Why become a member? ×

Spector thread

alanbass1

seems while managing my attachments ive wiped off my last pics, DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have got soe better ones though courtesy of its previous owner Machinehead (cheers frank)

[attachment=78749:Spector_redone_1.jpg][attachment=78746:Spector_re_done_2.jpg][attachment=78745:Spe
ctor_re_d_3.jpg][attachment=78748:Spector_re_done_4.jpg][attachment=78750:Spector_redone_5.jpg][atta
c
hment=78747:Spector_re_done6.jpg]

Edited by lee650

Here's my more modest contribution - a recent acquisition, my NS-2JR-A. It's a 2008 Czech reissue of the 1983 original, with 83 of each colour (black, White and Natural) available worldwide. Very happy to have mine, the active EMGs making for a nice super-Jazz, if not perhaps to traditional Spector specifications.

Sorry they're a bit lop-sided. I bought the wife an iPad for anniversary - haven't mastered it!!!

Bass/hound crossover!

• Like 1

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1216565' date='May 1 2011, 02:27 PM']Here's my more modest contribution - a recent acquisition, my NS-2JR-A. It's a 2008 Czech reissue of the 1983 original, with 83 of each colour (black, White and Natural) available worldwide. Very happy to have mine, the active EMGs making for a nice super-Jazz, if not perhaps to traditional Spector specifications.

Sorry they're a bit lop-sided. I bought the wife an iPad for anniversary - haven't mastered it!!!

Bass/hound crossover!

[/quote]

Thats lovely,i'd like one in white, a nice alternative to the usual PJ arangment, just like gene simmons twin jazz spector.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1216565' date='May 1 2011, 02:27 PM']Here's my more modest contribution - a recent acquisition, my NS-2JR-A. It's a 2008 Czech reissue of the 1983 original, with 83 of each colour (black, White and Natural) available worldwide. Very happy to have mine, the active EMGs making for a nice super-Jazz, if not perhaps to traditional Spector specifications.

Bass/hound crossover!

[/quote]

VERY nice mate! Congrats :)
As you know, I have a black AND a white one of these and I love them.... :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1214652' date='Apr 29 2011, 10:17 AM']Some questions for the Spector users here - probably cetera.

I'm GASing for a 5-string T-Bird style bass and would be considering a Lull T-Bass except I'm not completely convinced by the Fender-style non-angled headstock or the bolt-on neck.

So the Spector Rex bass has caught my attention...

However having just spent a confusing half hour looking through all the different options on the [url="http://www.spectorbass.com/"]Spector site[/url], it appears that the Rex is only available in 5-string as part of the MIK Professional Series. The USA series Rex is 4-string only.

Then I noticed the [url="http://www.spectorbass.com/usa/neck-thru/forte_5x.html"]Forte 5X[/url] in the USA series. Very nice and much more T-Bird shaped than the Rex.

So how much better (and more expensive) are the USA models? I can find prices for the MIK Rex 5 easily enough, but the USA series appears to be made to order only. TBH I prefer the look of the Holoflash finish, but the headstock of the USA Forte is far more elegant (I think the MIK headstock is a bit too "Warwick paddle" for my tastes). From a quality PoV bear in mind that while I have plenty of cheaper basses that I enjoy playing, the ones I keep coming back to are my Gus G3s and Overwater Originals.

So go for the bling and improved upper neck access of the MIK Rex 5 or the quality and elegance of the USA Forte 5X?

Or are there more options that I've either missed or have been discontinued but available second hand?[/quote]

This is almost impossible to answer.... but for value for money the MIK Rex basses are an excellent purchase. If they aren't quite traditional enough for you then check out Bass Central or similar for a deal on the US made Forte range (though these are stripped down i.e. without crown inlays etc...

If Spector did a Legend 5X Classic you may have found the bass you want.... might be worth e-mailing them to see if they have any plans to do so? [url="http://www.spectorbass.com/professional/classic4x.html"]Spector Legend 4X Classic[/url]

Then, of course, there is the holy grail - the new NS2X range of USA Thunderbird shaped basses.... [url="http://http://www.spectorbass.com/usa/neck-thru/ns-2.html"]Spector NS2X[/url] - again not sure if they do these as 5-string versions but, if they do, expect to pay in the region of £4K for one of the beauties....

It's all down to your budget and your personal requirements re: traditional looks etc really, but PJ at Spector will be more than willing to advise should you consider ordering. Good luck in your quest!

[quote name='cetera' post='1218724' date='May 3 2011, 03:46 PM']VERY nice mate! Congrats :)
As you know, I have a black AND a white one of these and I love them.... :lol:[/quote]

What, the Daschund? :)

Very much enjoying mine, does the business nicely. I just need some strap locks as the body shape means I tend to push it off the strap at the front moving about.

Would definitely like another one, at some point. Will see what I opt for - and I'll probably be begging your advice again Gary, always appreciated :D

[quote name='cetera' post='1218814' date='May 3 2011, 04:46 PM']You're both MORE than welcome chaps :)[/quote]

Hey Gary while we're all picking your brains,ive been having another browse through your collection and you,ve a few euros, how would you compare the tone and build quality of the early all maple versions and the current alder/walnut/maple LX versions?, ive played a couple of Lx's breifly in the past and liked them, but not spent an amount of time to really get a feel for them.
Cheers mate :)

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1218761' date='May 3 2011, 04:09 PM']What, the Daschund? :)

Very much enjoying mine, does the business nicely. I just need some strap locks as the body shape means I tend to push it off the strap at the front moving about.

Would definitely like another one, at some point. Will see what I opt for - and I'll probably be begging your advice again Gary, always appreciated :lol:[/quote]

Hey Gust0o, I just picked up some strap locks for mine as it had the stap lock buttons but not the pins for the strap.

I ended up plumbing for [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003T71AVE/ref=oss_product"]these[/url] which as it turns out use the exact same pins as were already on my Spector. They're dead easy to use and seem very secure (they've survived all my kick-jumping and moshing antics so far). My one complaint is that you can't really tuck your lead through between your strap and bass body before plugging it in as it runs the risk of engaging the unlock mechanism. It's a minor point, and I know what I'd prefer out of my lead accidentally unplugging from my bass, or my beautiful Spector smashing on the floor :)

[quote name='lee650' post='1216367' date='May 1 2011, 09:46 AM']Ive just noticed the middle laminate in the neck is flamed, NICE!!!! i dont think ive seen that before, probably very usual though[/quote]

Yeah, it runs right the way up from top to tail. A rather beautiful addition which reminds me of some of the Ritter basses I've seen, like the last one on [url="http://www.ritter-instruments.com/available.php"]this[/url] page :)

[quote name='lee650' post='1219173' date='May 3 2011, 08:56 PM']Hey Gary while we're all picking your brains,ive been having another browse through your collection and you,ve a few euros, how would you compare the tone and build quality of the early all maple versions and the current alder/walnut/maple LX versions?, ive played a couple of Lx's breifly in the past and liked them, but not spent an amount of time to really get a feel for them.
Cheers mate :)[/quote]

Not a lot in it to my mind, but the earlier all-maple ones have maybe a touch more authenticity of the classic US NS2 about them....
Both models were/are excellent value for money and the build quality is NEVER less than superb... :)

[quote name='chuck_stones' post='1219177' date='May 3 2011, 08:58 PM']Hey Gust0o, I just picked up some strap locks for mine as it had the stap lock buttons but not the pins for the strap.

I ended up plumbing for [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003T71AVE/ref=oss_product"]these[/url] which as it turns out use the exact same pins as were already on my Spector. They're dead easy to use and seem very secure (they've survived all my kick-jumping and moshing antics so far). My one complaint is that you can't really tuck your lead through between your strap and bass body before plugging it in as it runs the risk of engaging the unlock mechanism. It's a minor point, and I know what I'd prefer out of my lead accidentally unplugging from my bass, or my beautiful Spector smashing on the floor :)[/quote]

Chuck, I've got some generic Chrome knobs in there at the moment - so I think you might have started with different pins. The Marvel ones look very similar to the old Warwick straplocks, which are great, so thanks for the heads-up :lol:

I was digging in the other week, for a particularly heavy part of a track called The Dark... and pushed my strap off the knob on the upper horn. I nearly sh*t myself when I felt it go. Ended up looking like Rob Trujillo, trying to hold the bass up and keep playing. I had to duck out of the verse to sort myself out :)

[quote name='chuck_stones' post='1219182' date='May 3 2011, 09:02 PM']Yeah, it runs right the way up from top to tail. A rather beautiful addition which reminds me of some of the Ritter basses I've seen, like the last one on [url="http://www.ritter-instruments.com/available.php"]this[/url] page :)[/quote]

had this bass for a while absolutely loved it (it made me buy my usa 5 string spector)
the tone on this bass imho is better than my usa spectoR!!
would buy it back again
had to trade it to get my sei 4 , but this is the closest youll get to a. a usa spector and b. a doug wimboush model for under a grand ,
this is a very early chech spector and was advised that the through body wings and the neck etc are a bit speciel,
i upgraded to gold knobs!!!
enjoy!!!!

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='1220283' date='May 4 2011, 09:01 PM']Chuck heres some picys of the spector for you .[/quote]

Was just about to say that it looked like mine, then realised that mine was yours, lol. It really is an absolute beauty (sorry to rub it in).

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='1220273' date='May 4 2011, 08:54 PM']my usa 5 :)
thinking of selling /trying to sell/ very confused!!!!
not sure what to do???[/quote]

I'D MUDWRESTLE MY OWN MOTHER FOR A CRACK AT THAT BASS!!!!! just gorgeous shame your selling, spectors just look and sound so good :)

Edited by lee650

• Rich changed the title to Spector thread