Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Affirma AFR 105

ialma

Have another bump.

£800 is absolutely the correct price for this instrument. There's a lot of interest in these basses - they're talked about on the forums a lot, they're VERY collectable and they feel really SPECIAL in your hands due to the unique ergonomics. At the very least they'll hold their value... but are far more likely to increase in value.

PS. If you prefer, the original designer, Rolf Spuler will make you a new one for €5000!!!! :)

Yes, it's equipped with five perfectly working piezo pickup saddles.
BTW one of these was DOA when I bought it and I had it refurbished.
This bass has an extremely clean sound, the piezo alone has a bit high sound, but mixed with the magnetic pickup sounds very good
A very distinctive sound.

This bass IS perfect.
Not a single belt rash. Nothing.
The only missing item is the cover of the piezo trimmers, but I bought it like this.
How did I came to get the bass ? Luck, really.
The seller had it in its closet because he had quit playing five years ago and almost forgot it there.
I have been longing for an AFR from 15 years and bought it immediately.

For the two most common reason why people sells instruments.
1) because I need the money
2) because I want to move to something else
Yes, I'm based in Italy. DHL works well, so shipping won't be a problem.

Whoever grabs this will never regret it. I once owned an A305 - flamed maple - and stupidly sold it. Light, resonant, exotic woods, full punchy sound, graphite reinforced neck. These are definitely the best thing Ibanez ever produced. If I had the money this would be gone at 800GBP.

• 1 month later...

Bump for "Someone grab this unique bass". Alas I have no way of buying it now but they look great, they are light, resonant and sound great. I will go out on a limb and say they are the best bass Ibanez have ever had their moniker on. Serious boutique quality.

[quote name='Dogame' post='753446' date='Feb 22 2010, 03:49 AM']If it's helpful for people over there, I had seen one like this (but fretless) available at NYC's Sam Ash shop a year ago, and it was something like $725 if I don't remember it wrong. Beautiful nice bass, top of the line made in Japan![/quote]
I've played the one that was in Sam Ash in NYC. The price on that was lower because it was in such battered condition, plus of course it was fretless so the market for it is smaller. I would have bought it, if it hadn't been for the amount of damage to the body and neck and the fact that the natural wood finish would make it too expensive to restore to a condition where I would be happy to use it.

I think that every bass player in his forties has drooled over this bass in the Ibanez catalogues back in the days :)
That's the reason why I have bought in first place :rolleyes:
Yes, it may be mega collectable, but the interest in very scarce.
I have listed it on TB and something is moving though.
I'd trade it for a Zon with cash on my side, depending on the instrument.

[quote name='flippyfloop' post='818130' date='Apr 25 2010, 04:48 PM']I wish this was a four.
I remember drooling over these in the Ibanez catalogue back in the day. Brings back all sorts of memories.
First one I've seen since. Must be mega collectable by now. One of the quality Ibanez'z'z's.[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ialma' post='818261' date='Apr 25 2010, 05:12 PM']I think that every bass player in his forties has drooled over this bass in the Ibanez catalogues back in the days :)
That's the reason why I have bought in first place :rolleyes:
Yes, it may be mega collectable, but the interest in very scarce.
I have listed it on TB and something is moving though.
I'd trade it for a Zon with cash on my side, depending on the instrument.[/quote]

Hi, new member here - much more of a 6/7 string Novax/Andreas/Kritz guitar guy to be honest, but joined because of discussion of this listed AFR 5, having just bought an AFR4 'new old stock' 2 weeks ago. Conversation with shop - originally said that it was with case, once I agreed to buy they said they'd take $1000(that's Hong Kong dollars) off price...as no case (was already a good price so, purchased). So, now I have a maple AFR 4 string... was interested in Ialma's 5... as that looks to be an excellent bass too.

A week later, go back to shop - they have had a Pearce G1 on sale (more warehouse n.o.s. from the 80's /90's), but now it's reserved for a customer. Then I see the case - for my AFR on the floor...hmmm... then get a bigger surprise when salesguy opens case and takes out another AFR (also maple, but it's been in case for 15 years unlike sunlight one I got week before from store..so. this one is slightly different colour). What the hell, they end up selling me the second one too. My excuse, I travel between Hong Kong + other countries during the year - my wife is not convinced, anyway. As a newbie, I'm not familiar with where to post photos of these 2 maple AFR4's - it's interesting to see the difference between in-case + 15 years of sunlight on a body + how wood was used differently on both... Anyway good luck to Ialma - these are GREAT bases!!

ps - someone let me know where's best to upload images of these 2 AFRs together, then I'll do it, pics. would appeal to those who love their flame maple bodies!! My compression software is not working currently - on pics. - but I'll see what I can do to reduce size...

Edited by kasperbauer

• 2 weeks later...