Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1495720201' post='3306129']
Wow! That enclosure looks amazing!

I've had the kit lying around a while but haven't got round to building it yet. Getting the artwork looking somewhat decent around the toggle switches is putting me off a little, in all honesty.
[/quote]

Thank you! Artwork done in GIMP, printed on vinyl decal and a few coats of laquer.

As you can see, I too wimped out of trying to curl the text around the switches, Darkglass-style. Too tricky for me. There's actually a printable layout amongst the build instructions on the chap's website - perhaps you could just take the switch labelling from that?

It was a fun build, but board mounted jack sockets should be illegal... ;)

[quote name='El_JimBob' timestamp='1495790374' post='3306575']
There's actually a printable layout amongst the build instructions on the chap's website - perhaps you could just take the switch labelling from that?
[/quote]

Yeah I saw that but it doesn't seem to print the right size for me, despite the instructions stating to the contrary!

I'll probably just end up nicking your idea!

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1495791108' post='3306582']
Yeah I saw that but it doesn't seem to print the right size for me, despite the instructions stating to the contrary!

I'll probably just end up nicking your idea!
[/quote]

Check your print driver isn't scaling. Mine was.

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1495787762' post='3306521']
Thanks. I thought you might have used that. But seeing as you modified some component values I wondered if you found a schematic or reverse engineered one from the layout.
[/quote]

Not really, just knowing that increasing Emitter resistors decreases the gain of the transistor.

got a couple of kits on the way from fuzz dog. couple of questions before they get here.
I've read through most of this thread, but couldn't find the answers.
the enclosures. do any of you use an etching primer before spraying ?
the vinyl decal / t shirt transfer method, just checked my printer
don't suppose anyone knows if this method would work with a bubble jet printer ?

cheers tony

[quote name='2 left thumbs' timestamp='1496107393' post='3308844']
the enclosures. do any of you use an etching primer before spraying ?
the vinyl decal / t shirt transfer method, just checked my printer
don't suppose anyone knows if this method would work with a bubble jet printer ?
cheers tony
[/quote]
I just use normal primer.
t-shirt transfer works with bubble jet, but you need to use VERY little heat as the metal enclosure conducts heat like you'd expect, and the label will burn very quickly.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ok so I've made a start on the ultra tester,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If someone who understands this stuff could advise me, would be gert lush.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The instructions were written for version 1,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've got version 2, some of the resistor values have changed.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just want to make sure I've got them right,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And the right way around before soldering.[/font][/color]

[attachment=246587:screenshot_2017-06-03-16-53-21_35034073326_o.png]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]R 2+3 = 27k[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]R 4+5 = 4k7[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Image from Version 1 instructions[/font][/color]
[attachment=246588:screenshot_2017-06-03-12-11-01_34943326691_o.png]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've looked online to try to get my head around the colour codes.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Have I got this right.[/font][/color]
[attachment=246589:screenshot_2017-06-03-12-03-42_34263426403_o.png]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Instructions are here[/font][/color]
[url="http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Ultra_Tester/p847124_15700704.aspx"]http://shop.pedalpar...4_15700704.aspx[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks tony[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]hopefully pictures attached[/font][/color]

[quote name='2 left thumbs' timestamp='1496540799' post='3312209']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ok so I've made a start on the ultra tester,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If someone who understands this stuff could advise me, would be gert lush.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The instructions were written for version 1,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've got version 2, some of the resistor values have changed.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just want to make sure I've got them right,[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And the right way around before soldering[/font][/color]
[/quote]

That looks just fine to me. And resistors don't care which way round you solder them... :)

[quote name='El_JimBob' timestamp='1496662411' post='3313011']
That looks just fine to me. And resistors don't care which way round you solder them... :)
[/quote]

thanks El jimbob
I had done some reading up on resistors, version 2 values changed from 27k to 26k and 4k7 to 4k6
i'm sure there's a logical explanation for having 4 and 5 band codes, just completely befuddled me
for anyone in a similar situation this would be useful
[url="https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-resistor-color-code-4-band"]https://www.digikey....lor-code-4-band[/url]

ultra tester complete

[attachment=246841:2017-06-07_02-44-48_34983246192_o.jpg]

just need to work out how to use it :scratch_one-s_head:

[quote name='2 left thumbs' timestamp='1496804140' post='3313947']
thanks El jimbob
I had done some reading up on resistors, version 2 values changed from 27k to 26k and 4k7 to 4k6
i'm sure there's a logical explanation for having 4 and 5 band codes, just completely befuddled me
for anyone in a similar situation this would be useful
[url="https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-resistor-color-code-4-band"]https://www.digikey....lor-code-4-band[/url]

ultra tester complete

[attachment=246841:2017-06-07_02-44-48_34983246192_o.jpg]

just need to work out how to use it :scratch_one-s_head:
[/quote]

There's not really a logical reason for this, just a different system/standard for determining the value of that resistor. In my experience, blue resistors will be metal film, with brown resistors being carbon film with the only real differences being their tolerances (or variation in value) I think, metal tends to be around 1% and carbon around 5%.

Si

[quote name='2 left thumbs' timestamp='1496969986' post='3315060']
next one under way another fuzz dog kit. its juicy and blue and all being well berrylicious.
to be honest for a complete novice i think the kits are ideal. a bit like painting by numbers with solder.
[/quote]

Good choice. Best pedal I've ever owned. I've added a few mods to mine which made it even better for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Not built anything for a while so thought it was time I fired up the soldering iron again. I've been disappointed in the tremolo pedals I've had as the Boss TR-2 had a massive volume drop and the Marshall Vibratrem is too "polite" and can't do the extreme choppiness I wanted, so I order the "Puls" kit from Musikding. It's certainly not polite! I didn't spend a lot of time on the enclosure as it's not an effect I use that often, it just needs to be functional. Managed to get the drilling pretty much spot on this time though (there's usually at least one hole where the drill wanders a bit), so I'm pleased with it.

[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/chopper.jpg.html][IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e39/JohnnyWishbone035/chopper.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to building the Guma Drive kit I've been putting off for months due to apprehension over the SMD parts. Turns out I needn't have worried - it was actually pretty easy! Really like the pearlescent lacquer on this but I'm not sold on the silver knobs - might switch to the black ones that DarkGlass use on the original.

[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/JohnnyWishbone035/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A4ED47D9-1512-4639-BCF8-2C2ABC31F09E.jpg.html][IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e39/JohnnyWishbone035/Mobile%20Uploads/A4ED47D9-1512-4639-BCF8-2C2ABC31F09E.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Looking at dipping my toe into making a box or two. Has anyone used these people:

https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=280_281&products_id=2518&zenid=bm98ik1dmt5ih20f5bcqltmu53

Any feedback good or bad? Looking at the woolly mammoth for starters.

I've had a lot of "bits" from Bitsbox and can certainly recommend them. Never had one of their kits, but at that price you're laughing (it's laughably cheap as it's on veroboard rather than a proper PCB, but that shouldn't cause you any issues other than it being a bit more of a faff). I have had the Woolly Mammoth kit from PedalParts and it's an easy build, although it's one of those annoying circuits that doesn't play nicely with any sort of buffer in front of it, which renders it pretty much useless for me. Sounds great by itself, all the same.

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1499706964' post='3333053']
I've had a lot of "bits" from Bitsbox and can certainly recommend them. Never had one of their kits, but at that price you're laughing (it's laughably cheap as it's on veroboard rather than a proper PCB, but that shouldn't cause you any issues other than it being a bit more of a faff). I have had the Woolly Mammoth kit from PedalParts and it's an easy build, although it's one of those annoying circuits that doesn't play nicely with any sort of buffer in front of it, which renders it pretty much useless for me. Sounds great by itself, all the same.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info, The only thing in front of it would be a compressor. Would that give any issues do you think? Any other recommendations for a fuzz 'for beginner/ intermediate' to play with as a first build?

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1499709222' post='3333069']

Thanks for the info, The only thing in front of it would be a compressor. Would that give any issues do you think? Any other recommendations for a fuzz 'for beginner/ intermediate' to play with as a first build?
[/quote]

Depends on the compressor! Anything true bypass should be OK, although if you play an active bass then you may still have issues with the WM as the active circuit is buffered.

For an easy-ish fuzz build with plenty of scope for tweaking it's difficult to look past the good old Big Muff. It's a 'boring' choice I suppose, but there are several slightly different versions and so many tried and tested mods it's pretty much impossible to not find something you'll enjoy.

Fuzz circuits are generally simple builds, work well with bass and are very tweakable so there's absolutely loads of options. For a beginner I would recommend having a look at the "bass friendly" section of http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/ for a few ideas, especially as these kits come with a proper PCB rather than using veroboard. There's nothing wrong with vero, and it opens you up to a million other options, but a proper PCB makes for an easier build until you get the hang of it.

All that said, good luck with whatever you decide and, as always, YMMV.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

Thanks, I only play passive so may give it a go. I already have a big bass muff deluxe and want to give the Guma drive a try but wanted a simple kit to try first. I have done general repairs and basic electronics but never messed around with surface mount (but am lucky in having an electronics engineer as best mate).

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1499594461' post='3332360']
Finally got round to building the Guma Drive kit I've been putting off for months due to apprehension over the SMD parts. Turns out I needn't have worried - it was actually pretty easy!
[/quote]

That's good to hear - I've just ordered a Guma Vintage kit myself and the teeny-tiny transistors were making me worried !