to bring it home from work to try (boo!)...

Really like my Guma Antique, sounds great. I'm imagining the Guma Drive has a bit more top-end content, which might be helpful in some instances. As above, I imagine they stack well together.
My Guma Drive is still sitting in my bits box ready to build.....rainy day project :)

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1501758131' post='3347143']
Really like my Guma Antique, sounds great. I'm imagining the Guma Drive has a bit more top-end content, which might be helpful in some instances.
[/quote]

Bang on. More top end control with the switches on the Guma, more mid range control with the Era control on the Antique. I haven't stacked them... yet.

Edited by Bigwan

My first kit arrived from bitsbox today, I expected a layout of some sort but there was nothing, there is a link from the page on the website which gives this:

But there is no wiring to and from the switch shown. Apologies for my ignorance (I am a diy pedal virgin), is there a standard way to wire the switch? And what is the best way to wire in an LED on/ off indicator?

Edit: found this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVt5ItB2HA which seems to cover the switch wiring well. Apologies for another stupid question but do I ground everything together? (The last time I played with electronics was over ten years ago and that was telemetry stuff, I can't believe how much I have forgotten!).

Edited by T-Bay

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1501840601' post='3347682']
There are several ways, and this one is less common but works well with high gain effects as it grounds the board input during bypass:

[/quote]
Brilliant! Just what I needed, thanks!

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1501842503' post='3347706']
Something to bear in mind is the 2k2 in the diagram above is just a guide, it will vary depending on what LED you're using. I would start with 4k7 and see how bright it is, a higher value resistor will make the LED less bright.
[/quote]

Yep, what he said. The CLR can be any value, so just try some and see what gives you the result you're after.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1501840749' post='3347685']
Brilliant! Just what I needed, thanks!
[/quote]

That would appear to be short-circuiting the DC input to itself via the top strip of the Veroboard guys - careful how you approach this one.

[quote name='Alien' timestamp='1501888878' post='3348101']

That would appear to be short-circuiting the DC input to itself via the top strip of the Veroboard guys - careful how you approach this one.
[/quote]
I know where to go on the Veroboard so no problem there, it was just the switch wiring I was unsure of. I think the wires to the board are just for illustration on that diagram.

• 4 months later...

Be gentle with me please. I am lost and it is a bit dark in here.

I have an Fdeck HPF which is built as far as the circuit board (7cm x 3.5cm) goes but I want to put it into the smallest box possible to hang under a bassuke fingerboard. The bassuke will be built like a very small DB so will have space under the fingerboard.

1. Can someone point me in the direction of the smallest + slimmest box possible?

2. Can I use a 12V Alkaline A23 Battery to power it cos it is smaller than a PP3?

3. I want to use an on/off switch instead of volume. Can I do this without an audible "pop" when I operate it and what would you suggest? Smallest is bestest.

4. I would like to have a passive roll off tone control. Can I do this with a 3 position mini toggle? A) no roll off B) half off C) all the way down. Is this possible with switching different doobries in on different positions? Stop laughing. I am doing my best.

5. I need to the HPF to have a pot on it. Possibly a thumbwheel one for more stealth. Yes/no?

6. Any reason not to use 3.5mm jack sockets for in and out?

Obviously I wll not be doing the work myself! But you had already guessed that.

TIA.

Edited by owen
Edited due to incompetence.

On 15/12/2017 at 12:58, owen said:

2. Can I use a 12V Alkaline A23 Battery to power it cos it is smaller than a PP3?

if it is the circuit here:

https://sites.google.com/site/hpftechllc/home/technical-diy-stuff

yes, you could use 12v. In an ideal world you would adjust the values for the higher voltage but nothing is going to go far wrong.

3. I want to use an on/off switch instead of volume. Can I do this without an audible "pop" when I operate it and what would you suggest? Smallest is bestest.

Almost certainly you would have an audible pop.

4. I would like to have a passive roll off tone control. Can I do this with a 3 position mini toggle? A) no roll off B) half off C) all the way down. Is this possible with switching different doobries in on different positions? Stop laughing. I am doing my best.

Yes

5. I need to the HPF to have a pot on it. Possibly a thumbwheel one for more stealth. Yes/no?

It already has a pot on it?

6. Any reason not to use 3.5mm jack sockets for in and out?

Other than ¼ jack plugs won't fit in them, no, a socket is as good as any other in this case.

On 12/15/2017 at 13:18, ahpook said:

My wife is buying me the Pumpernickel compressor kit for Christmas :)

Looks like a pain to drill the enclosure and the pre-drilled ones are sold out!  Might look at this in the near future as my MXR Bass Comp has just died (unless I can fix it).  Don't forget to let us know how you get on!

On 18/12/2017 at 19:36, Woodinblack said:

if it is the circuit here:

https://sites.google.com/site/hpftechllc/home/technical-diy-stuff

yes, you could use 12v. In an ideal world you would adjust the values for the higher voltage but nothing is going to go far wrong.

Almost certainly you would have an audible pop.

Yes

It already has a pot on it?

Other than ¼ jack plugs won't fit in them, no, a socket is as good as any other in this case.

4 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Looks like a pain to drill the enclosure and the pre-drilled ones are sold out!  Might look at this in the near future as my MXR Bass Comp has just died (unless I can fix it).  Don't forget to let us know how you get on!

My wife said Santa's got me one with an enclosure. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

Having built one I wouldn't attempt it without the pre-drilled enclosure. Not the easiest build with stacking PCBs, and it confirmed to me that I'm REALLY picky about compression (PWNZOR being the only one I've really liked that I've owned - carl martin optical thingy was ok). Sold it to @Gareth Hughes of this parish who likes it muchly - more than his original dbx. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the Pumpernickel this afternoon...it was an absolute pleasure to put together.

It sounds great, really impressed...no noise, lovely sensible controls. Couldn't stop playing through it.

Top marks again Schalltechnik, and I got stickers too :)

Just need to decide whether to try the transfer logo or maybe something a bit more bare bones with some zinc primer and spray varnish, maybe get Mrs. Pook to label it as she has very neat writing and would top off the Christmas present nicely.

• Like 1

i've been considering the pumpernickel for a while, I've built a few compressors on the breadboard recently and they've all underwhelmed me, the pumpernickel has a feature set that appeals to me. Anyone know if the Schalltechnik guy sells bare PCBs? Drilling out the enclosure doesn't look too bad and I can get the parts for way cheaper (working for Farnell has it's advantages).

The fruits of the xmas break -

IMG_20180106_014250.thumb.jpg.52a4aa9fa27f924a18b30b7107021ade.jpg

The fuzz is a tweaked Megalith, the gold enclosure was meant for a different pedal, and seemed at odds with the rather serious doom/heavy vibe of the fuzz, so i went overboard on the name. I believe it's what the kids call "irony". The flash hasn't showed it off well but it's got a gold glitter top coat that looks really good. The other one is the "(Howard the) Funk-a-Duck", because, well... who gives a duck? I ran out of knobs, more on the way. Howard is a bit of a mess, I'm still getting the hang of this decal business. 

On 1/6/2018 at 01:52, bobbass4k said:

i've been considering the pumpernickel for a while, I've built a few compressors on the breadboard recently and they've all underwhelmed me, the pumpernickel has a feature set that appeals to me. Anyone know if the Schalltechnik guy sells bare PCBs? Drilling out the enclosure doesn't look too bad and I can get the parts for way cheaper (working for Farnell has it's advantages).

You could always ask - Julian is the chap I've always dealt with and he's very helpful.

• Rich pinned this topic