Why become a member? ×

Spector thread

alanbass1

33 minutes ago, cetera said:

Love the colour of that. If I saw a cheap PJ loaded version of it I'd be all over it...

I saw it and couldn’t resist hah! I think the rrp is ~£1400 but this was on sale new for £800, if a p/j one comes up I doubt it’d be too expensive! 

I have a Spector Performer 4 and I'm about to change the EMG-SSD pups as to my ear they have no bottom end and they're all pushed mids.  Whoever owned the bass before me had a go at the wiring and it's a shambles so I'm going to rip everything out and fit all new.

I've got a pair of passive P28 Music Man style pups 7.14k ohms from C.H.Guitars http://www.chguitars.co.uk/pickups/bass-pickups/p28-music-man-style-bass-pickup-1991.html and I have been recommended to fit A500K pots for the 2 volume, a B500K pot for the tone and a 0.022uf cap.  Does anyone have experience of changing the pups in a Performer and how does this look to you?

Any comments would be greatly received.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Spector Performer but I hated the EMG-SSD pickups, on Saturday I waved goodbye to the EMG's and installed a new pair of Music Man style humbuckers from C.H.Guitars.

It now has the clearer and louder sound that I wanted and I can't wait to explore the new sounds.

3 - Copy.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 2

Picked up this earlier in the week.  EuroLT.  Needed a bit of work despite only being a couple of months old.  Truss rod wasn't doing anything at all.  That said, it now plays nicely.

This is my first foray into Spectors; initial impressions?  Well it's very pretty, forking tiny compared to my Lulls, nice chunky neck profile, fairly lightweight, balances nicely.  Due to work commitments (and two lost evenings working on it!), I haven't really noodled much, but it's very lively...will do so in the next day or two.

20191007_200336.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Ok, just discovered this thread. Great opportunity to showcase my Spector basses again 😎 

First up is my beloved Euro Mike Starr LE with Haz 9V. This bass has some serious oomph. Not sure my neighbours appreciate it though 😀

853337779_SpectorEuro4MikeStarrLE.thumb.jpg.55d48390b9201d62f032a13a85c3d633.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to see the difference in body shapes between Brooklyn/Kramer NS 2 basses and  later instruments. When  Stuart moved to Woodstock back in 1992 all the original Brooklyn/Kramer tooling was still owned by Kramer in New Jersey , essentially he had to restart from scratch. Looking at the euros, the body behind the bridge has a pronounced “pull/stretch” from the centre resulting in a more symmetrical appearance. Photo - Top Euro (walnut) . Lower - Kramer (amber)5C732BA0-9A12-4989-860E-C58B72A49B43.thumb.jpeg.8c779d256212495e7baea098211e699d.jpeg.

• Like 1

Hey everyone 

Am after a Spector Legend 5 Custom string but can’t seem to find any info on the weight of them!

Just wondered if anyone had this particular model if they knew what the weight was?

Cheers in advance

Dan

Edited by Bassmurf

On 27/05/2020 at 10:39, barrycreed said:

No picture to add, but thinking of picking up a performer, and putting an Oil City Overkill in the bridge position, and something else in the p pickup slot. (Or a Legend maybe), will see what comes up on the used market.

@Eldon Tyrell that's a beauty!

I bought a second hand Spector Performer and put in some MusicMan style pups because I hated the weak sound that the EMG-SSD’s gave.  I also changed all the hardware to black and added some knurled knobs, now it’s a beauty that growls 👍🏻😁

FE296D2C-3265-4E5D-9F5C-069B439D9A4C.jpeg

• Like 4

Received this today, and its absolutely smashing..should have bought one years ago, the necks just wonderful i've never played a bass with the action so low it really does suit my sausage fingers to a T. DiMarzio's combined with the TonePump sound excellent all in very happy indeed..O & @Damonjames glad you didn't buy it 😁

20200605_165313.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dov65 said:

Received this today, and its absolutely smashing..should have bought one years ago, the necks just wonderful i've never played a bass with the action so low it really does suit my sausage fingers to a T. DiMarzio's combined with the TonePump sound excellent all in very happy indeed..O & @Damonjames glad you didn't buy it 😁

20200605_165313.jpg

Enjoy and welcome to the 77 club 😎

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dov65 said:

20200605_165313.jpg

Really pleased for you mate, it really is a stunning bass and I did struggle to put it back on the rack. 
Let me know if you ever decide to sell it 😄

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, got a question about a possible purchase that I'm hoping some wonderful Spector-owner can answer!

I've been offered a Euro 4 LX (bolt on, with Aguilar pickups) for £925. Seems like a good condition instrument but I'm find it hard to see previous examples online or find good sound samples. Given the good condition, can anyone advise on whether or not it's worth trying to haggle? My gut feeling is that it's a very fair price but I thought I'd check with those more knowledgeable than me first. :) 

• Rich changed the title to Spector thread