Why become a member? ×

"Can I have a go on your bass, mate?"

arthurhenry

Had this happen quite a few times at weddings, its easy to say "I'm sorry mate but this gear is only insured if I'm using it, if its goes belly up then its your pocket."

But usually I'm very unprofessional about it and when they jokingly get ready to grab it and say "can I have a go mate?" I just put on serious angry face and say "No, you can't."

When I was in a band as drummer, the guitarist thought he'd try his Dave Grohl imprerssion on my drums and used my 10" splash as a crash cymbal. Result: a £150 metal frisbee.

Another time at one of our gigs, the support band were using my kit. (I wasnt happy about this, but was pushed into it) Come to our set, my favourite £300 crash cymbal is split right down to the bell. How he manged it, I have no idea. No apology or offer to replace it, just walked off. Bastard.

[quote name='TRadford' post='755575' date='Feb 23 2010, 10:04 PM']When I was in a band as drummer, the guitarist thought he'd try his Dave Grohl imprerssion on my drums and used my 10" splash as a crash cymbal. Result: a £150 metal frisbee.

Another time at one of our gigs, the support band were using my kit. (I wasnt happy about this, but was pushed into it) Come to our set, my favourite £300 crash cymbal is split right down to the bell. How he manged it, I have no idea. No apology or offer to replace it, just walked off. Bastard.[/quote]

To be fair to the bloke the crash was probably going to split pretty soon anyway, and he wasn't necessarily abusing it, so you could hardly expect him to replace it with a new one.
Unfortunately, by their nature (i.e. they're made of metal and you hit them) cymbals have a limited life.

This doesn't excuse his just walking off without an apology or discussion however.

I'd not let punters have a go and friends at gigs will come under that moniker. In my house though, yeah go for it, you'll probably be sober and will just want a sedate twiddle.

Saying that, I was a punter at an open mic night, and after they finished I had a quick chat to the bassist as he'd been playing a Chapman Stick alongside his Pedulla. He offered if I wanted a quick go, I actually turned him down as I was well aware I'd sunk a few pints and didn't want to risk it.

I don't see why other people are incapable of acknowledging that they're drunk and that instruments have a significant financial value attached to them. Hell, I'd be wary about trying a DB sober considering their cost, I wouldn't dream of it after any alcohol.

i've only ever had people ask me to play my instruments first, and i usually trust them, so i say yes - no drunk punters etc. I've had people in my bands just pick it up and start plucking, but they're good friends and i trust them by that point (and i always have strap locks on :) ) so i don't mind too much. I'm fairly protective over my instruments, if it's someone i don't know then i won't say yes, but a couple of dings never hurt anyone (especially on a natural finish 'wick)

Edited by budget bassist

I personally don't mind people playing on my basses. I wouldnt ever be able to tell if they had marked them anyway haha! I do like people to ask (unless its members from my band or friends) but for some people it may be the only chance they will get to play on a high end instrument.

We did a gig once with a band we'd never met before, we got there to set up and I saw a very very nice lakland on a stand, once we'd set up a guy from the other band came in, we all shook hands and so on, and I asked him if it was his bass, he said yea so I asked him if I could have a play and he said yea, and then he said he was going to meet some people and left.

So I was sat on the drum riser noodling on this very nice lakland jazz, when 2 other guys come in, all of a sudden I hear: "WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH THAT THING COST?!?!?!" After a little more shouting this guy said he was the bassist and was very annoyed I was playing his expensive lakland, very confused and apologetic I explained that the other guy said it was his. Turned out the other guy was the singer and they'd had a massive falling out over a girl, and the singer was trying to piss him off. The bassist was actually pretty cool about it, he realised I knew what I was doing and apologised for shouting. When the singer came back in grinning they kicked him out of the band and did an instrumental set.

Don't know what it is but this seems to happen to me all the time. Normally by the start of the last set some drunken tw#t picks up my favourite bass,staggers around,plugs it in and then tries to get my band my mates to jam with him.What an arsehole! Oh Yeh,its my turn "not" to drive again!

Edited by mikhay77

Sometimes it has its advantages to be a lefty :)
Few people are able to play my basses, luckily, so I don't get that question very often.
I don't mind other people playing my basses, as long as I know them and know they'll be careful. I will always turn down a complete stranger who asks me at a gig though.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='754772' date='Feb 23 2010, 10:24 AM']A lot of us are a bit precious over our instruments, so what's the best way of politely dealing with this unwelcome request, especially if they've just been eating crisps?

On one occasion I arrived at rehearsal for a pantomime gig and met the drummer for the first time in the car park, I carried some kit in including my bass in its case and returned to the car, crossing paths with the drummer again. When I went back into the venue, he was sitting there playing my bass! - Unbelievable![/quote]

Surely it's behind you now...?

[quote name='WarPig' post='755838' date='Feb 24 2010, 09:36 AM']Afraid not :rolleyes:

Burn away![/quote]

[Dons Black Cap] "You shall be taken from here to a place of lawful execution, where you will be hung by the neck until dead-and may God have mercy on your soul"
That's what's missing on this Forum-A good old dose of British Justice. We'll be allowing Vocalists and Drummers to post here before you know it! :) :lol:

It seems that most of us are OK with someone 'having a go' as long as they ask nicely. Others (like OTPJ) have a strict 'no chance' policy as their bass is their livelihood - I've used this excuse myself on more than a few occasions, even though I'm not a pro player.

But - what are peoples' feelings about bass bashes? Would you be happy to let anyone at a bash play your bass? At the last south west bas I found myself in a weird place of being surrounded by an abundance of amazing gear but with no idea of who to ask for permission to play it. :)

I used to be very possessive of my basses, but am significantly less so now. I often surprise myself! A week after I got my (then new) W&T Klimt I took it to band practice and everyone was amazed by it. The keyboard player (who's a bit hyper, but gotta love him) strapped the bass on and proceeded to 'faux slap' the bass... which basically involved him violently beating the body of the bass and banging the strings like it was a drum. There was a moment of :| in my head, but I wasn't too fussed. I trust my instruments not to break easily.

I do prefer to supervise but people rarely ask. Most people I know/meet seem to realise how seriously I take music and seem to appreciate it's not wise to act dumb with my gear.

[quote name='TheRev' post='755887' date='Feb 24 2010, 10:32 AM']It seems that most of us are OK with someone 'having a go' as long as they ask nicely. Others (like OTPJ) have a strict 'no chance' policy as their bass is their livelihood - I've used this excuse myself on more than a few occasions, even though I'm not a pro player.

But - what are peoples' feelings about bass bashes? Would you be happy to let anyone at a bash play your bass? At the last south west bas I found myself in a weird place of being surrounded by an abundance of amazing gear but with no idea of who to ask for permission to play it. :)[/quote]

Its a bit odd isnt it, I found myself happily letting people hav a crack on my bass through my amp, but its simply because they are bassists, they know what its all worth, and I'm watching them, and they dont know about the lead pipe up my sleeve in case they need reminding.... :ph34r: (in the immortal words of Ray Winston, "Where's your tool?" :rolleyes:)

I have no problem with Bashes, because a} we're all bassists, b} we're all sober, c} we're all on here, and d} I know where you live and therefore so does my mate Big Jon (remember him??) :)
But seriously... yeah bashes are fine, the more the merrier in fact. But generally, the answer to the question "Can I have a go on your bass, mate?" would be "Do I know you? No? Feck off."