Why become a member? ×

Best bedroom bass amp/combo?

Clarky

Does anyone have a recommendation for a really nice sounding, low volume and compact combo that .... here's the catch ... would not p*ss off her indoors aesthetically or size-wise if permanently installed in the bedroom. Just to be clear, not for rehearsals/gigs etc, purely for home enjoyment. I already have a Tascam bass trainer but I hate wearing headphones as it feels 'artificial'.

In terms of the general gist, alanbass1 has a Fender Champion, a small valve guitar combo (5W I think) with 6" speaker that sounds lovely at low volumes and looks pretty, but I would be a bit worried about the speaker if I pushed the volume ever so slightly or inadvertently hit the low E too hard (and I have no idea where I could find a replacement bass 6" speaker or who could fit it). The new Orange Pix 25W combo looks nice as well (and Mrs Clarky loves the colour orange which is a start!) but I haven't found any reviews of it. I know MarkBass and Phil Jones do small amps but they are very pricey and I don't want to pay that much (£400+ for the MicroMark is silly IMHO).

Any other thoughts, ladies and gents? More generally, why does noone make a tiny valve-driven Fender Champion equivalent for the bass? I would have thought there would be a huge market for bass players to have a small, great tone practice amp for home use only.

[quote name='Clarky' post='753236' date='Feb 21 2010, 08:47 PM']More generally, why does noone make a tiny valve-driven Fender Champion equivalent for the bass? I would have thought there would be a huge market for bass players to have a small, great tone practice amp for home use only.[/quote]

I've often wondered this too. I've got an Ampeg B50R, which sort of does the job and doesn't rattle the windows at lower volumes. It looks pretty enough to be allowed to sit in my living room. Also, if you whack it up it's a great little amp for playing with a drummer using brushes. It's like a bigger amp that's been shrunk (1x12). It's solid state, but still does nice warm old school Ampeg B series tone.

Very rare though. I've only come across mine (I bought from eBay about 5 years ago) and one other on eBay since.

Edited by bigjohn

I have an old Laney 30W thing which I bought in ignorance when I bought my first bass. It makes a noise. It's loud enough to practice with a drummer with the dampeners on. Therefore it does what it needs to.

If I had my time again, I'd look at a Roland Cube 30 for the built in effects giggle, or just try and find something light - that old Laney is pretty heavy for all that it does.

[quote name='largo' post='753546' date='Feb 22 2010, 10:16 AM']The little Line 6 110 amp looks good for bedroom practice. Small, loud'ish if required as a back up amp with DI out and headphones out which is important. Some amp modelling as well if that's your thing.[/quote]
+1. I rate mine very highly.

I have to say i think your on the money to be honest an orange amp is the way to go they sound amaizing ive heard a few different orange amps over the years bass and guitar and they all sounded fantastic i would think that would be an excelent choice. plus as you said the missus likes orange lol.

Markus

[quote name='largo' post='753546' date='Feb 22 2010, 10:16 AM']The little Line 6 110 amp looks good for bedroom practice. Small, loud'ish if required as a back up amp with DI out and headphones out which is important. Some amp modelling as well if that's your thing.[/quote]

+1

+1 here too. Love mine. Great wee amp.

If it's just for practising by yourself I wouldn't personally worry about tone too much. I mean I've spent years finding the tone I like in my gig rig but I'm happy practising through a rubbish 20w Axl amp thats probably worth about £20 :) I mean, why spend money finding your tone when all you're in your room and just need to hear yourself? Of course if you want to record through it that's a different matter. Guess the Tascam might help with that though?

Thanks all for advice, it seemed to come down to Line 6 vs Roland Cube, with votes evenly split.

So in true contrarian style I have ordered one of the new Orange Pix 25W combos (£110 from Sounds Live). At least someone will then be able to review it for BassChat! And Mrs C will so like the colour ....

[attachment=43329:Orange.jpg]

[quote name='Clarky' post='754192' date='Feb 22 2010, 06:39 PM']Thanks all for advice, it seemed to come down to Line 6 vs Roland Cube, with votes evenly split.

So in true contrarian style I have ordered one of the new Orange Pix 25W combos (£110 from Sounds Live). At least someone will then be able to review it for BassChat! And Mrs C will so like the colour ....

[attachment=43329:Orange.jpg][/quote]

That's an absolute bargain!

[quote name='largo' post='754254' date='Feb 22 2010, 07:22 PM']What's the dimensions on this little thing?[/quote]
Its about 34cm high, 32cm wide and 23cm deep. Have to say the tone is fairly rudimentary and it sounds quite percussive with a pick. I guess the old adage holds true - you get what you pay for! Not saying its bad, its just a little more basic sounding than I had hoped. But Mrs Clarky is enamoured with the colour!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I've got to join in here - I've just got rid of my little Peavey Microbass as it was too ba(s)sic, and the tone was poor.

Looking round for a small neat amp that will give a decent tone - the range of amps is amazing.

I must say I hadn't thought of the Line 6 110 though, and as regards the Roland, do you lose the sound when you use the line out as it is also the headphone socket, or is there an option/switch or whatever to keep the internal speaker on?

How about the Gallien Keuger Backline 110 (2) or the Hartke A35? Also was considering the Laney RB2 30 watter or Marshall MB30.

Has anyone had experience of any of these?

The trouble is finding a stockist of all the different types to try them out.....

:)

I just want the perfect minature, lightweight, cheap, feature filled amp - that's all!!! Oh yes, and if it was inflatable so you could roll it up and put it in your pocket that would be cool as well.

Gonna go to the Bacup guitar show this Sunday - there might be a bargain or so - but if not they do a great bacon butty and coffee at a fair price.

Anyone else going?