Why become a member? ×

Spector thread

alanbass1

Oh go on then.... :rolleyes:

Here's a pic from a couple of years back of my complete collection.... there have been some new additions which I haven't taken pics of yet.

A couple of these have also moved on to fellow Basschat members... the natural Euro & the Zebrano Euro... :)

To break them down a little....

These are original 80's US Spector NS2's... the black & white are Kramer made and sunburst is pre-Kramer. All have HazLab preamps... :lol:

These are Euros & Euro LX's (aplogies for the over-exposure of the colours in this pic...)
The blue, white & plum ones are original solid maple Euros. The white JJ pickup is a NS2J ltd reissue and the wood/zebrano ones are Euro LX's...

My 'holflash' Spectors. The one on the left is a full custom order US Black/Blue Holoflash with amazing abalone inlays... a beauty! Holoflash doesn't show well in this pic though.
The one on the right is a Rex-4 model in standard holoflash.

My beautiful Poplar Burl Euro LX.... stunning!

My Asian-made Kramer Spector NS2A basses from the late 80's...... great basses!

This is my oldest Spector and one of the first ever made. Made in approx 1976/77 this is an original SB1 with Dimarzio pickup.

Some Spectors I don't have anymore...

First up is an original early Euro NS2J reissue

Next up is my only foray into 5 string. A stunning Euro5 which I loved but as I'm 99% a 4string player just wasn't being used enough to justify me having it...

A gorgeous Spector ReBop I sold a few weeks back to fund something else. I WILL get this back someday...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

[quote name='cetera' post='753608' date='Feb 22 2010, 11:28 AM']The one on the right is a Rex-4 model in standard holoflash.
[/quote]

Stunning collection.

There's something really really appealing about that Rex. Love the shape.

My Cherry Euro 4LX has been "the bass" for my covers band recently, particularly since I changed the Tonepump for an EMG BTS. It does all the P and J sounds I need but just punches through the two guitars. In a constructive way of course! :)

However, just really fancy something a little more "rock'n'roll" and I've played enough T-Birds to know they're not for me.

Cetera, How's it compare sonically and playability to the Euros?

Tony

My Euro 4LX.

Just an amazing bass, love it to bits and it does everything.

I've pimped it a little, adding a Hipshot and also upgrading the boost only Tonepump to a EMG BTS. The preamp upgrade has made such a difference.

Now looking for a Rex, cetera's one looks stunning and the idea of having something a little more "rock'n'roll" but still having the tonal refinement and playability really appeals to me.

Tony

[attachment=43370:Basses_4.jpg]
[attachment=43371:Basses_14.jpg]
[attachment=43372:Basses_21.jpg]
[attachment=43373:Basses_23.jpg]

Beautiful Euro Tony!

The Rex I have is just as playable as the Euro but actually has a slightly slimmer, more comfortable neck.
Soundwise it comes fitted with EMG-Hz pickups which are tight, crisp & punchy but could benefit from upgrade to full EMGs & maybe even the BTS circuit for a fuller, more ballsier tone...

[quote name='cetera' post='754820' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:16 AM']Beautiful Euro Tony!

The Rex I have is just as playable as the Euro but actually has a slightly slimmer, more comfortable neck.
Soundwise it comes fitted with EMG-Hz pickups which are tight, crisp & punchy but could benefit from upgrade to full EMGs & maybe even the BTS circuit for a fuller, more ballsier tone...[/quote]

Didn't realise they were EMG-HZ's. Thought they were EMG 35s as standard. Agreed, the upgrade to EMG pickups and BTS would make it sound even more fabulous.

How does it balance? Sonically, how do they compare to the Euros?

Those questions outstanding, you've probably already convinced me. Think I'm gonna have a look around for one, strap it round my knees and get rocking! lol

T

[quote name='tonyf' post='755113' date='Feb 23 2010, 03:47 PM']Didn't realise they were EMG-HZ's. Thought they were EMG 35s as standard. Agreed, the upgrade to EMG pickups and BTS would make it sound even more fabulous.

How does it balance? Sonically, how do they compare to the Euros?

Those questions outstanding, you've probably already convinced me. Think I'm gonna have a look around for one, strap it round my knees and get rocking! lol

T[/quote]

Sonically, see my previous reply...
Balance-wise they're fine! No 'major' neckdive like on a Thunderbird. :)

There's a gorgeous 5'er for sale in the forum classifieds here. Otherwise, you should be able to find a 4 relatively easily...

• 1 month later...

[url="http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs434.snc3/25014_341480957310_551842310_3368815_1200422_n.jpg"]http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...5_1200422_n.jpg[/url]
[url="http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs434.snc3/25014_341480972310_551842310_3368816_4773497_n.jpg"]http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...6_4773497_n.jpg[/url]
Just bought her, Legend Custom 5 NT - lovely bass, my first Spector!!

Here are mine (past and present)

These are two NS5CR's. The sunburst one is 98 I think and has a thicker neck profile than the natural one. Also sounds a little brighter. Both have 34" scale and the EMG's were replaced by Wizards. The preamps were replaced by a U-retro and a Noll 3 band parametric. The Wizards are much clearer and flatter overall, and I asked for a frequency hump right at the low end of the spectrum so I can get a nice fat B string. The pickups have coil splits which mean I can get a range of sounds including a very convincing Jaydee tone on the bridge coil!

And I sold this Euro 6 last year

Didn't sound as focussed as the NS5CR basses so I sold it although it was my main gigging bass for a while.

• Like 1

Well it's 1.30 in the morning and I'm stuck at work til 7 so I'll dig out a photo of my Euro LX when I get home in the morning. As for the difference between the US and Czech models I really can't see
a massive difference. I've played both and loved both equally. The quality of the Euros is excellent.

[quote name='7string' post='789059' date='Mar 29 2010, 12:58 AM']Spector's have to be one of the classic bass designs.

I know I've asked this before (and I have a mind like a sieve), but how do the Euros compare to the USA's ?[/quote]
Apart from the fingerboard and preamp, there's not a lot of difference between early NS5CRs and NS5XLs. Later Euros had a 35" scale, alder and walnut laminate body wings and there are some early Euros (around 2000-2001) that are a transition between the two.

Here's my 'first' Spector, just recently purchased from 'NickSpector' on here.

She's a 35" scale 5 string Rex Brown in trans black. When I got her she was fitted with EMG 40P5 and 40DC pickups wired via two volumes straight to the output jack. This config was way too hot for my tastes and it was very difficult to get the pickups dialled into the sweet spot. So, with the help of 'Bassulike66' who was selling a set of the pickups as were originally fitted, I've restored her to the factory config of EMG Hz passive pickups and the BTS tone circuit. A new set of strings and a repositioned strap button completed the picture and now she's making the sort of noise I like.

This is the first neck through I've owned and the neck profile is narrower deeper and quite 'clubby' compared to my other basses. This does make for a comfortable five string to play, but I need a longer strap, as with a standard strap its a bit of a stretch to get down to the bottom three frets.

The only problem is, I now have serious Spector gas to go with my Status gas, Musicman gas........... :)

• Rich changed the title to Spector thread